• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution My ToE

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hi Dan,

Good to see you back. Sounds like you have had some good and enjoyable reasons to be absent. I recall you mentioning your interest in birding, if I am not mistaken.

Yes I'm a tragic bird nerd, at least it gets me out of the house also get some exercise and meet some new people. Been helping out with research on migratory species, unfortunately the news isn't good, with all the coastal development in Asia most of them seem doomed.

He means that anything that is not in the Bible and interpreted literally is not the truth. He communicates this through means nowhere mentioned in the Bible of course. A literal interpretation is arbitrarily and capricious applied.

Mindless evolution is just a means to denigrate science that does not fit with that literal interpretation. Denigrate seems to be the key strategy to support infallibility, since no evidence does. It is just a secondary imposition applied by people that is not required for belief except by those that are compelled to impose it on themselves.

I thought so but was hoping it might be something different... oh well

ecco

Veteran Member
what is your application of the scriptures you quoted?
My application of silly myths? Personally they have less impact on me than stories of Zeus.

However, many people who profess to believe in scripture also want to eat bacon and lobster. I just remind them of their hypocrisy.

ecco

Veteran Member
I'm not confused. The Bible clearly states:
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)
Yet, for some reason you have been unable to explain, you believe some of the old laws do not pertain to you. It's very clear that what you do is pick and choose which parts of your holy scripture apply and which don't. Pick and choose. How silly.

If the son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed. Really.

The point is that He didn't free you from the old laws. Rather, He re-asserted His command that the old laws must be adhered to - (Matthew 5:17)

You choose to ignore the old laws.
You choose to disobey God the Father.
You choose to disobey the admonishments of Jesus.

No one ever kept the law (but Jesus) or was saved by the law. The law brings death because no one can keep it.

Now you're just making stuff up to try to cover your assx. You cannot even fool me - do you think you are fooling God/Jesus? Silly.

Scripture and prophesy are true.

Yet, you choose to ignore scripture. You befoul your body with forbidden foods, just like Adam befouled his mind when he partook of the forbidden fruit.

God had dietary rules for ancient Israel, they do not apply to me today.

You say that, but you cannot support your selfish hypocrisy with Scripture.

If God told them how to treat their workers and poor and slaves fairly that does not mean He supports slavery.

If instead of telling His people how to treat slaves, He had told people about the evils of owning slaves, there would not have been any slave owners is the old very religious Christian South.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Hi Dan,

Yes I'm a tragic bird nerd, at least it gets me out of the house also get some exercise and meet some new people. Been helping out with research on migratory species, unfortunately the news isn't good, with all the coastal development in Asia most of them seem doomed.

I thought so but was hoping it might be something different... oh well
So help me out here. Evolution thinks? It has a mind??

YoursTrue

The point is that He didn't free you from the old laws. Rather, He re-asserted His command that the old laws must be adhered to - (Matthew 5:17)

Now you're just making stuff up to try to cover your assx. You cannot even fool me - do you think you are fooling God/Jesus? Silly.

Yet, you choose to ignore scripture. You befoul your body with forbidden foods, just like Adam befouled his mind when he partook of the forbidden fruit.

If instead of telling His people how to treat slaves, He had told people about the evils of owning slaves, there would not have been any slave owners is the old very religious Christian South.
Actually there are many slaves in various parts of the world today. African tribal and middle Eastern populations have slaves. And others have caste systems, making the lowest caste like slaves. The idea some had about the darker skinned people being cursed was disproved, although Hitler and others used eugenics and the theory of evolution as if white is better. And don't forget the recent situation in the news about white supremacy. Don't forget how in many parts of the world children are sent to work in factories away from families and women and children are treated like chattel and worse. In Japan there were female prostitutes enslaved to serve the Japanese warrior men during WW2. Many women are beaten and raped today in socalled civilized countries. Surely you know that.

YoursTrue

How about people like you telling people about the evils of choking out financial solvency and situations because of rampant greed among the upper classes of any society? Coal miners, for instance, risk early death because of lack of decent medical treatment in their areas. And many Indians were burned to death in a factory recently. Can you and-or evolution stop these injustices?

YoursTrue

I haven't posted much for ages, been busy with bird research, bird photography and renovations so there hasn't been much posting from me to see.

I haven't found any God yet that seems credible to me. I do have a soft spot for the tribal beliefs of Australian Aboriginals and the San Bushmen of Africa but I don't know a lot about it. I've been trying to learn about Baiame the creator God of the Worimi people who are the traditional owners of the area of Australia I live in but unfortunately most of the knowledge was bastardised by the early Christian missionaries.

I have no idea what mindless evolution is. If you mean the theory of evolution then yes I think that the evidence is very strong and in all likelihood life evolved from a common ancestor into what we see today. How life first started I have no idea.
Mindless evolution is that which comes about on its own in every form. In other words, with no superior force of intelligent life that enables life in other matter. Please do not think that I denigrate science. I do not. However, when science draws conclusions about how life transpired from a unicell to all sorts of very complex systems as if no superior force (with intelligence) enabled the process, I do not share that type of speculation.

You say you have a soft spot for the tribal beliefs of Australian Aboriginals and the San Bushmen of Africa, but what about their beliefs makes you have that soft spot?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Mindless evolution is that which comes about on its own in every form. In other words, with no superior force of intelligent life that enables life in other matter. Please do not think that I denigrate science. I do not. However, when science draws conclusions about how life transpired from a unicell to all sorts of very complex systems as if no superior force (with intelligence) enabled the process, I do not share that type of speculation.

It's a pointless adjective at best. Do you also say mindless astronomy or mindless meteorology? You're free to believe whatever speculation you want. As I'm free to agree with the evidence I have seen for ToE.

You say you have a soft spot for the tribal beliefs of Australian Aboriginals and the San Bushmen of Africa, but what about their beliefs makes you have that soft spot?

Their respect for nature.

YoursTrue

No idea how to answer a question like that....
Let me rephrase. I used the term 'mindless evolution' because it's not that a gorilla thinks about things and figures he'd like to become something else. And, of course, evolution has it that organisms, even those like dinosaurs, cats, birds, lions, changed into something else, I think, eventually. But that change really was not by their own design or will. Therefore -- it's mindless. As far as the theory goes.

YoursTrue

It's a pointless adjective at best. Do you also say mindless astronomy or mindless meteorology? You're free to believe whatever speculation you want. As I'm free to agree with the evidence I have seen for ToE.

Their respect for nature.
What do you know about their religious beliefs besides their respect for nature? Do they have books explaining their religion?
(Do you think the God of the Bible does not respect what He made?) Also, evolution is not like astronomy. Meteorology has changing circumstances and certainly can be exciting for some, but it's not like the theory of evolution, one life form changing into another bit by bit, or molecule by molecule.

YoursTrue

Gorillas do not have a mind to become (evolve into) something else.

YoursTrue

I'll have to google Nebuchadnezzar, don't have time just at the moment, heading off to visit my daughter shortly.

Sure I believe some of the bible. Don't kill, don't steal, treat others the way you wish to be treated... there's a lot of sound advice in there. Also a lot of hate in it which I don't believe.
By the way, do you believe that if you are called to war by your country, you should possibly kill those that are said to be your enemy?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Let me rephrase. I used the term 'mindless evolution' because it's not that a gorilla thinks about things and figures he'd like to become something else. And, of course, evolution has it that organisms, even those like dinosaurs, cats, birds, lions, changed into something else, I think, eventually. But that change really was not by their own design or will. Therefore -- it's mindless. As far as the theory goes.

So is anything without a mind, I have no idea of your point. Do you add mindless to everything that doesn't have a mind? I'm typing on a mindless computer at the moment...

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
By the way, do you believe that if you are called to war by your country, you should possibly kill those that are said to be your enemy?

An interesting question that I don't know the answer to and fortunately a moral conundrum I have never had to face.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
What do you know about their religious beliefs besides their respect for nature?

Not a lot and I believe I admitted that when I first mentioned it.

Do they have books explaining their religion?

There are some for Australian Aboriginals. Only ever read a small section of one book that was about San beliefs but I haven't really looked into it so there could be more.

(Do you think the God of the Bible does not respect what He made?)

I don't think the God of the bible exists so can't answer that. If I'm wrong and he does exist then it would appear he doesn't give two hoots.

Also, evolution is not like astronomy. Meteorology has changing circumstances and certainly can be exciting for some, but it's not like the theory of evolution, one life form changing into another bit by bit, or molecule by molecule.

So they're not mindless in your opinion?

YoursTrue

I haven't posted much for ages, been busy with bird research, bird photography and renovations so there hasn't been much posting from me to see.

I haven't found any God yet that seems credible to me. I do have a soft spot for the tribal beliefs of Australian Aboriginals and the San Bushmen of Africa but I don't know a lot about it. I've been trying to learn about Baiame the creator God of the Worimi people who are the traditional owners of the area of Australia I live in but unfortunately most of the knowledge was bastardised by the early Christian missionaries.

I have no idea what mindless evolution is. If you mean the theory of evolution then yes I think that the evidence is very strong and in all likelihood life evolved from a common ancestor into what we see today. How life first started I have no idea.
Just to let you know, I buy bird calendars every year -- they are so beautiful, the birds, and add joy to our lives just to see how beautiful they are.

YoursTrue

Not a lot and I believe I admitted that when I first mentioned it.

There are some for Australian Aboriginals. Only ever read a small section of one book that was about San beliefs but I haven't really looked into it so there could be more.

I don't think the God of the bible exists so can't answer that. If I'm wrong and he does exist then it would appear he doesn't give two hoots.

So they're not mindless in your opinion?
So allow me to understand. You like the religion of the Australian Aboriginals but don't really know they beliefs or customs except that they respect nature. Is that right? As far as caring, why do you think God does not care? I'm thinking when I said "mindless evolution," I certainly wasn't saying gorillas are mindless. Did you think I was?