• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for an ancient earth

gnostic

The Lost One
There's one problem with Pascal's Wager, it's one sided. Is the argument that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God does exist,
Pascal's Wager for those who believe in God, to help fortify their belief in God.

Pascal was a French man who lived back in 1623 - 62. And he went about to the churches and give them what came to be known as Pascal's Wager.

Hedge Betting came by professional gamblers, who would Hedge bet on their bets. Which is they would cover all their basis leaving ñothing to chance.

It's like you have your favorite football team, that you bet on, but also to cover yourself, you would also hedge bet on the opposing team, that way your covered all your basis leaving ñothing to chance.

Even if your favorite football team did not win, You still win, All because you place your hedge bet on the opposing team also.

Therefore I place myself that God does exist, but after I die I find that God doesn't exist, I lost nothing.

But after I die and find God does exist, I win
All because I didn't place everything on God doesn't exist.

You see I left nothing to chance. But your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and you lose and I win.

You see either way I win and you lose.

You by your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and upon you dieing and find God does exist,
You gave God every right to deny you also, What is Fair is Fair. Or to say,
What goes around comes around.
So God values hypocrisy and deception?

Will God really accept a person who only follow a religion, even though he doesn't believe in God, only just to avoid hell or for reward of heaven?

It just doesn't sound sincere.

Faithofchristian

So God values hypocrisy and deception?

Will God really accept a person who only follow a religion, even though he doesn't believe in God, only just to avoid hell or for reward of heaven?

It just doesn't sound sincere.

God accepts those who are truthful in their belief. religion doesn't have anything to do with it.
If a person is not truthful in what they believe in God, then their religion is vain.

No God does not approve of hypocrites nor deceptions.
You can not point at another of what their doing and you be found in doing the same.That is being a hypocrite.

A person who goes about deceiving another, all the while they are being deceived themselves.

Better to check yourself before you check another.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
There's one problem with Pascal's Wager, it's one sided. Is the argument that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God does exist,
Pascal's Wager for those who believe in God, to help fortify their belief in God.

Pascal was a French man who lived back in 1623 - 62. And he went about to the churches and give them what came to be known as Pascal's Wager.

Hedge Betting came by professional gamblers, who would Hedge bet on their bets. Which is they would cover all their basis leaving ñothing to chance.

It's like you have your favorite football team, that you bet on, but also to cover yourself, you would also hedge bet on the opposing team, that way your covered all your basis leaving ñothing to chance.

Even if your favorite football team did not win, You still win, All because you place your hedge bet on the opposing team also.

Therefore I place myself that God does exist, but after I die I find that God doesn't exist, I lost nothing.

But after I die and find God does exist, I win
All because I didn't place everything on God doesn't exist.

You see I left nothing to chance. But your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and you lose and I win.

You see either way I win and you lose.

You by your placing everything on that God doesn't exist, and upon you dieing and find God does exist,
You gave God every right to deny you also, What is Fair is Fair. Or to say,
What goes around comes around.
Any "deity" that falls for Pascal's Wager is not worthy of worship.

gnostic

The Lost One
God accepts those who are truthful in their belief. religion doesn't have anything to do with it.
If a person is not truthful in what they believe in God, then their religion is vain.

You can not point at another of what their doing and you be found in doing the same.That is being a hypocrite.

A person who goes about deceiving another, all the while they are being deceived themselves.

Then why do you think it is good to "hedge the bet" or use the Pascal's Wager, so you say? Wouldn't God know a person is hedging a bet?

Because that's what you are asking non-believers do - to lie.

The whole hedging the bet is hypocrisy, Faithofchristian.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

If true, then Pascal's Wager has no chance of working. If you 'hedge your bets' with a false belief, then God would know that and you would still pay the penalty.

You also have to deal with the fact that you don't know it is the Christian God that is the active one: you may well be condemned even for belief, if you believe int he wrong God.

gnostic

The Lost One
You also have to deal with the fact that you don't know it is the Christian God that is the active one: you may well be condemned even for belief, if you believe int he wrong God.
If any deity exist, I would consider following Athena.

Not only she the goddess of wisdom and intelligence, justice, and courage, she also kick *** when she K.O. Ares, the god of war in The Iliad.

Faithofchristian

Then why do you think it is good to "hedge the bet" or use the Pascal's Wager, so you say? Wouldn't God know a person is hedging a bet?

Because that's what you are asking non-believers do - to lie.

The whole hedging the bet is hypocrisy, Faithofchristian.

No, what I am saying, that I do believe in God.
But after I die and find there is no God, I haven't lost a thing no matter what the outcome is.

But if there is God after I die, I win.

Now let's say a person who does not believe in God.
And after they die and find there is no God, they didn't lose a thing.
But say, after they die and find there is God, they lose.
You see i haven't lost a thing, no matter what the outcome is.
But that person will lose, if there is God after they die, they definitely will lose.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, what I am saying, that I do believe in God.
But after I die and find there is no God, I haven't lost a thing no matter what the outcome is.

But if there is God after I die, I win.

Now let's say a person who does not believe in God.
And after they die and find there is no God, they didn't lose a thing.
But say, after they die and find there is God, they lose.
You see i haven't lost a thing, no matter what the outcome is.
But that person will lose, if there is God after they die, they definitely will lose.
What if Satan is the true God and he rewards all nonbelievers and Pagan with heaven and throws all believers of Bible and Quran God in hell? Then you lose big time.

Faithofchristian

What if Satan is the true God and he rewards all nonbelievers and Pagan with heaven and throws all believers of Bible and Quran God in hell? Then you lose big time.

You lose, you just gave yourself away, by saying ( what if ) that means your not even sure of yourself who is and who is not.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You lose, you just gave yourself away, by saying ( what if ) that means your not even sure of yourself who is and who is not.
I am showing a state of affairs where your beliefs can land you in hell. So your assertion that you will win regardless of what is actually true is completely false.
As for myself, I am certain that Hindu God is true and that the law of Karma creates misery and suffering over multiple lifetimes for those like you who delude themselves by following false God's. So I am winning and you are losing unless you stop following the false teachings of the Bible.

Faithofchristian

I am showing a state of affairs where your beliefs can land you in hell. So your assertion that you will win regardless of what is actually true is completely false.
As for myself, I am certain that Hindu God is true and that the law of Karma creates misery and suffering over multiple lifetimes for those like you who delude themselves by following false God's. So I am winning and you are losing unless you stop following the false teachings of the Bible.

So what if your hindu god is not true.

gnostic

The Lost One
Atheists is on level with demon adherence, actually.

I cannot know what other atheists, whom I don't personally know, so I wouldn't know what they believe in.

But the relatives, friends and acquaintances, whom I do know to be "atheists", they don't believe in demons any more than they do about gods and angels.

So the claim of "demon adherence" is really absurd.

gnostic

The Lost One

And yet, you insisted that atheists - which I am not, I am "agnostic" - to take the Pascal's wager, which is basically lying to oneself and to others, by being baptised in a religion, in which ones don't believe in, just to cover that god might exist.

You are encouraging atheists to lie, which make you know better than a liar, because you are encouraging them to do wrong.

And the whole argument that you win, is not more than a childish pissing match.

Faithofchristian

And yet, you insisted that atheists - which I am not, I am "agnostic" - to take the Pascal's wager, which is basically lying to oneself and to others, by being baptised in a religion, in which ones don't believe in, just to cover that god might exist.

You are encouraging atheists to lie, which make you know better than a liar, because you are encouraging them to do wrong.

And the whole argument that you win, is not more than a childish pissing match.

The Pascal's Wager has nothing to do with Atheists nor you.
Pascal was a French man named Pascal who lived back in 1623-62 who was a Christian. He came up with the Wager that for Christians it is best to Wager everything on the existence of God, than to face damnation in hell for eternity.

Which became known to day as the Pascal's Wager. Which has noting at all to do with Atheists nor you as agnostic.
But was intended for Christians only.

Faithofchristian

Cool. I am stating that your claim that your belief in God makes you Hell-proof regardless of what turns out to be true after death was false. I have established that.

There's nothing that has been establish as you believe, no one will know anything until after we die. There's no way to know at this time, No one can say what happens to a person after they die.

All we have is to have faith to believe that after we die that we find ourselves on the right side.