• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Atheist arguments

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
1. there's no such thing as an "atheist method"

2. atheism doesn't require any "arguments", because atheism is not a claim

ism
See definition of ism *
* noun
a distinctive doctrine, theory, system, or practice:

Synonyms of ism | Thesaurus.com

Right friends, please?

Regards

PureX

Veteran Member
... atheism doesn't require any "arguments", because atheism is not a claim
Atheism is a proclaimed theological position (or it's irrelevant). And as such, it warrants justification. If it's not being proclaimed, no one will know, and it will warrant no justification. When you proclaim your atheism in the face of a theological discussion, it does then warrant justification. If you do not proclaim this position, then obviously no justification would be needed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Atheism is a proclaimed theological position (or it's irrelevant). And as such, it warrants justification. If it's not being proclaimed, no one will know, and it will warrant no justification. When you proclaim your atheism in the face of a theological discussion, it does then warrant justification. If you do not proclaim this position, then obviously no justification would be needed.

Still at this gobbledygook? It is such a shame that atheism does not agree with your personal definition of atheism

lukethethird

unknown member
A simple "I don't believe you" is all the justification necessary.

ChristineM

Premium Member
#203 ^.

Then kindly don't say "Athe-ism", just say "Athe", please. Right?

Regards

Then kindly don't tell me what to do
And still no atheism in your post 203,. In fact just about all the words you list are associated with theism, not atheism

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Then kindly don't tell me what to do
And still no atheism in your post 203,. In fact just about all the words you list are associated with theism, not atheism
There one is wrong, I understand. When one is in the right mood then we may discuss it, please?. Is it is shocking for one to know it, please?

Regards

ChristineM

Premium Member
There one is wrong, I understand. When one is in the right mood then we may discuss it, please?. Is it is shocking for one to know it, please?

Regards

I cannot discus atheism with you, tried before and got fed up of bang my head on the wall.

But FYI, atheism is a faith like not collecting stamps is a hobby

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does atheism proclaim? What is its position?

Atheism, per se, is a default, not a position. We're born atheist. Subsequent theological beliefs are enculturated. Theology is learned.
A blank slate proclaims nothing.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because I know that a unicorn is a horse like creature with a horn on its head any major deviation from that and it becomes something else. And yes I can because I don't think he is imaginary ;)
The comparison is abstract. The point being made is that invisible pink unicorns and God are ontologically equivalent.
Get it?
You need to read your old testament sir ;)
Maybe you should go back over it. Subduction Zone's description is well founded. The supporting passages are right there in black and white.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It just seems your referencing something else and calling it a unicorn I mean if the common train of thought is a horse with a horn is a unicorn and your saying no it isn't.
A unicorn is a mythical being with no evidentiary support.
A God is a mythical being with no evidentiary support.
Both exist only in the mind of the believer. Both are unevidenced.

See the analogy?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I remember loving arguments and apologetics when I was a teenager/young adult (32 now haven't been young for a while ;).)

So I was curious what do atheists think is there most convincing argument against God?

Very simple.

It takes a God to prove a God.

If it's just people doing all the talking and doing, then what good is any of that going to do if there is no actual God around to back it all up?

Source always goes back to people. Never anywhere else.

Thats why God is no more than a mental puppet.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I suppose I would be the same as u guys I don't feel there is very much acceptable evidence for athiesm and I find the arguments for a creator (and specifically a Christian creator) compelling
There's tons of evidence. No God is around.

Can't point to what isn't there.

The fact apologetics exists, indicates atheists are far ahead by default.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's because things that aren't real can have fairly specific descriptions.i mean you think my god is a load of bull right? But for the most part he has a very robust description of what he is. I mean we know dragons are not real but we know they are lizards that fly and breath fire and stand on four legs. And we know that while also being not real wyrns are flying lizards that stand on two legs and don't breath fire. (Your the one that made this a nerdy thing... I'm sorry)

In language words have specific meanings and to deviate from those meanings drastically means u are no longer talking about that thing
IRRELEVANT!
You're getting mired in immaterial details; you're analysing an analogy. Analogies clarify abstract relationships. Their point falls apart if analysed,
The equivalence isn't material, it's ontological.
Here's a helpful graph for you:

View attachment 47783
Note that this defines agnosticism as the belief that God's reality is unknowable, not that it's unknown.
Gnostic and agnostic atheism are usually called strong and weak atheism.
Mate if your claiming a belief your claiming knowledge that graph is to show that there can be a spectrum in that knowledge base not that they are both separate.
Basic/unqualified/definitive/weak/agnostic/implicit atheism is not a belief. It's not knowledge.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that's an age gap friend. Intially at the beginning there were three view thiesm (there is a god) athiesm (there is no god) and agnostiscm( I dont know/you can't know). The around fifty sixty years ago athiesm started to try and push that the lacked belief in a god and there was alot of debate and discussion over it. And it was still going on when I was a young teen early adult. And athiesm at the time had two camps. Positive athiesm help to the traditional view that it claimed there was no god, and negative athiesm that claimed to lack belief. I'm 32 I have a feeling there is an age gap?
What is Atheism? | American Atheists