• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence For And Against Evolution

Bear Wild

Perhaps you could present some evidence of God(s) manipulating genetics.

You see gods work in a hospital as god manipulates the genes for a cancer to grow. How else can you explain cancer in humans but that god did it. Then you use the twisted logic of the snake handlers of South Carolina who pass around poisonous snakes in church (yes the are real or at least were real in the 1980's when helped rescue some animals from them). If you got bit you are a sinner. Simple twisted logic.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's kinda like what Newton said: the thumb itself proves it didn't just "come about." (Yes, I paraphrase, can't remember his exact words but they make sense to me!) So now that I am older, I do not believe in evolution as the reason for life of earth. And yes, I include abiogenesis along with that. The more I think about it, the more cogent the Bible becomes. The more sense it makes.
All you are doing is claiming that the thumb didn't arise due to natural processes or at least paraphrasing someone that might have said that. You are just repeating a claim as if that alone substantiates the claim without demonstration.

Evolution is not the reason for life on Earth. That would be either abiogenesis by natural mechanisms or divine creation. There is no reason to link the two. Evolution would occur no matter the origin of life.

Can you explain how the relevant parts of the Bible make sense in light of the evidence?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's similar to the evidence unproduced of nature manipulating genes to produce a different species. But God's word is more powerful than man's words.
The evidence of nature changing genes is widely and well documented and supported with evidence. Radiation and many chemicals are well known mutagens. Even increased pressure has been used to cause mutations. I myself have caused mutations in onion root tip cells and snails using various mutagenic compounds.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Nothing I read now about evolution means it happened without a designer. And here I did very well on my exams in reciting what I was told. Meanwhile getting back to the unique qualities of bees, snakes, and ants, they are unique and fabulous in their respective roles.

Every single species is unique / has unique traits. It's in fact what makes them a different species.
If there were no differences between ants and wasps, then they wouldn't be separate species, now would they?

Also, pretty much all species are "fabulous in their respective roles". For the simple reason that evolution inevitably makes them so. It's what evolution does: optimize things for their respective roles.

Those that aren't "fabulous" performers in their niche - die.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You mean your point that DNA just came about after a long period of non-intelligent forced programming?
No.

My point that we can trace your family lineage back through time via DNA analysis to show degrees of relatedness between you and your ancestors, and how scientists pretty much do the same thing to trace the lineage and degrees of relatedness shared by all creatures on earth.

I have stated this point to you at least half a dozen times by now. It would be great if you could address it because it speaks directly to the point of discussion regarding evolution and DNA.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's kinda like what Newton said: the thumb itself proves it didn't just "come about." (Yes, I paraphrase, can't remember his exact words but they make sense to me!) So now that I am older, I do not believe in evolution as the reason for life of earth. And yes, I include abiogenesis along with that. The more I think about it, the more cogent the Bible becomes. The more sense it makes.
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. The thumb itself proves it didn't just "come about?" How so?

I'm also not sure how this addresses what I said.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No.

My point that we can trace your family lineage back through time via DNA analysis to show degrees of relatedness between you and your ancestors, and how scientists pretty much do the same thing to trace the lineage and degrees of relatedness shared by all creatures on earth.

I have stated this point to you at least half a dozen times by now. It would be great if you could address it because it speaks directly to the point of discussion regarding evolution and DNA.
To answer you relating to your point is that it has little if anything to do with evolution. Meantime, it leaves the question as to where are the dna links between the last Unknown Link between bonobos, gorillas, chimps (etc.) and humans? What happened? It got lost? You think maybe they'll discover it in a newly unearthed tusk?

YoursTrue

No prob. Best I could find on short notice. :)

I find the other primates pretty fascinating. It's baffling to me how anyone could not see how closely related we truly are.
So close that humans and gorillas, etc., cannot copulate and reproduce. (right?)

YoursTrue

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. The thumb itself proves it didn't just "come about?" How so?

I'm also not sure how this addresses what I said.
I hate to say this, but I'm not surprised that you do not see that it doesn't address that by chance evolution of the thumb and the fabulous creation we see around and in us. But -- be that as it may --

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To answer you relating to your point is that it has little if anything to do with evolution. Meantime, it leaves the question as to where are the dna links between the last Unknown Link between bonobos, gorillas, chimps (etc.) and humans? What happened? It got lost? You think maybe they'll discover it in a newly unearthed tusk?
Of course there are DNA links between man and our other relatives. Extinct or extant. Your questions appear to be poorly formed. Some species went extinct. Some survived with changes from the DNA from their ancestors.

Astrophile

I have shown you this diagram before; it shows Ouranopithecus as the closest known genus to the common ancestor of bonobos, gorillas, chimps and humans. If this is correct, the link between these four is probably not unknown. Please read this reply and look carefully at the diagram, and try to understand that it is evidence for our common ancestry with the other African apes.

Attachments

• 1280px-Hominoidea_lineage.svg.png
    1280px-Hominoidea_lineage.svg.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 0

YoursTrue

I have shown you this diagram before; it shows Ouranopithecus as the closest known genus to the common ancestor of bonobos, gorillas, chimps and humans. If this is correct, the link between these four is probably not unknown. Please read this reply and look carefully at the diagram, and try to understand that it is evidence for our common ancestry with the other African apes.
So sorry, but when I investigated it, evidently there is a gap of genetic material in their sequences between chimps, bonobos, and others similar and humans. And you say, "probably" not unknown?? Somehow if my memory serves me correct, and sometimes it does not, scientists haven't found that missing link yet. The Unknown Common Ancestor. Are you saying they've found it?
P.S. I didn't say one cannot family trace lineage by means of genetic lineup and/or material. But lineage from humans to chimps and bonobos? Not so far...:)

Bear Wild

Here is a documentary featuring that rabbit:

I knew it was real and there is the video to prove it. And they think Foxes are crafty. There is the living proof. Thanks Subduction zone! You will not look at @dan from Smithfield 's avatar the same way again. Behind those innocent eyes and fluffy fur lies the animal forged by natural selection ready to pounce at any moment.

Bear Wild

So sorry, but when I investigated it, evidently there is a gap of genetic material in their sequences between chimps, bonobos, and others similar and humans. And you say, "probably" not unknown?? Somehow if my memory serves me correct, and sometimes it does not, scientists haven't found that missing link yet. The Unknown Common Ancestor. Are you saying they've found it?
P.S. I didn't say one cannot family trace lineage by means of genetic lineup and/or material. But lineage from humans to chimps and bonobos? Not so far...:)

Thankfully you demonstrated you complete lack of understanding of evolution again. It is not a lineage from humans to chimps, bonobos, or gorillas. It never was. Humans chimps and gorillas separated long ago do looking for that lineage is an error of understanding of evolution. But our genetic similarities show how amazingly similar we are and therefore connected sometime in the past. We do not need to find the exact common ancestor. We do not even know if it ever fossilized, but that does not diminish the overwhelming evidence. Just look at all of the extinct hominoids that have been discovered so far. To have any evidence is amazing to have so much is convincing. I think you are probably humanoid from your participation on the forum. But do I really know you are? Does it matter whether you are human or not?