• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

evolution question

AtheistAJ

You Christians and Jews (and some others) believe god created two people first, Adam and from his rib Eve. Well if god only created two of them how come we have so many different races now? Did he create them all later for some reason? Why is it that some of you find evolution so hard to believe in when we all came from one-celled organisms before our own eyes (seamen)?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Easy! The other races came from Lillith. :flirt:

(Did you want this in the discussion section? Perhaps it might be better suited to the 'Science/ Religion' area. Would you like me to move it for you?)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
AtheistAJ said:
You Christians and Jews (and some others) believe god created two people first, Adam and from his rib Eve. Well if god only created two of them how come we have so many different races now? Did he create them all later for some reason? Why is it that some of you find evolution so hard to believe in when we all came from one-celled organisms before our own eyes (seamen)?
well, i as a christian personally believe that there were human beings on earth before adam and eve(created through the process of evolution) - and out of those human beings, Adam and Eve were the first to have a relationship with God, and then when they fell from grace, they still went and preached about God despite the fact that they had dishonored them

a literal view of the story would not (in my oppinion) be correct, as we would see adam and eve and two sons, one kills the other, and then what ever happens next, you have an awful lot of incest ;)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FeathersinHair said:
Easy! The other races came from Lillith. :flirt:

(Did you want this in the discussion section? Perhaps it might be better suited to the 'Science/ Religion' area. Would you like me to move it for you?)
lillith, didn't she have 100 kids (or around about that)

AtheistAJ

FeathersinHair said:
Do that, I didn't know there was such section.

@ Corrupt Priest, I guess that makes more sense, but the Bible says god used a rib from Adam to make company for him because he was lonely as only human. Your theory doesn't add up if you're trying to support each of those views.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm.. the Native American Nations have depending on the Nation from two to hundreds of people being made "in the begining". One Nation eaven has the other races explained as other attempts that somehow came out "not quite right". :D

not everyone needs to believe in the literalness of thier mythology to believe in the message/lesson behind it.

ps.. lilliths kids were all demons wern't they? Not people. (naturally this is the Biblical Lillith rather than the Mesopotamian fertility goddess, of conviently the same name) :cool:

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
corrupt_priest said:
well, i as a christian personally believe that there were human beings on earth before adam and eve(created through the process of evolution) - and out of those human beings, Adam and Eve were the first to have a relationship with God, and then when they fell from grace, they still went and preached about God despite the fact that they had dishonored them

a literal view of the story would not (in my oppinion) be correct, as we would see adam and eve and two sons, one kills the other, and then what ever happens next, you have an awful lot of incest ;)
That makes sense.;)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I put the adam and eve story only one step removed from Cabbage patch babies.
It is in the bible sure, but it is only a story tellers attempt to explain Gods part in our creation, not a scientific process.

Terry_____________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Yerda

Veteran Member
AtheistAJ said:
Well if god only created two of them how come we have so many different races now?
Quick lesson in 'believers'; those who are convinced rarely need any explanation beyond 'god did it'. The rest who have belief of varying degrees rarely have a problem interpreting the Genesis story as metaphor.

AtheistAJ said:
Why is it that some of you find evolution so hard to believe in when we all came from one-celled organisms before our own eyes (seamen)?
Quick lesson in biology; the cells you speak of are the spermatozoa, not semen, semen is the entire content of the ejaculate. Seamen are a different thing altogether, however, quite multi-cellular and are often referred to as sailors. :p

Mike182

Flaming Queer
AtheistAJ said:
@ Corrupt Priest, I guess that makes more sense, but the Bible says god used a rib from Adam to make company for him because he was lonely as only human. Your theory doesn't add up if you're trying to support each of those views.
well, if we take the adam and eve story literally, then you are right, my two sentiments do not add up to my conclusion, however, i do not take the story to be a literal truth ;)

ps: jaiket, thankyou for your close observation of detail ..... niiiiice

The Black Whirlwind

heres my theory: first, there was the whiteman, then, the son of Apollo, while riding the sun chariot, crashed into earth, which schorced the Africans, and made them black, for they were white before. then, the aftershocks of this blinding feat made other people tan, but the white man and the asians were so far away, that the white man was unscathed, but the Asian man was blinded, so that is why they have different eyes. this was after the heathen gods took over earth, of course.

CJ316

no one has been able to figure out exactly what happened at the beginning. my opinion is that we could have evolved from one cell and still be created by god.

they haven't been able to find the evidence of evolution from that far back yet to fill in the gaps. so far it looks like a lot of species started at the same time.

i think cp has a good theory on the adam and eve thing. but it would not supprise me if the bible turns out to be a lot more literal than we might think.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
so far it looks like a lot of species started at the same time.
eh? I'm not sure what your refering to here?

Many modern species trace thier appearances into the Pleistocene (1.8 million to 10,000 years ago) some to the Holocene (10,000 years to today)... but the average life span of a species in only a million to three million years before they go extinct and are replaced by another species.

Different groups of animals all have seperate beginning times... 'birds' from the Jurassic, crocodylians from the Triassic, Sharks from the Devonian allong with the first amphibians and the first ferns and horsetails and so on and so forth.

How far back are you talking? There is good evidence (eaven if there arn't fossils) to show how the Prokerotic bacteria and the Eucariotic bacteria evolved... and then there are the Ecardian fauna...also and perhaps more properly called the Vendian biota.
These creatures many not much more then collections of single celled organisms, most are so primitive they are 'alien' to us.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vendian/critters.html
The Vendian period is enormously old... going from 650-543 Million years ago. Long before the "Cambrian explosion" (543-490 million years ago)

the oldest of the Bacteria come from fossils dated to 3.5 million years ago... Mostly of cyanobacteria or "blue-green alge". They are the easiest to find as they left behind stromatolites... layers of them built up by millions of short lived generations.

the oldest of the old, and one of the wierdest, the group known as the Archaea have been found in rocks as far back as 3.8 billion years old. Today they thrive in environments no other life forms could stand... gysers, volcanic vents and other extreme environments. But 3.8 billion years ago this would have been the average place on Earth, full of super-hot waters and toxic chemicals (to us anyway).

wa:do

Fatmop

well, if we take the adam and eve story literally, then you are right, my two sentiments do not add up to my conclusion, however, i do not take the story to be a literal truth
It seems like you could move from not taking some of the Bible as literal truth to just throwing it out altogether... why not?

Fatmop

they haven't been able to find the evidence of evolution from that far back yet to fill in the gaps. so far it looks like a lot of species started at the same time.
I wouldn't say 'a lot of species started at the same time.' Not unless you're really steeped in paleontology and/or are using a geologist's definition of 'time.' Lots of anti-evolutionists like to claim that the Cambrian Explosion is somehow a 'problem' for evolutionary theory; actual scientists disagree completely.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AtheistAJ said:
You Christians and Jews (and some others) believe god created two people first, Adam and from his rib Eve. Well if god only created two of them how come we have so many different races now?
<yawn> :( oy vey :( </yawn>

Ceridwen018

heres my theory: first, there was the whiteman, then, the son of Apollo, while riding the sun chariot, crashed into earth, which schorced the Africans, and made them black, for they were white before. then, the aftershocks of this blinding feat made other people tan, but the white man and the asians were so far away, that the white man was unscathed, but the Asian man was blinded, so that is why they have different eyes. this was after the heathen gods took over earth, of course.
...Woah, dude.