• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fatah-Hamas Reconciliation

Bismillah

Submit
Fatah and Hamas sign reconciliation deal - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

"At the end, you could say that President Abbas has lost his patron in Egypt, which is President Mubarak, and Hamas is more on less facing almost similar trouble now, with Bashar Al-Assad [Syria's president] facing his own trouble in Damascus."

I thought that was a very interesting bit and certainly it seems suspicious that Omar Suleiman's goal for 9 years was accomplished a month after he lost power.

What do you think?

Netanyahu said:
Binyamin Netanyahu, Israel's prime minister, said on Wednesday that Abbas could not hope to forge a peace deal with Israel if he pursued a reconciliation accord with Hamas. "The Palestinian Authority must choose either peace with Israel or peace with Hamas. There is no possibility for peace with both," he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110427/wl_nm/us_palestinians_reconciliation_israel

Zahar said:
Mahmoud Zahar, a senior Hamas leader who participated in the reconciliation talks between Fatah and Hamas, said on Wednesday that the interim Palestinian government would not be able to work on peace negotiations with Israel.
"Our program does not include negotiations with Israel or recognizing it," Zahhar said in Cairo. "It will not be possible for the interim national government to participate or bet on or work on the peace process with Israel."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...ot-able-to-work-on-peace-with-israel-1.358535

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I love Hamas honesty and their straightforward positions. Let us see what will happen next. I'm betting on an Egyptian rule in the future, a real one, not like the fake Mubarak's era one.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Personally, as I said in another thread, I see this as little more than Abbas desperately trying to remain relevant with absolutely no cards to play. His realignment with Hamas simply proves this. He knows he has nothing else.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Personally, as I said in another thread, I see this as little more than Abbas desperately trying to remain relevant with absolutely no cards to play. His realignment with Hamas simply proves this. He knows he has nothing else.

He must be desperate,i doubt it will be a happy marriage though

Bismillah

Submit
It is quite heartwarming to hear that you support a terrorist organization. Peachy.
It's better than Israel's duplicity as the only "democracy" you would think on the planet.

I think that this reconciliation falls perfectly before Palestine's appeal to statehood and Abbas has announced that he is personally leading the negotiations, that means that Hamas is ready for serious dialogue under him.

This of course is very detrimental to all of Israel's hopes and policies in the region and as such they and their ubiquitous lobby have already started squeezing Congress to fall neatly in line with their earlier statements

The White House, which has been debating how best to revive peace talks ahead of an address to Congress next month by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, all but dismissed the proposed reconciliation by reiterating the longstanding American designation of Hamas as a terrorist organisation that has never expressed a willingness to recognise Israel, let alone negotiate with it.
"As we have said before, the United States supports Palestinian reconciliation on terms which promote the cause of peace," Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said in the administration's only public response. "Hamas, however, is a terrorist organisation which targets civilians."
He added that any Palestinian government had to accept certain principles announced by international negotiators known as the Quartet: the United Nations, the European Union, the United States and Russia. They include renouncing violence, abiding by past agreements with the Israelis and recognising Israel's right to exist. Hamas has never agreed to those conditions.

"It calls into question everything we have done," Representative Gary L. Ackerman, Democrat of New York, said in a telephone interview. He later issued a statement saying the United States would be compelled by "both law and decency" to cut off all aid.

"I don't think there is any will on the part of the administration or the Congress to provide funds to a government that is dominated by a dedicated terrorist organisation," he said.

Honest broker my foot, America has steadily revealed that is quite adamantly partisan and not at all interested in peace. Hell, vetoing a statement condemning illegal colonies in the W.B and stating that they will veto Palestine's request for statehood are icing on the cake in comparison to their explicit support for every single thing Israel does.

Abbas knows that he has no "honest broker" to design the treaty and as the original article quite astutely mentions, there are no longer as many Arab patrons as well to exploit Palestinian divisions. This is a witness of the Palestinian side becoming relevant once again due to external and internal pressures.

I'm interested to see just how far Israel will go to justify their attempts to thwart peace. I much rather prefer the EU's response to the measure, seems like the British might warrant an appeal to return as the "honest broker" of the past false as it was.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is quite heartwarming to hear that you support a terrorist organization. Peachy.

I respect Hamas dignity and what they are fighting for, but i disagree with alot of what they do sometimes. Call them whatever you want. To me they are freedom fighters. :beach:

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Yeah, i support Hamas dignity and what they are fighting for, but i disagree with alot of what they do sometimes. Call them whatever you want. To me they are freedom fighters. :beach:

Oh yeah because an organisation which has in its charter:

The time(16) will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: 0 Muslim! there is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him! This will not apply to the Gharqad(17), which is a Jewish tree (cited by Bukhari and Muslim)(18).

...is fighting for freedom. :rolleyes:

Hamas is a psychopathic organisation that is racist and by your labeling them "freedom fighters," I can come to no other conclusion than to say that you also harbour psychopathic tendencies. What other conclusion can I reach when you openly support bloodthirsty killers. And just so you cannot accuse me of double standards; I believe Prime Minister Netanyahu to be a terrorist supporter and terrorist enabler.

kai

ragamuffin
Thats the statehood thing in jeopardy , US aid to the PA in Jeopardy, More war then? probably , Israel wont talk to Hamas ,Hamas wont talk to Israel, How anyone can beleive Hamas is an ideal partner for peace is beyond me but then, only in the middle east can this be considered a good thing.

One more thing, Is this out of date? have they all changed their minds?

In Gaza, rise of Hamas military wing complicates reconciliation with Fatah:

The reconciliation talks are conducted by the Syria-based political leadership of the Hamas movement, however, not the Gaza government. Al Qassam leaders stress that they have sworn allegiance to the leadership and will obey its orders. They are confident, however, that those orders will not include reconciliation.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Midd...ry-wing-complicates-reconciliation-with-Fatah

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
Thats the statehood thing in jeopardy
Not a surprise, the U.S doesn't want Palestine to be recognized as a state.
US aid to the PA in Jeopardy,
Again, not a surprise.
More war then? probably , Israel wont talk to Hamas ,Hamas wont talk to Israel, How anyone can beleive Hamas is an ideal partner for peace is beyond me but then, only in the middle east can this be considered a good thing
What are you talking about? More war? Only if Israel is determined to go to war to prevent peace. Reconciliation is the first step to creating a stronger Palestinian negotiating side, has a history of deradicalizing elements, and it is STILL Abbas directly handling all negotiations with Israel. It directly states that the P.A is still in charge of all foreign affairs.

The only people who don't approve of this are those who want to keep Palestine divided and thus easy to turn against each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh yeah because an organisation which has in its charter:

The time(16) will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: 0 Muslim! there is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him! This will not apply to the Gharqad(17), which is a Jewish tree (cited by Bukhari and Muslim)(18).

...is fighting for freedom. :rolleyes:

Hamas is a psychopathic organisation that is racist and by your labeling them "freedom fighters," I can come to no other conclusion than to say that you also harbour psychopathic tendencies. What other conclusion can I reach when you openly support bloodthirsty killers. And just so you cannot accuse me of double standards; I believe Prime Minister Netanyahu to be a terrorist supporter and terrorist enabler.

Yeah, they are fighting for freedom. :yes: By the way, the one you mentioned about Jews is a known hadith and i guess you don't know its meaning. It's a prophecy.

kai

ragamuffin
Not a surprise, the U.S doesn't want Palestine to be recognized as a state.
Again, not a surprise.
What are you talking about? More war? Only if Israel is determined to go to war to prevent peace. Reconciliation is the first step to creating a stronger Palestinian negotiating side, has a history of deradicalizing elements, and it is STILL Abbas directly handling all negotiations with Israel. It directly states that the P.A is still in charge of all foreign affairs.

The only people who don't approve of this are those who want to keep Palestine divided and thus easy to turn against each other.

A lot of countries including the EU will think again if Hamas is a major player. More war? well lets just take Gaza as the CV for Hamas shall we. Yeah lets give them the job, well it is the middle east what other qualifications do you need.

kai

ragamuffin
Free Palestine. Come on, you know them more than me! ;)

I dont think Hamas and freedom are equated in my western mentality guided mind.

Lets forget the fight for one minute, and ask are Hamas a good example of an organisation that could lead to true freedom for the Palestinians in a social sense.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Yeah, they are fighting for freedom. :yes: By the way, the one you mentioned about Jews is a known hadith and i guess you don't know its meaning. It's a prophecy.

Because fighting in the name of religion has ever turned out well? Do you actually believe you are helping your case by quoting a religious passage about killing Jews? :sarcastic

Quoting religious passages in a organisation charter makes you more insane, not less.

RitalinO.D.

Call them whatever you want. To me they are freedom fighters. :beach:

Sorry pal but that is straight up support for terrorism. It doesn't matter if it comes from Hamas, Israel, or where ever. Supporting terrorism is supporting terrorism. Dispicable.

RitalinO.D.

The only thing keeping the US from backing a palestinian state is the possibility of Hamas being a part of the ruling Gov't. Hamas is a terrorist organization. Obviously no one in their right mind wants them in charge, especially when peace with Israel is the ultimate goal.

Sahar

Abbas is like the corrupt rulers that some of them were removed and some others are killing their people. The best thing he can do is betraying the Palestinian cause, submitting to Israel and the US.

Anyway, the features of the role of new Egypt started to appear and I am waiting for more.