• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for an ancient earth

Faithofchristian

There's one problem with Pascal's Wager, it's one sided. Is the argument that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God does exist,
Pascal's Wager for those who believe in God, to help fortify their belief in God.

Pascal was a French man who lived back in 1623 - 62. And he went about to the churches and give them what came to be known as Pascal's Wager.

Hedge Betting came by professional gamblers, who would Hedge bet on their bets. Which is they would cover all their basis leaving ñothing to chance.

It's like you have your favorite football team, that you bet on, but also to cover yourself, you would also hedge bet on the opposing team, that way your covered all your basis leaving ñothing to chance.

Even if your favorite football team did not win, You still win, All because you place your hedge bet on the opposing team also.

Therefore I place myself that God does exist, but after I die I find that God doesn't exist, I lost nothing.

But after I die and find God does exist, I win
All because I didn't place everything on God doesn't exist.

You see I left nothing to chance. But your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and you lose and I win.

You see either way I win and you lose.

You by your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and upon you dieing and find God does exist,
You gave God every right to deny you also, What is Fair is Fair. Or to say,
What goes around comes around.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
With all the Technology tools the scientific world has, they can not prove or disprove life after death. The unknown stands there as the unknown.
If I may ask, do you have any proof or disproof of the unknown.
What does anyone have, that with all the Technology tools the scientific world has, they have yet to prove or disprove the unknown after death.

Science is only concerned with being able to explain the natural world (therefore natural phenomena), which would include finding out...:
  1. WHAT it is?
  2. HOW it work?
  3. WHAT application or use the phenomena may or may not have?
  4. If there is/are application(s), then HOW to apply it?
  5. And lastly, HOW do you test the explanation?
The first four points is all the explanations and predictions are part of the hypothesis or theory.

The last point (point 5) is what determine if any of or the explanations are true or false.

As to the "unknown" you keep bringing up.

Not all unknowns are supernatural.

For instance, (this scenario is completely hypothetical) if you a medical researcher discovered what causes cancer in 1980 (again, this hypothetical, the dates are not important, they are merely my analogy to explaining the natural unknowns as opposed to the supernatural ones). Then he would begin to search for the right treatment to cure cancer. During decades of research, he developed and refine certain treatments that reduce the spread of cancer, but he cannot find the cure. He might die before the cure is found, and cure may be found by someone else a hundred years from his discovery of the cause (1980).

Now analysing my hypothetical scenario, the cure is the unknown, but everything regarding to finding treatments and cure, would under the natural realm of reality.

This unknown (cure for cancer) has nothing to do with the supernatural or with the mythological.

You are right, that no science or technology can ever find evidences to the afterlife, because the afterlife is supernatural, not natural, and science don't deal with supernatural.

Other supernatural events in the bible, other than afterlife, would include any of the miracles, like creating man from dust, talking serpent or talking donkey, the parting of the Red Sea, and some of miracles of Jesus, like walking on water, stopping storm with words, healing the sick with touch or by words, etc.

All these supernatural miracles, including the life after death, are all untestable.

Unknown mean unknown, some of them are natural, while others like the people who followed their religions, believe in some unnatural and supernatural ones. Science may not have the answer to natural unknowns, but science has no interests in trying to prove or disprove the supernatural ones.

Faithofchristian

Science is only concerned with being able to explain the natural world (therefore natural phenomena), which would include finding out...:
  1. WHAT it is?
  2. HOW it work?
  3. WHAT application or use the phenomena may or may not have?
  4. If there is/are application(s), then HOW to apply it?
  5. And lastly, HOW do you test the explanation?
The first four points is all the explanations and predictions are part of the hypothesis or theory.

The last point (point 5) is what determine if any of or the explanations are true or false.

As to the "unknown" you keep bringing up.

Not all unknowns are supernatural.

For instance, (this scenario is completely hypothetical) if you a medical researcher discovered what causes cancer in 1980 (again, this hypothetical, the dates are not important, they are merely my analogy to explaining the natural unknowns as opposed to the supernatural ones). Then he would begin to search for the right treatment to cure cancer. During decades of research, he developed and refine certain treatments that reduce the spread of cancer, but he cannot find the cure. He might die before the cure is found, and cure may be found by someone else a hundred years from his discovery of the cause (1980).

Now analysing my hypothetical scenario, the cure is the unknown, but everything regarding to finding treatments and cure, would under the natural realm of reality.

This unknown (cure for cancer) has nothing to do with the supernatural or with the mythological.

You are right, that no science or technology can ever find evidences to the afterlife, because the afterlife is supernatural, not natural, and science don't deal with supernatural.

Other supernatural events in the bible, other than afterlife, would include any of the miracles, like creating man from dust, talking serpent or talking donkey, the parting of the Red Sea, and some of miracles of Jesus, like walking on water, stopping storm with words, healing the sick with touch or by words, etc.

All these supernatural miracles, including the life after death, are all untestable.

Unknown mean unknown, some of them are natural, while others like the people who followed their religions, believe in some unnatural and supernatural ones. Science may not have the answer to natural unknowns, but science has no interests in trying to prove or disprove the supernatural ones.

Your right about one thing, that there is no way possible to test whether or not if there is life after death ?

gnostic

The Lost One
Your right about one thing, that there is no way possible to test whether or not if there is life after death ?
My point is that "unknown" is more likely to be natural than supernatural.

Supernatural like your belief in the life after death, resurrection, and heaven and hell.

All of which untestable to science...true.

But you cannot test or prove it (life after death) yourself. You can only accept this belief being true, through blind faith.

Just because it isn't testable, don't mean life after death is true.

Faithofchristian

My point is that "unknown" is more likely to be natural than supernatural.

Supernatural like your belief in the life after death, resurrection, and heaven and hell.

All of which untestable to science...true.

But you cannot test or prove it (life after death) yourself. You can only accept this belief being true, through blind faith.

Just because it isn't testable, don't mean life after death is true.

This is where by my faith I believe in life after death.

Let's take professional gamblers, That when they place a bet they do what is called Hedge Betting.

Let's say I have this favorite football team, So I hedge bet, so I bet on my favorite football team, but I also place a bet on the opposing team also.

This way no matter what the out come is, I still win. All because I hedge bet. Not leaving anything to chance. But covering all my basis.

Let's say, that after we die and then after death, we find there is no God in the after life. I lose nothing.

Let's say, that after we die, we find there is God in the after life, I win.

You see either way it comes out, I still win.

But you lose. All because you denyed God in the after life and it's only fair that God can deny you also.

What your doing is placing everything on that there is no life or God after you die.

Therefore your leaving everything to chance, But I leave nothing to chance, but covering all my basis.

So you deny God, and you gave God every right to deny you.

Just remember, What goes around comes around.

Looncall

Therefore you just proved yourself, there is no way to prove or not prove life after death.

I would rather believe there is life after death, than believe there's not life after death.

Take professional gamblers, and say they have their favorite football team. That they bet on, they will also bet on the opposing team. So even if their favorite football team doesn't win, they still come out a winner. By not taking any chances

I use the same thing. With my belief in life after death.
Let's say that when we die and we find there is no life after we die, I haven't lost anything.
Let's say when we die there is life after we die, I win and you lose. You see by my hedge betting I didn't Wager everything on
There is no life after we die, As you in your Wager on there is no life after dieing.

You see either way I win.because I believe in life after death and believe in God. After death.

You see I covered all my bases, leaving ñothing to chance.
But you only covered only one base and left yourself wide open.

Belief in something without evidence is delusion. You have been conned by scoundrels.

Belief in an afterlife brings noxious effects. The present world and one's fellow people are devalued. Horrific crimes are justified.

Are you sure that you want to place yourself with the suicide bombers?

Faithofchristian

Belief in something without evidence is delusion. You have been conned by scoundrels.

Belief in an afterlife brings noxious effects. The present world and one's fellow people are devalued. Horrific crimes are justified.

You, yourself can not prove that there is not life after you die.

Not even the scientific world with all their tools of technology can not prove if there is life after death or not..

So what do you have that the scientific world does not have. With all their tools of technology can not prove life after death.

I am sure they would like to question you, as to how you come up with, that there is no life after death, that they can not prove with all their tools of technology whether there is or isn't life after death.

Looncall

You, yourself can not prove that there is not life after you die.

Not even the scientific world with all their tools of technology can not prove if there is life after death or not..

So what do you have that the scientific world does not have. With all their tools of technology can not prove life after death.

I am sure they would like to question you, as to how you come up with, that there is no life after death, that they can not prove with all their tools of technology whether there is or isn't life after death.

With no way to verify life after death, belief in it is unjustified, as is certainty of its absence. In a way, the notion is meaningless.

That makes it fertile ground for scams.

Faithofchristian

With no way to verify life after death, belief in it is unjustified, as is certainty of its absence. In a way, the notion is meaningless.

That makes it fertile ground for scams.

That's right, that there is no way to justify whether there is life after death or not.

Let's take a professional gambler, and they have this favorite football team they bet on, but also being a professional gambler, they will also bet on the opposing team, This way even if their favorite football team does not win, the professional gambler still win either way. This is called Hedge Betting. You cover all your base's, leaving ñothing to chance.

Let's say that after we die and after death, there is no life or God. I lose nothing.

Now let's say that after we die and that after death, we find there is an after life and God. I win and you lose.

See I covered all my bases, Leaving ñothing to chance.
But you gambled everything on a chance. Leaving yourself wide open.

Therefore you denying the existence of life after death and God.
Now it's only fair that God deny's you also.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's right, that there is no way to justify whether there is life after death or not.

Let's take a professional gambler, and they have this favorite football team they bet on, but also being a professional gambler, they will also bet on the opposing team, This way even if their favorite football team does not win, the professional gambler still win either way. This is called Hedge Betting. You cover all your base's, leaving ñothing to chance.

Let's say that after we die and after death, there is no life or God. I lose nothing.

Now let's say that after we die and that after death, we find there is an after life and God. I win and you lose.

You seem to think there are only two options. But that is very far from being the case.

For example, if the Islamic ideas are correct, and you adopt the Christian ones, then you lose worse than if there is no God.

If there is a God who values honesty, then you lose and I win.

If there is a God that wants intelligent followers and not sycophants, you lose and I win.

If there is a God who wants to be left alone and not worshiped, you lose and I win.

And, of course, this doesn't even start to address the morality of lying to yourself for this gamble.

Faithofchristian

You seem to think there are only two options. But that is very far from being the case.

For example, if the Islamic ideas are correct, and you adopt the Christian ones, then you lose worse than if there is no God.

If there is a God who values honesty, then you lose and I win.

If there is a God that wants intelligent followers and not sycophants, you lose and I win.

If there is a God who wants to be left alone and not worshiped, you lose and I win.

And, of course, this doesn't even start to address the morality of lying to yourself for this gamble.

Nope, either way I still win, and you lose.

This gamble will always pay off, I have laid alot of bets, that paid off. because I do not gamble one sided.

When i bet I cover all my bases, leaving ñothing to chance.
But your way of thinking, you are guaranteed To lose.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

This gamble will always pay off, I have laid alot of bets, that paid off. because I do not gamble one sided.

You didn't readwhat I posted. How do I lose if there is a God that punishes you for worshiping? Or if there is a God that values honesty over submission?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Nah, you lose worse. The one true God is Krishna and He rewards honest and good atheists over people who worship false Gods like the one of the Bible deluded by false promises of heaven.

Profound Realization

We all believe many things with no evidence, including yourself.

Profound Realization

Hopefully for your case then, intentions do not matter. So then, your belief would be in vain.

Profound Realization

If I were never given an age of the Earth, and were shown pictures(if legitimate) of the Earth from outer space, I would perceive it as appearing vividly youthful. It is hard to fathom, from the pictures provided, the Earth being billions of years old, while appearing so vividly youthful. Very astounding how amazingly and seemingly impossible it has aged.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Nah, you lose worse. The one true God is Krishna and He rewards honest and good atheists over people who worship false Gods like the one of the Bible deluded by false promises of heaven.
I don't know what form of Krishnaism you're talking about, but at least Krishnaism common in the west, /that isn't the case at all. Atheists is on level with demon adherence, actually.