• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eradication of Human Suffering

Adept

Is it possible, in any regard? And what must it logically entail? (Today, 5 yrs from now, 25 yrs from now, 50 yrs from now)

This is one for all affiliations and people.

Change how we view "suffering". All existence is pure joy!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Only at the omega point of human evolution, however and whenever that happens.
Why will human evolution render suffering as no more? What if the pinnacle of future human civilization would unveil itself in transhumanism, as a society which seeks new worlds to mine and harvest their resources for corporations? What if eradication of general suffering would not even be on the list?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In the last 40 years, the US government has spent more than $27 trillion in the eradication of poverty.

Per capita, poverty hasn't changed. In fact, it seems more correlated with the economy than with any program we throw at it.

Forgive me if I doubt your assertion. "We" can't, even with the help of unimaginable wealth as a resource.

Poverty can be eradicated by getting rid of capitalism and other systems which inherently cause and sustain inherent inequalities. Humanity has to want it, though.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Why will human evolution render suffering as no more? What if the pinnacle of future human civilization would unveil itself in transhumanism, as a society which seeks new worlds to mine and harvest their resources for corporations? What if eradication of general suffering would not even be on the list?

It won't, inherently. But I believe that's the way it will eventually go (what I said, not what you said).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It won't, inherently. But I believe that's the way it will eventually go (what I said, not what you said).
That is to say you are convinced or at least tend to favor the idea that humanity WILL eventually eradicate suffering?
BTW, is it general suffering of all sentient beings? of all of humanity? a certain class of humanity? what will we have to let go of in order to reach such a state? are we going to have to sacrifices certain classes and sectors to reach there? who will bring it about... will it be a certain specialized class of scientists, thinkers, and politicians? a general shift in mainstream human society?

We might as well start digging into the OP to come up with something.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
That is to say you are convinced or at least tend to favor the idea that humanity WILL eventually eradicate suffering?
BTW, is it general suffering of all sentient beings? of all of humanity? a certain class of humanity? what will we have to let go of in order to reach such a state? are we going to have to sacrifices certain classes and sectors to reach there? who will bring it about... will it be a certain specialized class of scientists, thinkers, and politicians? a general shift in mainstream human society?

We might as well start digging into the OP to come up with something.

All suffering will be eradicated when the plan of creation is fulfilled. I'm a Christian.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Without suffering, we would never learn anything of great importance.
I pondered this subject for a while after it began coming up on various occasions. And the thought is quite dreaded. Sounds like the state of WWII camps inmates who at some point simply became numb and apathetic to their own suffering and stopped relating to the outside world in general.

Thanks, but no thanks. Give me running, breathing and sweating while feeling the wind of freedom on my face! Give me the quickening!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Is it possible, in any regard? And what must it logically entail? (Today, 5 yrs from now, 25 yrs from now, 50 yrs from now)

Re: The Four Noble Truths.

Even Yeshua never tried to eradicate the world's physical suffering. He taught that the cessation of a person's suffering has to come from within that person. Can we eradicate suffering in others? No. Can we eradicate suffering in our selves? Yes. Of course, this is my opinion based on what I have found in my own life.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Eradication depends on how people dwell on things. Whither it is on what is to come, or what already has happened.

Clarity

Is that so? I might go with "invincibility" or "imperturbability" at most, but not "immortality."

Then ultimately you would descend into the land of delusion. You've named attitudes that, by their nature, mask reality.

Does pretending to eradicate suffering mean that you actually have?

nazz

Doubting Thomas

I think we can reduce suffering but we can never eliminate it in this world.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

of course its possible.

But its not possible for mankind to eliminate suffering for a few reasons.

1. Mankinds rule is littered with selfish people. Those people are often not interested in the plight of others...they are seeking only their own glory and fulfillment and even those who do want to do some good are not able to make their plans succeed and endure.
For this reason, the bible says: psalm 146:3*Do not put YOUR trust in nobles,
Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.
*4*His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish

2. A lot of our suffering is self-inflicted. We fail to live by good morals which would prevent a lot of our troubles, and until people choose to all live by the 'same' moral standards, we will continue to see the suffering we do.

3. We are all dying. Death is one of the main causes of suffering and every single person is affected by it. Science will never be able to eliminate death from the human condition because death is the result of turning away from God and living outside of his law. Sickness is the result of the ageing process...our body does not repair itself the way it should so it suffers from various illnesses and eventually old age and death.

3. The bible tells us that the world is ruled by Satan the devil. He does not want to see an end to our suffering... and if we try to help ourselves, he is always there putting up roadblocks to prevent us from achieving it.
1John 5:19 We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one

So we can try all we like to eliminate suffering, but its not going to happen by our hand. The issues presented above are the foundations of the world we live in and they cannot be removed by us.

Our only hope is for God to step in and remove them. And that is precisely what he will do.

Yadon

The best you could do is to either get rid of our ability to sense pain or loss, or give us all enough resources. Or kill us all.

Actually, killing us all sounds like the most surefire way. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The best you could do is to either get rid of our ability to sense pain or loss, or give us all enough resources. Or kill us all.

Actually, killing us all sounds like the most surefire way. But I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm sure with our increasing knowledge of nature and medicine, we'll create stronger, more efficient drugs, and technologies, to better control certain aspects of our emotions.

Resources would be an interesting discussion/debate, I'm sure.