• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolutionist = Naturalist and can't discredit GOD!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I was having a conversation with some people and we got on the topic of geopgrahic landscapes of Christians making up the larger sum with Islam following and Atheist being the third. However, we got on the topic of evolution and it was mentioned that evolutionist are naturalists so they can't be considered atheist. So my question is, how can you be an evolutionist or someone that follows evolution and be considered a naturalist and be a atheist?

I'm not really here to debate this, I would just like to know how someone can be a naturalist, yet be an atheist.

I would like to hear from everyone on how they view this. If someone is a naturalists that follows evolution, how is it possible or not possible for one to discredit god, seeing how they give credit to evolution?

Maybe you could start by explaining what an evolutionist is. Is that anything like a gravitationalist?

I'm sorry, I can't see why someone who denies the supernatural--assuming that's what you mean by "naturalist," cannot be an atheist. Please explain.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
That is essentially my question. How can someone be an atheist, yet follow evolution and not adhere to modern science or naturalism. Is that not science? What is the deciding factor of determining whether someone is an atheist when it comes to science and religion without relying on religion for credibility or that of science?
Can someone translate this for me? thanks.

Tathagata

Freethinker
So basically there is no way for an evolutionist to be an atheist.

There's no reason why an evolutionist cannot be an Atheist. In fact, most evolutionists are Atheists. There's nothing in the theory of evolution that necessitates the existence of God nor does it require belief in God. The theory of evolution is quite irrelevant to the issue of God. However, evolution is quite compatible with Atheism.

If so, explain how it is possible without the need for a purpose or explanation as to why or how.

I just explained it. See above.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I summed it up in a previous post.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2432772-post7.html

This is all based on a brief conversation I had. So basically there is no way for an evolutionist to be an atheist. If so, explain how it is possible without the need for a purpose or explanation as to why or how.

Of course it is possible for an evolutionist to be an atheist, although I'm not sure whether most evolutionists would be theists or atheists.

Science (including evolution) does not need to deal into the metaphysics of why. It does however have a lot of that on the how of evolution, as any biology undergrad student will tell you.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This all too Twilight Zone for me.

surrendering-emoticon-animated-white-waving-flag.gif

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
This is all based on a brief conversation I had. So basically there is no way for an evolutionist to be an atheist. If so, explain how it is possible without the need for a purpose or explanation as to why or how.

Because evolution is an entirely natural process that does not require a God of any kind. I fail to see how accepting evolution contradicts the absence of belief in a God.

I, like many people in this this thread, fail to see what you're driving at.

gnostic

The Lost One
Evolution, like other science, deal with observable, testable natural process or mechanism of changes, on genetic or cellular scale, due to changing environments. It is relevant in biology.

Like other science, like mathematics, physics, chemistry and non-evolutionary biology, evolution don't include God in its teaching, because it is irrelevant.

So why should evolution need to discredit God?

When I was studying physics and maths, God and religion never came up, because it isn't relevant. I certainly wouldn't learn a damn thing in either subject if my old teachers had decided to include God in my notes. What equations would God solve for me? Not a damn thing.

Perhaps, had I answer "Ask God" in my exam papers, I would probably have failed exam.

If I am learning biology, would the bible, qur'an or other scriptures help in any way? Could it give me the answer? Would one of Jesus' parable be of any use to me? Is it believable that man was created from soil or clay?

If I was learning to become a doctor, could reading the gospels in any way teach me how to diagnose or treat illness or disease?

I think not. So what is the use of God or theology in science?

Gloone

There's no reason why an evolutionist cannot be an Atheist. In fact, most evolutionists are Atheists. There's nothing in the theory of evolution that necessitates the existence of God nor does it require belief in God. The theory of evolution is quite irrelevant to the issue of God. However, evolution is quite compatible with Atheism.

I just explained it. See above.

Alright well that might have been the part I was having trouble understanding. "There is no reason why an evolutionist cannot be an Atheist", However, being an evolutionist does not make you an atheist, it would make you a naturalist. And like others have mentioned the same can be said with Theism. lol - :D I can tell the conversation I had last night was not a sober one.

-----
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I summed it up in a previous post.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2432772-post7.html

What is an "evolutionist," and why can one cannot be an atheist?

AT first blush, I cannot see why accepting modern Biological concepts requires a belief in God. Can you explain it in some way that makes sense?

Gloone

What is an "evolutionist," and why can one cannot be an atheist?
Someone that believes in or supports the theory of evolution. That is what an evolutionist is.
AT first blush, I cannot see why accepting modern Biological concepts requires a belief in God. Can you explain it in some way that makes sense?
It doesn’t require a belief nor does it require a lack of belief. That is basically why evolutionist are not considered Atheist, but naturalist. Atheist and evolution is like someone trying to hijack a religion. Only it is with science.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Someone that believes in or supports the theory of evolution. That is what an evolutionist is.
Oh, I see, you mean a reasonable person, one who accepts modern science. O.K.

It doesn’t require a belief nor does it require a lack of belief.
Correct. So an "evolutionist" could be either atheist or not. Therefore an atheist can be an "evolutonist."
That is basically why evolutionist are not considered Atheist, but naturalist. Atheist and evolution is like someone trying to hijack a religion. Only it is with science.
You mean if someone says that "evolutionists" must be atheists, they're wrong. That's correct, but atheists don't say that; creationists do. I suggest you take it up with them.

PhAA

Grand Master
It doesn’t require a belief nor does it require a lack of belief. That is basically why evolutionist are not considered Atheist, but naturalist. Atheist and evolution is like someone trying to hijack a religion. Only it is with science.
Naturalism is more of a philosophy rather than a religion. In science, some say that there is order, others say that it's just luck/chance.

atanu

Premium Member
Because evolution is an entirely natural process that does not require a God of any kind.

I will like to know how nature keeps track of changes that it has already brought in and how it decides upon the future course? Is there no information mechanism at all?

Are nature and 'we' isolated?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Alright well that might have been the part I was having trouble understanding. "There is no reason why an evolutionist cannot be an Atheist", However, being an evolutionist does not make you an atheist, it would make you a naturalist.

Actually, it makes you neither.

I will like to know how nature keeps track of changes that it has already brought in and how it decides upon the future course? Is there no information mechanism at all?
The genome.

Are nature and 'we' isolated?
From what? If you mean from eachother, then no. "We" are a part of nature.

Last edited:

Gloone

Naturalism is more of a philosophy rather than a religion. In science, some say that there is order, others say that it's just luck/chance.
Well I know that much. :) I know what religion is, atheism is, theism is, and so. To say there is just chance or luck means there is no real basis for anything or whatever is being studied. That is not science and isn't naturalism and is kind of like relying on the supernatural for an explanation to something that can't be fully explained.