• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Approves Two Insects for Human Consumption

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Did the termites say a pickup line before being eaten?

images
I was on a safari in the domincan republic. we had a haitian guide. during the trip they backed the large truck up to a fence post and broke the top off. Inside were the termite grubs. The Haitian guide ate a few and then offered some to the group. There may have been 10-15 of us. No one, other than me, wanted to try. My thought was, if he can I can. So I ate 3 or 4. Not really unpleasant. Had a unique flavor; which i suspect was derived from the wood that the post was made from.

The grass hopper was a mistake. But really wasn't distinguishable from the greens. I just felt the leg because of the serrations/spine on the legs.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I generally wouldn't either, but I might be willing to try them in powdered form as an ingredient rather than a standalone meal. Even then, they would have to be really powdered. I can't imagine finding a cricket leg in my noodles. :D
I'd been led to believe it was a Western thing, especially American, to not eat insects.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've eaten crickets for some years. They're good. Like everything, it's all about how you prepare it. Roasted together with a spice/herb mixture? They're fantastic.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I have had roasted chapulinas (crickets) in Mexican (Oaxacan) cuisine. They tasted like tree bark. Not for me.

Viker

Häxan
Fixed properly, bugs can be yummy. Crickets and grasshoppers are good. Wasps and scorpions (after removing their danger parts) are pretty good, too. Ants! One way to get people interested is to cover them in chocolate. The coating for some candies comes from bug parts and stuff. And with any approaching food shortages we may need to consider eating more bugs in the near future.

I'm a weirdo, BTW.:p

Heyo

Veteran Member

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some locusts, not all.
And they're quite good. They taste like potato chips.

I know they eat them in Israel, but I'll stick to New York Jewish cuisine, thank you very much. :)

Out of curiosity (not that I'm tempted to try a locust. Nope Nope Nope)... Which are the OK ones to eat?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I know they eat them in Israel, but I'll stick to New York Jewish cuisine, thank you very much. :)

Out of curiosity (not that I'm tempted to try a locust. Nope Nope Nope)... Which are the OK ones to eat?

The ones that are cooked ? :)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I know they eat them in Israel
It's not actually a snack in Israel. What some particular people sometimes do is wait out for a locust swarm, catch a few and fry them. This is usually done either for research purposes (history, ethnography, archeology, etc) or for "Seudot Masoret" (=tradition feasts) where people gather and eat unusual kosher animals as an attempt to preserve traditions of kosher animals (an animal may only be consumed if there's a direct tradition of its consumption, even if it has all of the correct anatomical details).
I'm not an expert, but they can be identified by a C-shaped cavity on their lower thorax. It's easy to remember because it looks like a Hebrew כ (Kaf) which is short for כשר (kosher), a Hebrew ח (Khet) which is short for חלק (completely kosher) or a U, which is part of the OU sign...:D