• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone on RF is really an atheist.

blackout

Violet.
Well since I believe the ALL OF EXISTENCE is gOd...
then by my definition,
everyone on RF is a theist.
(because they believe in the existence of MY gOd)

So there. :p

(unless of course there is anyone here who does not believe the UniVerse/MultiVerse exists....):areyoucra

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well since I believe the ALL OF EXISTENCE is gOd...
then by my definition,
everyone on RF is a theist.

So there. :p

(unless of course there is anyone here who does not believe the UniVerse/MultiVerse exists....):areyoucra
But Clapton is God. If all of existence were God, and therefore Eric Clapton, I'd be able to play the guitar much better than I do (i.e. not at all).

dogsgod

Stick around here for a while then;)

Nothing, but as I said before your painting religious faith with a broad brush.
I stated "for example" and now I'm accused of painting with a broad brush. If you can provide a more sophisticated example, then by all means, please do.

Seven

six plus one
I stated "for example" and now I'm accused of painting with a broad brush.
Actually you said
Of course there's other reasons why people come to believe in a god. I was commenting on the simplicity of the god concept itself and one way how a belief can be maintained.

It's not possible to form a sophisticated faith. Religious faith is accepting commonly shared prescribed sets of ancient beliefs.
I took from this that you consider any concept involving a god to be simplistic, and that religious faith is always unsophisticated. If I misunderstood you then I apologise.

dogsgod

Actually you said

I took from this that you consider any concept involving a god to be simplistic, and that religious faith is always unsophisticated. If I misunderstood you then I apologise.

That's not what you were quoting when you stated I was painting with a broad brush.

Regardless, provide a concept of a God with cultural influence that is more complex than a four year old can understand and I'll retract my statement. Same goes for a sophisticated form of religious faith.

Seven

six plus one
That's not what you were quoting when you stated I was painting with a broad brush.
I wasn't referring to the quote, I was referring to your obvious attitude towards believers.

Regardless, provide a concept of a God with cultural influence that is more complex than a four year old can understand and I'll retract my statement. Same goes for a sophisticated form of religious faith.
Peoples concepts of god are personal and as complex as they make them. Even within a theistic faith each individual seems to make their concept of god their own.
The only concept of god that a four year old is capable of understanding is one that is held by a four year old.

Perhaps a better approach would be to find out what individual's actually believe, and then decide if it's simplistic.

ONEWAY

In response to the main question, atheism is the denial of the existence of any God. In relation to worldviews, this is the definition of atheism. If one is defining atheism differently then its primary definition, please specify how one is defining it and why.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Atheism is the position that deities do not exist,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities. From Wikipedia

Aethism is the denial of all gods existence. If you believe in only 1 god but not the rest you are a theist not an atheist. If your definition differs then you live in your own reality. :yes:

Tristesse

Atheism is the position that deities do not exist,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities. From Wikipedia

Aethism is the denial of all gods existence. If you believe in only 1 god but not the rest you are a theist not an atheist. If your definition differs then you live in your own reality. :yes:

You completely missed his point. With regard to any other god but your own, you are an atheist with respect to that particular god. You may believe in a god, but for the ones you don't believe in you are an atheist. You aren't actually an atheist in the broader sense of the word.

dogsgod

Atheism is the position that deities do not exist. Now think about this. A theist can most assuredly hold a position that deities, other than his/her own, do not exist. In regards to those other deities, the theist is an atheist by that narrower of definitions. Only in the broadest sense does an atheist hold the position that all deities don't exist, including yours.

Last edited:

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
In response to the main question, atheism is the denial of the existence of any God. In relation to worldviews, this is the definition of atheism. If one is defining atheism differently then its primary definition, please specify how one is defining it and why.

How many time must it be said that this is the modern definition of Atheism? And how many time have you gone back and read the OP where he uses it in the original way?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
...with regard to one God or another. You know EXACTLY what it is like to be an atheist because that is your attitude toward conceptions of God you disagree with. If someone came up to a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim in this forum and proposed that Zeus ruled the earth, none of you would have any problem coming up with excellent arguments as to why it makes no sense that Zeus exists. When it comes to Zeus, you think like an atheist.

Do you agree? Disagree?

The point is you cannot think like an atheist if you already believe in a god. Because atheist believe that gods do not exist. It is contradictory statement to say you are a atheist but believe in any god(s). If you believe there are any god(s) at all you are not an atheist. If you believe in a some gods and not others you are a type of theist or deist. If you only believe 1 god exist you are a type of monotheist. No matter how you look at it that is fact. The OP is contradicting himself. He did not specify he was using the definition in any specific way, therefore the modern definition is to be used.

dogsgod

The point is you cannot think like an atheist if you already believe in a god. Because atheist believe that gods do not exist. It is contradictory statement to say you are a atheist but believe in any god(s). If you believe there are any god(s) at all you are not an atheist. If you believe in a some gods and not others you are a type of theist or deist. If you only believe 1 god exist you are a type of monotheist. No matter how you look at it that is fact. The OP is contradicting himself. He did not specify he was using the definition in any specific way, therefore the modern definition is to be used.

If you say so.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But what of those atheists who firmly believe in the no-god? They don't seem to fit your definition.