• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entreprenuership thread

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Brickj, I think you are right in everything you say, except your conclusions based on the facts. Except for the iPhone, I can barely think of an American entreprenuerial success story in the last 20 years. That is the shame and scary part!

We need to change our thinking about entreprenuership. We need to re-think our purchasing philosophy. We may need to re-think protectionism, for the short term. We definitely need to think outside the box. We need some reform economists. :D

No, but shareholders are in big trouble unless the right entrepreneurs come along.

'Growth' is the only business model that shareholders accept. They put up the money, and they want a return. Because of that a publicly owned businesses cannot stay still and must grow, sell or merge. Without huge population increases and huge new technologies, opportunities for business growth will shrivel away. Shareholders will stop seeing increases and dividends.

What people often are really concerned about when they talk about entrepreneurs are often not the entrepreneurs themselves or their tiny businesses but economic growth. Some optimists hope that by drumming young people out into entrepreneurial concerns that this will expand markets and create new demands to offset the stable, blah, doomed stagnation that shareholders currently face (ok that they always and continually face in a kind of permanent crisis). Shareholders want growth to continue forever.

Also, it isn't necessarily that entrepreneurs aren't succeeding. The successful ones disappear as they are quickly bought up by larger corporations. To be bought out means success to many entrepreneurs. There's nothing wrong with the entrepreneurs themselves. Some struggle, some fail, some succeed. Most that succeed get bought. Suppose that IBM had bought up Microsoft and Apple right from the beginning? That is what is happening today.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm working on (conceptually only) a new kind of pole saw.
It addresses the difficulty of cutting underneath the limb, so
that when it falls it doesn't peel bark down past the cutting point.
I expect it to be wildly unsuccessful....but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Avi1001

I expect it to be wildly unsuccessful....but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Very cool. Let us know if we can help.

Are the blade dimensions the key ?

This sounds like a patent. We should probably set up a thread where we teach people how to file their own Provisional Patent.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very cool. Let us know if we can help.
Post pix of bacon.

Are the blade dimensions the key ?
No. It's about the mechanism which applies force to the blade, & then releases it.

This sounds like a patent. We should probably set up a thread where we teach people how to file their own Provisional Patent.
Ugh...I've been thru the patent process (a transmission & an air brake control system).
If I had anything of value, I'd just keep notes to establish conception dates, & then try
to market it to someone like Stihl, letting them do the hard work of patenting,
manufacturing & marketing. I'm still all about making money, but I want it to be easy,
so that my time is spent on the fun stuff, ie, inventing.

Avi1001

Post pix of bacon.

No. It's about the mechanism which applies force to the blade, & then releases it.

Ugh...I've been thru the patent process (a transmission & an air brake control system).
If I had anything of value, I'd just keep notes to establish conception dates, & then try
to market it to someone like Stihl, letting them do the hard work of patenting,
manufacturing & marketing. I'm still all about making money, but I want it to be easy,
so that my time is spent on the fun stuff, ie, inventing.

Yep, going to a manufacturer, like Stihl, is the only way. But it is a long and complicated path. You are right, a patent is hard work, but a provisional, not so hard. And inventing is the fun part.

How about a provisional patent on a low cholesterol bacon ? ;)

factseeker88

factseeker88

The best way to find out if an invention is marketable is to consult with a patent attorney, or make working drawings and send it to the patent office in DC.

:yes::yes::yes:

"This moment is your life." Omar Khayyam...

"The truth of things will not comply with our conceits, and our interests. Our belief or disbelief of a thing does not alter the nature of things” Tillotson

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The best way to find out if an invention is marketable is to consult with a patent attorney, or make working drawings and send it to the patent office in DC.

:yes::yes::yes:

"This moment is your life." Omar Khayyam...

"The truth of things will not comply with our conceits, and our interests. Our belief or disbelief of a thing does not alter the nature of things” Tillotson
Patent attorneys are generally not experts on marketability of inventions.
And the patent office will have no opinion on the matter...only patentability.
But a company which stands to profit from it....they're the most qualified.
Even then, most of the companies I developed products for ended up losing
money on them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Brickj, I think you are right in everything you say, except your conclusions based on the facts. Except for the iPhone, I can barely think of an American entreprenuerial success story in the last 20 years. That is the shame and scary part!

We need to change our thinking about entreprenuership. We need to re-think our purchasing philosophy. We may need to re-think protectionism, for the short term. We definitely need to think outside the box. We need some reform economists. :D
Big R on Reform. Yes, I am painting too broadly. What really shakes up our economy (which would stagnate otherwise) and gives room for entrepreneurs to grow is the competition from overseas. We need competition from overseas. We just need some manufacturing here, too.

By the way I appreciate your encouraging me toward entrepreneurial actions.

Last edited:

Avi1001

Big R on Reform. Yes, I am painting too broadly. What really shakes up our economy (which would stagnate otherwise) and gives room for entrepreneurs to grow is the competition from overseas. We need competition from overseas. We just need some manufacturing here, too.

By the way I appreciate your encouraging me toward entrepreneurial actions.

Cool, Brickj, you have a real skill, computers and software are getting better every year. And yes, we have to compete internationally. This generation needs to be more entreprenuerial. We have lost some of our edge. We have to gain it back. Keep fighting the good fight, you will win. Let us know how it goes.

Avi1001

I am bumping this thread...I see some new entreprenuership opportunities.....Rex...keep your eye on this thread....can you say....crowdfunding....???

Ok....so here's the new idea....we will take a product to market....and start a new company....right here...in the forum...!!!!

Have any of you seen the TV show..."The Profit"...???...he takes failing businesses and makes them into successes.

"Avi's Entrepenuership Thread"....will take failing threads....and make them into successfull businesses....!!!!

Last edited:

Avi1001

Ok...dudes, I told you I had a couple new ideas for businesses:

1) Chopper Mania....one poster created a wild helicopter...no it doesn't fly...but it would make a great Christmas gift for a child wannabe physicist.

2) Psychiatric Sessions....one poster wanted to start his own religion...we could sell Psychiatry sessions by the hour....we have to find out his speciality....I am betting sexual disfunction......we could probably get $50 per hr.

Anyone wanna start a company.....??.....:)

Last edited:

Avi1001

Here's the idea of how to fund the company....if we crowdsource it on the forum....it says there are 23,000 members...$1 per member...gives us $20k of working capital....anyone on board....?????

For those unfamiliar with crowdfunding:

Crowdfunding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

john2054

but bearing in mind that we're not actually allowed to sell anything, how exactly is this supposed to work?!?

Avi1001

but bearing in mind that we're not actually allowed to sell anything, how exactly is this supposed to work?!?
As the champion of our new "Crowdfunding DIR"....it will be your responsibility to figure that out......you will have to work closely with the Staff, and our new owner, Rex....are you up to it...???