• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Atheist arguments

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I suppose I would be the same as u guys I don't feel there is very much acceptable evidence for athiesm and I find the arguments for a creator (and specifically a Christian creator) compelling

Just curious, but why do you feel the evidence for the christian god is more compelling than all other proposed gods?

Some of them have much more compelling evidence than the christian god, imo; especially when you take into account that the bible is full of contradictions (such as Jesus's lineage through Joseph in Mark and Luke, even though Jesus was born via immaculate conception, which also has zero extra biblical evidence supporting it now that I think about it like every other miracle) and inaccuracies (such as the historical events and people related to Xerxes in Esther that we know didn't happen or weren't there) and yet the bible is supposed to be the innerant word of God?

Why is that more convincing than other religions or scruptures?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I remember loving arguments and apologetics when I was a teenager/young adult (32 now haven't been young for a while ;).)

So I was curious what do atheists think is there most convincing argument against God?
Atheists have a problem: they don't know what they are talking about.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ha. I'm not really a "prove god does not exist" since I wasn't raised abrahamic so don't know what god is to form more than an opinion. Nonetheless, it seems all gods tend to be a part of people's culture, interpretation, and their need to find purpose and meaning. Whether they see it as an incarnation, practice, or experience like a spiritual awakening, it pretty much goes back to humans. Thousands of years ago we used to think we were the center of the universe (maybe hundreds or decades, who knows?). Maybe we used to think gods are actually real just as human beings.

Another thing is we have so many definition of god(s) that to even say one exist and the others do not is really pushing it. Unless one can prove humans don't have a connection and creation with the gods they believe in or experience in practice, I don't really have other arguments. "No evidence" isn't really a thing I use because there is evidence of god and people's experiences of gods just not in the way most atheist on RF tend to define it (and accept from others how it is defined).

Tarasan, if you believe in god (Muslim, Jew, Christian, whomever), how do you define god and prove god's existence outside your own (and other people's) interpretation of it?

I remember loving arguments and apologetics when I was a teenager/young adult (32 now haven't been young for a while ;).)

So I was curious what do atheists think is there most convincing argument against God?

Everyone seems to have their own idea of god. What is the nature of god that you're looking for arguments against?

Colt

My favorite is that Atheist seem to know what God would be so they can tell us what he isn't.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
My favorite is that Atheist seem to know what God would be so they can tell us what he isn't.

Well, I don't do that as an atheist, because I am a strong skeptic. I know nothing. The only thing I am as an atheist is a human without a positive belief in theistic and deistic gods.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I haven't heard that. Many atheist on RF tend to have their own versions of god (not because they are an atheist but because theist tell them what god is). If atheist didn't have that indoctrination or so have you, they couldn't talk about god to where it renders any conversation about it irrelevant.

Can you give an example of them telling you guys what he isn't?

Usually, you have to have a concept of god to tell you if you're wrong about your concept. Many atheist just throw out the concept altogether.

tarasan

Just curious, but why do you feel the evidence for the christian god is more compelling than all other proposed gods?

Some of them have much more compelling evidence than the christian god, imo;

QUOTE="SigurdReginson, post: 7032499, member: 67726"]especially when you take into account that the bible is full of contradictions (such as Jesus's lineage through Joseph in Mark and Luke, even though Jesus was born via immaculate conception[/QUOTE]
Joseph took him as his son mate.

QUOTE="SigurdReginson, post: 7032499, member: 67726"]which also has zero extra biblical evidence supporting it now that I think about it like every other miracle)[/QUOTE]
If I believe that the Bible is historically accurate the only reason I wouldn't believe that the miracles also happened is if I didn't have reason to believe in God which I do :).

QUOTE="SigurdReginson, post: 7032499, member: 67726"] inaccuracies (such as the historical events and people related to Xerxes in Esther that we know didn't happen or weren't there) and yet the bible is supposed to be the innerant word of God?
[/QUOTE]

Sources please just been looking for the critique of Easter and have only found reason why scholars think it's him. Eg around that time he was acquiring women for his harem.

While the Bible is true Christian are more likely to say it is the inspired work of God. Aka god did not dictate every word that was written (u can tell that it was written by a multitude of people with different education levels etc.) So there are cases were certain things we assumed by the writers aka there is a firminant covering the earth. However in terms of historicity the Bible is very good and in terms of ancient historical literature. It tends to be that athiests have one standard for the rest of history and the Bible another.

QUOTE="SigurdReginson, post: 7032499, member: 67726"]why is that more convincing than other religions or scruptures?[/QUOTE]

I suppose I've been convinced by various theological argument that confirm a monotheistic person timeless spaceless creator. While I can claim to k ow everything about every belief system (who can?) With the information I have available I believe it is much more likely than the Christian God exists. And considering the lack of reason why God can't exist or doesn't exist I feel pretty confident. :)

tarasan

After all the arguments, have we figured
out who the favorite atheist is yet?
U have given the best argument so far. I mean it's mostly been "I don't like organised religion or no evidence.

Neither of which are grt.

Congress though....

You have shaken me to my core sir...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hey the concept of a god does not hinge on those texts. That's why I asked agruments for athiesm in a general sense

And i gave some, the most important being no evidence. Saying are you aware god could exists is not evidence

And for many religious, those books are all there is to teach about god

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And i gave some, the most important being no evidence. Saying are you aware god could exists is not evidence
Stop treating evidence as in the end Truth. It is not. It is a cognitive state of mind for which it is possible to have another without the belief in evidence and still have a life.

tarasan

That's not an argument though. I mean I could just as easily point to you and say there is no evidence for athiesm so I'm gonna blind assume my preferred worldview. It might be how u internally justify it to yourself and that's ok but it isn't an argument for.