• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Extended Adolescence" or "Emerging Adulthood" - a positive or negative trend?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Things sure have changed in one generation.

In most western societies, kids hit puberty earlier than they did a generation ago, and yet the trend is that they are more dependent on their parents for longer than ever.

Back in the day, just one or two generations ago, kids graduated from high school, got married in their early twenties, and had most of their children before they were thirty. I remember distinctly when my mom got pregnant with my brother at age 32, she was considered a "aged" mom by the medical community (this was 38 years ago).

Back in the day, the student parking lot on campus (high school and college) was full of junkers, while the teacher's parking lot was filled with big station wagons. Now it's reversed - the student's parking lot is filled with shiny, late model vehicles and the teacher's lot is full of junkers. Seems a lot of these teachers are working so that they can pay their kids' car note off.

Back in the day, it was a common expectation of kids to graduate from high school, and simply MOVE OUT on their own, at their own expense - taking on the mantle of adulthood as simply a matter of course rather than a burden. Most kids I graduated with in 1980 fully expected to pay for some or even all of their college, while working nearly full time to also pay their own rent and other expenses.

We never would have even considered the possibility of "taking a sabbatical" between jobs in our late twenties or thirties - or moving home as an adult in order to find ourselves and clarify our direction.

Now, when parents have to choose between saving for retirement and saving for their kids' education, they save for the education. They often don't start saving seriously for retirement till AFTER they pay for 6 years of college for their 2.5 kids.

Many of the kids don't expect to have to work during school, they carry their parents' credit card, and drive a nicer car than their parents do. As a mom of teens and young adults, I am constantly amazed at the pattern of pandering to every adolescent desire that so many of my friends fall into. In addition to footing most or all of the bill for a four year degree (often earned in six years because of changes in majors, "time off" between semesters, less than full class schedule because "the load is really hard," etc.) many of these same parents allow their grown kids to move BACK home after graduation, where they flounder about in the comfort of their parents' home, paying for next to nothing (except their cell phone bill if the parents are lucky), lackadaisically "job searching," and often even moving their significant others into the house as well.

So many of these parents are stressed by this direction their lives are taking. They expected to be kid-free and living in a quieter, cleaner house - maybe traveling more with their spouse, redecorating the spare bedroom or making it an office or media room - in other words, moving into the next phase of their lives. Instead they are faced with a grown kid who for whatever reason is not moving into the next phase of THEIR life.

There's ten years' difference between my brother and me, and the difference in the age groups is striking. My age group tended to pay for most of their own education, marry younger, have kids in their 20s (usually at least 2 kids and often 3 or more), and, well, become adults in mind, body, and spirit pretty much straight out of high school, or at least by the time they were around 21.

When I became single in my early 40s, I dated a wide age range of men (woohooo, and had a blast while I was at it!). It didn't take me long to realize that generally speaking, there was a huge disconnect between me and men in their early 30s. I had GRANDCHILDREN - most of these guys didn't even have KIDS. By the time I was in my 30s, I had my career clicking right along, and I expected men in their 30s to at least have a good career underway. Instead, many of these guys had only graduated a few years earlier and were still wallowing around in rather entry level positions, still not sure of clearly defined career goals. A lot of them had never been married.

Guys in my age range had generally been married - often for a long time before getting divorced. They had kids, grandkids, full fledged careers - and I can't imagine all that happening within a ten year span for those thirty something party animal hotties that I dated - fun boy toys but definitely not keepers.

But this is just my perspective. Maybe I'm way off target, or maybe I'm not seeing the positives of "extended adolescence" or "emerging adulthood." I'd appreciate some feedback from others from a variety of perspectives.

Carry on!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
In most western societies, kids hit puberty earlier than they did a generation ago, and yet the trend is that they are more dependent on their parents for longer than ever.

YES Mam..Im like GET out what the HELL are you doing here???

Now, when parents have to choose between saving for retirement and saving for their kids' education, they save for the education. They often don't start saving seriously for retirement till AFTER they pay for 6 years of college for their 2.5 kids

Yes MAM thats even if they GO to college and dont "hunker down" sponging off mommy and daddy like INFANTS!!!\

So many of these parents are stressed by this direction their lives are taking. They expected to be kid-free and living in a quieter, cleaner house - maybe traveling more with their spouse, redecorating the spare bedroom or making it an office or media room - in other words, moving into the next phase of their lives. Instead they are faced with a grown kid who for whatever reason is not moving into the next phase of THEIR life.

Yes WHAT are you still DOING here?? GET out!!!Didnt you "threaten to "leave" once you were 17 when you were 15 ???LEAVE!I can DEFINATELY use your bedroom for something other than YOU sleeping in it till you are what? 30?

But this is just my perspective. Maybe I'm way off target, or maybe I'm not seeing the positives of "extended adolescence" or "emerging adulthood." I'd appreciate some feedback from others from a variety of perspectives.

YOu are NOT off target..I agree..If you want to have kids these days apparrently that means you support them..till they are at least 25..And in worse case scenerios basically till you die.

Something is NOT normal..!!!Im raising my grandchild while still raisign my own "children" one is fixing to turn 21..

So I have a 21 (almost in the house) a 14 year old..(he should be here) ..AND Im keeping a 2 and almost 1/2 year old grandbaby 3 to 4 days a week for my grown 27 year old..

I've been raising kids now for 27 years..And it wont be over apparently EVER>I guesse maybe once I break my hip or somethign and say "I've fallen and I cant get up" on that little recorder device I will be of no use anymore ..then I can live in a hospital and get some peace..

I am 42 years old and I dance to "Barney " or whatever..with a toddler..AND Im still "raising" my own kids..

Im TIRED!!

WAHH!!!

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Perhaps it only seems this way because I'm getting older, but kids these days do seem less responsible, more spoiled, less disciplined and more disrespectful than what kids were when I was that age.

Personally I blame people who shouldn't breed yet do and can't raise their damn kids right, and then their kids repeat the cycle.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Perhaps it only seems this way because I'm getting older, but kids these days do seem less responsible, more spoiled, less disciplined and more disrespectful than what kids were when I was that age.

Personally I blame people who shouldn't breed yet do and can't raise their damn kids right, and then their kids repeat the cycle.

I kind of agree..I blame myself..at the same time Im like GET OUT!! STOP eating my food and doing NOTHING! Im NOT your MAID and Im not your cook !!!GET a JOB>>

Im NOT going to be punished for 40 years or so I gave birth to a brat..GET out ..Go torture someone else..

If its too hard LIVE live in the STREET ..Im not paying for the rest of my life brat!

IM a person!This is MY house GET your own! I'll come "visit"..GET OUT!

I could blame my mother for the REST of my life!! GET OUT!!

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I know what it is..DAYCARE "cost too much" ..so the stupid "mother " that does it for free is SCREWED!!!

NEVER be a stay at home mom..That will help...

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

Well, this is really sort of a relief to read, because I thought maybe I was just being a *******.

I told my kids when they were in high school - "When you graduate, you'll have one summer on mom, and then you'll either be in school full time and working part time to pay for your own insurance, cell phone, whatever, or you will be moved out and on your own. I'll help you move out -I'll front the deposits and first month's rent, and I'll even buy you some dishes and give you some sheets and towels - heck, maybe even some furniture! But out you go. If God forbid, you absolutely cannot afford to move out, you will pay me rent, and you do your share of housework including cooking and grocery shopping, and you will abide by the house rules - which means in at a decent hour, no boyfriends or girlfriends sleeping over, no drugs, no smoking in the house."

Now four of the five are out on their own, paying their own way, and are all productive members of society. The oldest is 28 and the youngest is 17 (so of course he's still at home). Even he works and pays his own cell phone, buys most of his own clothes, and pays for most of his gas and recreation.

But some of their friends (and their friend's PARENTS) amaze me with what I consider to be extreme dysfunctionality.

Now - I don't see anything wrong with multiple generations sharing a home together. What I am not seeing though, is grown kids sharing the load of responsibility.

Something else I have noticed - when I was selling real estate a few years ago, I noticed a trend. Nearly without exception, people in their 40s and above shopped well BELOW their maximum loan approval, and had a chunk of equity to put down. Those in their 20s and 30s shopped at the very top of their loan approval bracket, and had NOTHING to put down. NOTHING. It was amazing. I can't tell you how many times I tried my best to talk them down from some beautiful home that was at the top of their price range. They would be looking at homes that their parents worked twenty years before they would buy - and they were newlyweds with their first jobs.

It was crazy.

Then one of them would lose their job, or get pregnant and have to take a leave of absence and suddenly - OH MY GOSH WE'RE IN A BIND. MOM, DAD, HELP! Help us pay the mortgage - no, we're going to lose our house - we have to move in with you, yes us AND the new baby, and we're going to have to declare banktrupcy because after we bought the house, we went out and bought $40,000 of new furniture and a new SUV when we found out we were pregnant, But, but...we NEEDED that stuff...why are you so put out with us? Why the attitude about us moving back home? That's what families are for, right? We gotta stick together. Hey, Mom, what are you cooking for dinner?

xkatz

As a "teen" myself, I kind of agree w/ the sentiments above. A lot of people I know of seem to be cocky, arrogant, and spoiled as hell. But then again, teens often seem this way to adults :p

I hope no one on RF views me this way though :eek:

Last edited:

Kathryn

As a "teen" myself, I kind of agree w/ the sentiments above. A lot of people I am friends w/ seem to be cocky, arrogant, and spoiled as hell. But then again, teens often seem this way to adults :p

Well, from what I've seen on this forum, you are definitely more mature and well-spoken than a lot of teens out there.

My youngest son is very polite and we were having a discussion the other day about the difference between being polite and being respectful - NOT the same thing at all! He told me about his two best friends (brothers) - both good kids from a stable, intact, upper middle class family. Good students, involved in lots of extra curricular stuff, and always polite and personable when they come over. I love both boys in fact. However, I've had to get on their *** several times about basically trashing our house. They leave a trail of destruction behind them - trash, dishes, shoes, socks, unmade beds - I don't care how polite they are, they are being disrespectful. He told me that these same kids will actually tell their parents "No, I'm not going to pick that up," or "No, I'm not going to mow the yard so get off me." WHAT THE HECK!

I blame both the parents and the kids for this sort of crap. If one of my kids told me that, I would make sure they regretted it. As they say, "I haf vays off makink you pay!"

xkatz

My youngest son is very polite and we were having a discussion the other day about the difference between being polite and being respectful - NOT the same thing at all! He told me about his two best friends (brothers) - both good kids from a stable, intact, upper middle class family. Good students, involved in lots of extra curricular stuff, and always polite and personable when they come over. I love both boys in fact. However, I've had to get on their *** several times about basically trashing our house. They leave a trail of destruction behind them - trash, dishes, shoes, socks, unmade beds - I don't care how polite they are, they are being disrespectful. He told me that these same kids will actually tell their parents "No, I'm not going to pick that up," or "No, I'm not going to mow the yard so get off me." WHAT THE HECK!

Kind of reminds me of two of my friends. One of them is well off, and has loving step-parents. However, he acts extremely spoiled and wants to only talk about himself, cars, and women. That's no fun :rolleyes: My other friend, lives "decently", but has serious health issues, has no father, and his mom is a total skank :)eek:). However, he is one of the kindest and trustworthy people I know. How teens behave and socialize seems to depend on one's circumstances and how one is raised.

Kathryn

Kind of reminds me of two of my friends. One of them is well off, and has loving step-parents. However, he acts extremely spoiled and wants to only talk about himself, cars, and women. That's no fun :rolleyes: My other friend, lives "decently", but has serious health issues, has no father, and his mom is a total skank :)eek:). However, he is one of the kindest and trustworthy people I know. How teens behave and socialize seems to depend on one's circumstances and how one is raised.

I agree.

Now -cut your parents a break and pick up your part of the load when you turn 18. You will be a better person for it! (and your parents will adore you even more!)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
With jobs hard to find, college getting more expensive, and certain things like computers and internet access becoming necessary for employment and paying bills, I think there is a need for some extra time to become financially independent nowadays.

That said, flat-screens, extra phone bills for texting, and cable are not necessary--though we are brought up to believe they are. (When we grow up with certain luxuries, it is hard to be weaned off of, which is why I'm glad I never got into the TV habit.)

There is, of course, a difference between mooching and contributing.

And, there may be other reasons teachers drive junkers. ;) Like, you know, having no money or time.

Kathryn

You're right - there absolutely IS a difference between mooching and contributing. There's nothing wrong with families helping each other out. My problem is with what seems to be an increase in long term mooching by grown kids who prefer the comforts provided by other people's hard work over the prospect of actually have to work hard to build their own nest (and future).

Like the old saying goes - it's better to teach someone to fish than to bring them a fish every day. They may not appreciate it at first, but they will in the long run. Or - even if they don't, at least you're not tied to hauling them a damn fish every day.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
You're right - there absolutely IS a difference between mooching and contributing. There's nothing wrong with families helping each other out. My problem is with what seems to be an increase in long term mooching by grown kids who prefer the comforts provided by other people's hard work over the prospect of actually have to work hard to build their own nest (and future).

Like the old saying goes - it's better to teach someone to fish than to bring them a fish every day. They may not appreciate it at first, but they will in the long run. Or - even if they don't, at least you're not tied to hauling them a damn fish every day.

Yes LONG term MOOCHING..Teach them to fish?..What do you do with an almost 21 year old that you taught to fish and he WONT! He keeps EATING our fish? That WE caught?

Im sick of it..

I know I sound "mean" but Im done.My heart is done...He can PAY or GET out..This "wandering " years of "extended adolescence" Is NOT going to be in my face anymore..

I was NOT a perfect child I messed up and made mistakes..But when I was 21 ?I was OUT of my mothers HOUSE..I didnt just sit up in a room driving there vehicles eatign THEIR food and go to work to earn money to buy myslef what I wanted.

Im sorry Im going to coin the phrase" parental ABUSE"

I do NOT see an end in SIGHT for at LEAST the next 10 years that I will NOT have to be instrumental in rasing children ..(or the children of my chidlren)

I have a friend..well hell her kids have plopped down 3 granchildren on her and ONE is on the way!!This woman is almost 50 years old..And has survived skin cancer..Now they (it helps) have plenty of money)..

Never mind..I'm really sick of it..apparerntly "flying the coup" is a thing of the past ..unless you kicked them HARD out of the nest..

Love

Dallas

Alceste

Vagabond
Chalk it up as an inevitable consequence of irresponsible public management and regulation of the housing market. In the UK, people stay with their parents well into their thirties, even when working full time, because they simply can not afford to rent or buy. IMO, the feeling that no matter how hard you try, the goal of independent living may be forever out of reach makes people careless with whatever they do earn and subconsciously resentful of their parents' generation for unfairly stacking the deck against them. Add to that the constant bombardment of advertising and propaganda and it's not so suprising that young people are finding it more and more difficult to navigate early adulthood.

Or maybe they're just lazy, ungrateful wretches. That's much simpler.

Last edited:

Kathryn

Hmmmm, all of my adult kids are out of the house and on their own. They are 28, 26, 24, and 22 years old. The most I did for them to financially get them going when they moved out was to help them with initial deposits on apts or utilities, and give them some used dishes or furniture.

Not a one of them has ever asked for or borrowed a penny from me since they were 18 years old. And without exception, they are paying their own way, raising their own families and are managing to do so without incurring mounds of debt.

And none of them are wealthy or married to anyone wealthy either.

They just know and accept that they are adults and must support themselves.

Of course if there was some sort of real emergency or tragedy in their lives, we would be there for them - but barring something catastrophic, they know they are responsible for themselves and their own well being.

And guess what - they're not mad or resentful about it either. In fact, as they've matured, they've each come to me and thanked me for forcing them to take responsibility for their own lives.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Or it could be that property in your area is still affordable. I was out of the house at 17 and haven't asked for help my whole adult life, but due to the skyrocketing cost of housing and lack of jobs to match in this area, now I'm living with family again at 35. Go figure.

Kathryn

Yes LONG term MOOCHING..Teach them to fish?..What do you do with an almost 21 year old that you taught to fish and he WONT! He keeps EATING our fish? That WE caught?

Im sick of it..

I know I sound "mean" but Im done.My heart is done...He can PAY or GET out..This "wandering " years of "extended adolescence" Is NOT going to be in my face anymore..

I was NOT a perfect child I messed up and made mistakes..But when I was 21 ?I was OUT of my mothers HOUSE..I didnt just sit up in a room driving there vehicles eatign THEIR food and go to work to earn money to buy myslef what I wanted.

Im sorry Im going to coin the phrase" parental ABUSE"

I do NOT see an end in SIGHT for at LEAST the next 10 years that I will NOT have to be instrumental in rasing children ..(or the children of my chidlren)

I have a friend..well hell her kids have plopped down 3 granchildren on her and ONE is on the way!!This woman is almost 50 years old..And has survived skin cancer..Now they (it helps) have plenty of money)..

Never mind..I'm really sick of it..apparerntly "flying the coup" is a thing of the past ..unless you kicked them HARD out of the nest..

Love

Dallas

Give this boy a two month exit plan and then ENFORCE IT.

I did that with my 22 year old (a year or so ago) and when he didn't comply, my husband and I loaded him up and dropped him off at the Salvation Army. It's amazing how quickly he became self sufficient - he was out of there and in his own apartment in just a couple of weeks.

A little background -he had a nasty little habit of smoking weed and failing drug tests, which meant that he wasn't able to hold a decent job. We gave him an opportunity to get his **** together at our house, but over a period of a few weeks, it became obvious that he was getting way too comfortable at home, and his zeal to be self sufficient was evaporating. We gave him options and ground rules and he didn't comply. So - guess what - you don't live here anymore. What -no place to go? The Salvation Army always has a warm, clean bed - and more rules than your mama could EVER come up with!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Chalk it up as an inevitable consequence of irresponsible public management and regulation of the housing market. In the UK, people stay with their parents well into their thirties, even when working full time, because they simply can not afford to rent or buy. IMO, the feeling that no matter how hard you try, the goal of independent living may be forever out of reach makes people careless with whatever they do earn and subconsciously resentful of their parents' generation for unfairly stacking the deck against them. Add to that the constant bombardment of advertising and propaganda and it's not so suprising that young people are finding it more and more difficult to navigate early adulthood.

And as our population soars, jobs will be harder to find and owning one's own property will be impossible.

I'm currently residing with folks temporarily. But, I have been working the whole time, contributing, and in the past we've borrowed from each other.

I used this time to secure a better paying job through good ol' fashioned hard work and patience. It just took a bit in the current economy. So hopefully soon I'll be able to rent again.

But I see where this is really becoming common. We exist in a world with finite resources and space, and are developing as if it were infinite.

EDIT: I wonder if community ethics will become much more common in America due to this. We tend to be much more independently-minded despite traditionally being part of close-knit family communities.

Alceste

Vagabond
And as our population soars, jobs will be harder to find and owning one's own property will be impossible.

I'm currently residing with folks temporarily. But, I have been working the whole time, contributing, and in the past we've borrowed from each other.

I used this time to secure a better paying job through good ol' fashioned hard work and patience. It just took a bit in the current economy. So hopefully soon I'll be able to rent again.

But I see where this is really becoming common. We exist in a world with finite resources and space, and are developing as if it were infinite.

EDIT: I wonder if community ethics will become much more common in America due to this. We tend to be much more independently-minded despite traditionally being part of close-knit family communities.

In parts of Canada, this kind of thing is becoming more and more of a trend. In Vancouver, you can hardly even get a crappy dilapidated bungalow for under a million bucks. So young people have had to either move in with their parents of move out - WAY out - to the suburbs and surrounding communities. Trouble is, once you get out that far you don't have access to the moderately paid Vancouver job market any more. In the UK it was normal just to never ever move out of your parents house. I was very surprised by this at first. We both had full time, skilled government jobs, quite well paid for our area, and we could BARELY afford a tiny one bedroom apartment (and I mean tiny - we'd bump ours heads on the ceiling regularly and the bathroom was IN the bedroom - no walls between). Most of our co-workers lived with their parents. Only managers or older people who entered the property market decades ago lived in their own homes. One of my colleagues about my age had two degrees, earned three or four pay grades higher than we did due to her seniority and qualifications, and found a pretty good deal on rent but even she has recently moved back in with her folks. It's nice to have lofty ideals about what life changes should occur at which age in life but it all boils down to boring old economics and psychology in the end.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It's nice to have lofty ideals about what life changes should occur at which age in life but it all boils down to boring old economics and psychology in the end.

Right. I think that eventually the individualism of the US is going to have to come to grips with living in closer quarters with each other. Or, start to control the population better.

Or start colonizing space.