• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Approves Two Insects for Human Consumption

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The EU has approved two more insects for human consumption, bringing the total to four:

The maggot-like larvae of lesser mealworms — a type of shiny black beetle — and house crickets will become the third and fourth insects that can be sold as food for people in the European Union. Eight more applications await approval.

On Tuesday, the EU gave the green light to the sale of the larvae in powder, frozen, paste and dried forms. The crickets can be sold as partially defatted powder.

For many Europeans, the thought of eating creatures that wriggle or crawl in any form isn't exactly appealing. But insects, already a delicacy in high-end restaurants around the world, are a normal and healthy part of diets in countries from Mexico to Thailand. They have also captured the attention of scientists and businesses looking to clean up farming and feed the planet's growing population.

(Heads-up: The article contains images some may find disgusting.)

Insects on the menu as EU approves two for human consumption – DW – 01/24/2023

What are your thoughts? Would you buy a product containing these or not?

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
The EU has approved two more insects for human consumption, bringing the total to four:

Not even if they were declared kosher (which they are not) would I eat bugs. Locusts are (strangely enough) considered to be kosher, but you won't ever catch me eating one of those, either. :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why not? I've eaten inago (grass hopper i think). And I'm pretty sure we've all swallowed a bug or two in out lives.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Not even if they were declared kosher (which they are not) would I eat bugs. Locusts are (strangely enough) considered to be kosher, but you won't ever catch me eating one of those, either. :p

I generally wouldn't either, but I might be willing to try them in powdered form as an ingredient rather than a standalone meal. Even then, they would have to be really powdered. I can't imagine finding a cricket leg in my noodles. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

In Islam, locusts are also halal, while three out of the four main Sunni Islamic schools of thought prohibit other insects. Locusts are an exception.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Different cultures have different ideas here. My upbringing as conditioned me to never consume insects. I remember as an adolescent someone got a box of chocolate covered ants and dared the rest of us to try one. No one did. But I see the value in slowly overcoming that conditioning.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have eaten termites.

i have eaten a partial grasshopper. I found a remaining leg in my greens. oh well

Did the termites say a pickup line before being eaten?

images

Vee

Premium Member

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
In Islam, locusts are also halal, while three out of the four main Sunni Islamic schools of thought prohibit other insects. Locusts are an exception.

I think this is because that locusts are deemed okay to eat in the Bible that both my people and yours share.

Edited to add: I just checked and read that Muslims don't share the same Bible as Jews (which Christians call the Old Testament). But there must be some shared scripture between us that caused both peoples to arrive at the same religious conclusion about the edibility of locusts? We are, after all, religious cousins (children of Abraham).

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this is because that locusts are deemed okay to eat in the Bible that both my people and yours share.

Perhaps. I suspect it could also be due to their abundance in the Middle East, where both Judaism and Islam originated. The allowance for them in Islam comes from a hadith, specifically.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I prefer to respect the natural chain: chicken eat bugs and I eat the chicken o_O

I wonder what would happen if I ate both the chicken and the bug at the same time. Hopefully they wouldn't fight inside my tummy! I could see that causing digestive issues.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I generally wouldn't either, but I might be willing to try them in powdered form as an ingredient rather than a standalone meal. Even then, they would have to be really powdered. I can't imagine finding a cricket leg in my noodles. :D
Interesting. Insect herbs and spices.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Gross, not a chance. You only put me off for my sushi plans tonight:

But the temptation overcame that disgust. Let's start with some uni. . It is sooooo good:

HOXY2S6HWZDXLEDYBPBSWCPIJU.jpg

Then I always like some Mexican food with my sushi so I order a taco or two. Or is that tako? It is said that same:

tako.jpg

The suckers are the best part.

Then I like to see how many salmon that I can eat with one bite:

IM-18.jpeg

My apologies to the prolife crowd. That is a lot of baby salmon.

But bugs! No way!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For the halal eaters here, is shellfish halal? I am pretty sure that you could eat the eggyweggies. The ikura should be halal. Though it may not be. For the kosher keepers only the ikura may be kosher. Fins and scales. Sorry, no uni or tako for you. But I just checked. ikura is okay.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
For the halal eaters here, is shellfish halal? I am pretty sure that you could eat the eggyweggies. The ikura should be halal. Though it may not be. For the kosher keepers only the ikura may be kosher. Fins and scales. Sorry, no uni or tako for you. But I just checked. ikura is okay.

Yes, shellfish are halal. All of seafood in general is halal except for species specifically stated to be haraam, such as frogs.

Is All Seafood Halal? - Islam Question & Answer

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Processed and powdered it would probably be edible without a second thought. Some things that we have the heebie jeebies about are not only perfectly good protein, but quite tasty when properly prepared.