1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Faith in science?

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Jaiket, Jan 11, 2021.

1. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    What is agreement in physical terms? What is the scientific physical theory of agreement?

2. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,860
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    . . . while they contemplate their naval and bark at the moon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,860
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Science is descriptive of the nature of our physical existence, and the terminology is used and evolves as to what is needed to consistently communicate between scientists.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science places a large role in standardizing scientific terminology as science evolves, and the needs of terminology change.

Metaphysical Naturalism.

#83 shunyadragon, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +21,372
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Yes, absolutely. Just like we choose the standard for what is considered to be 'charged' or 'green'. Once we make that choice, we have more ability to study those things classified in that way.

If it turns out that our initial classification is unhelpful, we can change definitions later. This is done quite often.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    The quote you gave up thread was philosophy. What Hard Problem? | Issue 99 | Philosophy Now
    You are contemplating your naval and barking at the moon. Just like we all do. We use philosophy to justify our world views. You have done so before and so have I. I just admit it. :D

6. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    That is philosophy. Keep contemplating your navel and barking at the moon. :D

7. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    So you speak for a "we" that is not there as for what is helpful to humans. How authoritarian of you.

8. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +21,372
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    The humans studying that phenomenon and wanting to understand it.

That's not authoritarian. It is accepting the conclusions of experts.

9. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    That it is helpful is your opinion. And you are not the expert of what is helpful to humans. That is not science nor mathematics or logic. That is at best social science.

10. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,058
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Not sure what you mean??

Give me an example

11. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,611
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    No, we should be open to them guiding us as to what some of these questions mean and indeed if they mean anything at all. I find Pigliucci quite refreshingly incisive on the "hard problem" for instance. It gives me faith - yes, that word again - that my own instinct to dismiss it as not a valid question - may be reasonable, or at any rate shared by some people with brains.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,860
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No, misuse of the nature of different ways 'Philosophy.' Is used.

Yes, there is a philosophy that is the foundation of Metaphysical Naturalism with the assumption of the uniformity of the nature of or physical existence, but, unlike the rest of the subjective philosophy, this assumption is objectively tested with continuously, repeatedly confirming the uniformity of our physical existence with the falsification of theories and hypothesis.

13. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,611
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Do try to keep up.:rolleyes:

14. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,219
    Religion:
    Something else
    I'm sorry to have appalled you. What aspects or areas of a basic science education would help in your opinion?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

What I'm asking is, is my belief that science will eventually solve this problem a kind of faith?

I'm trying to acknowledge that I, an atheist (and also an avid follower of science if you can believe it), may have a belief without evidence.

I don't expect science to tell me what it feels like to be conscious or what it is like to be bat. What would absolutely tickle my bones would be a theory that explains the connection between matter and experience.

Maybe the world is such that we can only point to certain patterns of neural firing and say, this process is experiential and that's just how it is. That would be unsatisfying but I'm fine with it if we now know that this is just the way the world is. It might imply some strange things about the world.

Neither do I. Scientists are just people.

Ok. We could just define consciousness as any kind of experience and we don't have to worry about what that means because there isn't one of us who doesn't know what it is to experience.

It might be the case that physical science can't answer these questions. Or alternatively that physical science is just fine but humans don't have the capacity to answer the question or understand the answer. Nobody expects chimps to understand any of our theories and this doesn't reflect poorly on the theories.

If the world isn't purely physical (which it might not be) I do hope that consciousness still is. It would be really disappointing if we found that we can't solve the riddle because the answer lies in a place that our only useful tools don't work.

15. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    What is the best methodology for being a human?

16. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,611
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I suppose one can say we have evidence of the explanatory power of the the scientific method, which proceeds on the basis of methodological naturalism, in making sense of the physical world. But it is clearly true that methodological naturalism is an axiomatic principle, employed before any evidence-gathering commences, and then justified retrospectively by the successes that science has had.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Religion:
    none
    Yes, but at least I have one while the rest is still bickering at which end to open an egg.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Is the world purely physical?
    No, because your understanding of this "no" has no physical properties. You can't hold or otherwise engage with it with your physical body. It has no physical scientific measurement standard and there is no scientific theory for it.

Further you can't see that the world is physical. That is a mental idea in your brain and only real, because you believe in it.

19. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +21,372
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    If I am studying a subject deeply, my opinion on what is helpful for understanding it *is* relevant because I am the expert.

Of course, experts can disagree. But when they do agree, it is usually a good idea to listen to what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Yeah, start studying how you can't avoid subjectivity and learn to admit that. Your world view is in part subjective just like the rest of us.