• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Approves Two Insects for Human Consumption

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'm willing to eat almost anything as long as it's covered with chocolate. Example: I hate raisins but I love Raisinets. If someone gave me a chocolate covered grasshopper or ant I'd give a go. :D

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
If this is real, I can't watch it. I have a roach phobia, even though they aren't venomous or directly cause disease.

Sorry! It is real, so don't watch. Teller (the hilariously creepy little man in the Penn & Teller duo) is well known for eating live cockroaches (of the Madagascar hissing species).

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
If this is real, I can't watch it. I have a roach phobia, even though they aren't venomous or directly cause disease.

I have a roach phobia too. The original The Sims 1 had an expansion pack called Living Large and if you didn't clean your house well enough the expansion included roaches to encourage you to clean. It freaked me out so much as a kid that while I had the expansion I actually uninstalled it from my Sims game so I wouldn't see those pesky little things.

(I'm sorry.)
latest

Just repeat this: The roaches can't hurt me. The roaches can't hurt me. The roaches can't hurt me.

Bird123

The EU has approved two more insects for human consumption, bringing the total to four:

(Heads-up: The article contains images some may find disgusting.)

Insects on the menu as EU approves two for human consumption – DW – 01/24/2023

What are your thoughts? Would you buy a product containing these or not?

Hmmm? Isn't it an assumption that those worms produce no methane? I wonder what a study would show comparing the same amount of grain eaten by both.

Another issue is what the cows are being fed. Cows were meant to eat grass not grain. Just like with people, you eat the wrong things and the best results are not what you get.

Well, I suppose with enough additives they can make anything taste good. I can see it now. They keep running out of worm ice cream, the flavor of the month. Yummy!!

I must say I'm glad I do not live in Europe.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll try anything at least once
Only way to find out.

I had this repulsion to goat cheese.

One day I ate a chicken gyro and it was absolutely delicious. Especially the sharp ting of the cheese.

I asked what cheese it was and was told goat cheese.

Loved it ever since.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
In a survival situation, of course. Or, if it’s a wild party and people are doing crazy **** to have a good time, then why not. Insects can be an incredible and valuable source of protein… that is undeniable.

Given the option between that and meat, however, I will almost always choose meat. There is just something primal about tearing into flesh with my teeth, and feeling the energy course through my body, that makes me come alive. Plus, I mean, certain things I love too much… like a medium rare steak, or venison, Texas BBQ, smoked turkey legs, red tuna sushi, Black Dragon Rolls, General Tso’s chicken, grilled shrimp, etc….

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
The EU has approved two more insects for human consumption, bringing the total to four:

(Heads-up: The article contains images some may find disgusting.)

Insects on the menu as EU approves two for human consumption – DW – 01/24/2023

What are your thoughts? Would you buy a product containing these or not?
Sure. Why not get back at them after all these years of being on their menus.

I've eaten various insects over the years. Sometimes intentionally. What I have tried was OK. I'm not as fond of the softer forms that are available like silkworm larvae or some of the large grubs. But these things have a high protein content and other nutrients. In some cultures insects have long been used as a food source.