• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence For And Against Evolution

gnostic

The Lost One
There is no evidence that life on earth just happened without divine intervention. Whoever you think it was, or wasn't, the book of Genesis says the earth kinda looked void, nothing more or less there, kind of like Mars and the moon.
Just how old Earth is, based on the Genesis, YoursTrue?

And I am talking about WHEN you believe the Earth was this VOID you talking about.

I don’t mind if you do rough estimate.

So 12 or 13 thousand years? 6000 years? Before 4.6 billion years.

And within this period did life start?

I think this “void” used in Genesis 1:2 is misleading. Because if there were water on Earth at the “beginning” (Genesis 1:2), then the Earth wasn’t a “void” and “formless” as Genesis 1:1-2 claimed.

gnostic

The Lost One
Ok I'll get started soon with why I believe the Bible. But before I do, I'd like to mention that I do not think that the first days of creation were 24 hours each. Some do, I don't.

Genesis 1 don’t mention hours at all, but it does each day comprise of an evening and a morning, and does so in 6 times (Genesis 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23 & 31)...

“Genesis 1:5” said:
And there was evening and there was morning...

...followed by specific day (eg 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day, etc), first instance...

“Genesis 1:5” said:
...the first day.

No one is suggesting Genesis day being 24-hour day. To suggest or claim that, is simply strawman. But the 6 verses do contextually say each day comprising of both evening and morning.

It doesn’t say in those 6 verses (verses 5, 8, 13, 19, 23 & 31), “1 year”, “100 years”, “1000 years”, “1 million years”, etc. No where in those 6 verses contextually mentioning any year.

The evening-and-morning don’t equal to “a thousand years”, as some Christian creationists like to think, by using the simile in the NT 2 Peter 3:8...

“2 Peter 3:8” said:
8 But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day.

The context to verse 5 and the other 5 verses in Genesis 1 is that an evening and a morning make up a day.

The only time, the word “year” being used in Genesis 1, after the creation of the Sun and Moon on the 4th day, where it associate the calendar and seasons with the year:

“Genesis 1:14 said:
...and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years...

Creationists cannot use Peter’s day=1000-year, because Genesis 1 never say it. When they do use this illogical simile, they are only demonstrating how dishonest creationists are, by taking the creative days out-of-context.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Creationists cannot use Peter’s day=1000-year, because Genesis 1 never say it. When they do use this illogical simile, they are only demonstrating how dishonest creationists are, by taking the creative days out-of-context.
Gnostic, if what Peter said is true then Christians should rest on one day after every 6,000 years.

gnostic

The Lost One
Gnostic, if what Peter said is true then Christians should rest on one day after every 6,000 years.
Yes, you’re right.

Where is the logic in that?

And there would be no logic if the sabbath was to last 1000 years.

What Peter’s verse say was never meant to be taken literally.

Creationists who believed in this (Peter’s) verse, often failed to recognize the language in this verse is the literary device and they don’t understand the context of similes - or figure of speech.

With simile, the author is comparing one to another thing that is completely different, hence the languages of symbolism for dramatic effects, when using words -
  • “like”
  • “as”
So ...

“...one day is like a thousand years...”​

Using the “like” simile is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literal as equal. One day doesn’t equal to 1000 years.

Another example, “Usain Bolt runs like wind”, doesn’t literally mean Bolt is the “wind”.

Or “Gilgamesh fought fiercely like a lion”, doesn’t really mean Gilgamesh is actually a “lion”.

It is rather poor biblical scholarship when they failed to recognize similes when they read ones.

Last edited: