• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entreprenuership thread

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Hi Dudes, I am starting this entreprenuership thread in Sci. / Tech., because we all know that most of the new ideas for new products and processes come from Sci./Tech. ;).

Also, with so many folks from other countries, nationalities, etc. this is a logical fertile ground to begin discussions about natural collaborations.

My expectation is that this thread will later be expanded to its own sub-forum on Entreprenuership.

So remember the "Silk Road", and let the trading begin (ideas only, no money) :).

-Avi

Disclaimer: there is no intention for any activities of any commercial nature to be discussed on this thread. We are not seeking to recruit personnel. This thread is for informational purposes only.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I want vans & pick up trucks redesigned with lower beds for more headroom & easier loading!
A way to do it would be to make them primarily front wheel drive, with a hybrid engine & transaxle. But for traction in dicey conditions, you'd need some power to the rear wheels. I propose that this be done with a small electric motor planetary gearset at each rear wheel to engage when front wheel slip is detected.

I know, I know...it wouldn't be cost competitive on small vehicles.
The technology is competitive in very large off road dump trucks though.

Last edited:

Avi1001

Exactly the type of ideas we need !

Please remember, no connectivity to commercialization until the staff have approved the disclaimer in the OP.

But good ideas are welcome !

How about this thought, we could assemble concept groups, within individual threads, with diverse skills, to move the ideas from conception toward realization, what do you think ?

Also, RG, I am not sure how much experience you have with IP. You have to take care with public disclosure. You may want to revise your post to make it suitable for public disclosure. You don't want to give away your "secret sauce", right. PM me if you would like to discuss :).

I want vans & pick up trucks redesigned .......

Last edited:

Avi1001

Here is an example of what I am thinking:

I am interested in discussing ideas related to: renewable energy, the environment, water and biomedical. I am thinking about new ideas that could be conceived through international collaboration and produced initially, at the pilot scale in the US and manufactured in Asia and South Asia.

A logical team would include: scientists, engineers, business, marketing, graphic artists, legal and related fields, with high ethical and moral standards.

Any interest in discussing in the public domain ?

Last edited:

ScottySatan

I want vans & pick up trucks redesigned with lower beds for more headroom & easier loading!
A way to do it would be to make them primarily front wheel drive, with a hybrid engine & transaxle. But for traction in dicey conditions, you'd need some power to the rear wheels. I propose that this be done with a small electric motor planetary gearset at each rear wheel to engage when front wheel slip is detected.

Holy hell! I didn't know you were smart!

Avi1001

What about the artists here ? How about if we create new media and materials for painting and sculpture ?

And what about the musicians ? What if we create new instruments with materials possessing novel acoustic properties ?

Anyone have anything to add to a wish list ?

Last edited:

Parsimony

I had an idea once, but I think it would be more fun than practical. The idea was to develop a material with an index of refraction so high that the speed of sound in that material would be higher than the speed of light in that same material. The result would be Cerenkov radiation because the vibrations would cause the atoms to move faster than light. So you'd have a material that would glow whenever there was a lot of noise in the area (or in response to your voice). Might be cool to have it at dance party.

Avi1001

I had an idea once, but I think it would be more fun than practical. The idea was to develop a material with an index of refraction.....

Wow, that is a cool idea ! I think most great ideas start out as fun, and only later become practical.

I have some experience with waveguides, but none with hybrid light coupled with other wave frequencies. I think it could be very novel.

As I mentioned to RG, you might want to revise your post to protect your potential IP.

I would be glad to work with you to develop this idea further, either in the public domain, or by PM, whichever you prefer.

Also, I notice you have studied: chemistry, physics and biology. That will help.

Last edited:

Avi1001

Any chefs or cooks ? How about new utensils and materials for cooking or food prep ?

How about wine and beer fans ? New wine and beer receipes ? Fermenting and brewing techniques ?

Cheese ? Aging techniques ?

Bread, pizza ? Dough recipes ? Baking techniques ?

Last edited:

Parsimony

Wow, that is a cool idea ! I think most great ideas start out as fun, and only later become practical.

I have some experience with waveguides, but none with hybrid light coupled with other wave frequencies. I think it could be very novel.

As I mentioned to RG, you might want to revise your post to protect your potential IP.

I would be glad to work with you to develop this idea further, either in the public domain, or by PM, whichever you prefer.

Also, I notice you have studied: chemistry, physics and biology. That will help.
Actually I wouldn't mind if someone else managed to make it workable. I lack the expertise required to design such a material, especially as it would require some very novel understanding of material science to make it happen (the speed of light is usually much, much higher in a material than the speed of sound is).

I also once had another idea that I thought about at length, and that was the idea to produce a glowing soda. The glow would be chemical in origin, similar to that of a firefly. You put some chemical in the soda and fill the rest of the bottle with nitrogen. When you unscrew the cap, oxygen from the air seeps in and oxidizes the chemical, producing light. However, producing such a chemical that would be safe to consume as well as affordable would be quite a challenge.

Avi1001

Actually I wouldn't mind if someone else managed to make it workable.
Yes, that makes sense, but since it is your idea, you may have rights to the IP (ultimately, it would be up to the US Patent Office). There are ethical issues here as well.

I lack the expertise required to design such a material, especially as it would require some very novel understanding of material science to make it happen (the speed of light is usually much, much higher in a material than the speed of sound is).
I expect in a forum as large as this one, there is expertise in a wide variety of areas. And I agree, attenuating the light signal as you suggest, might be very difficult.

I also once had another idea that I thought about at length, and that was the idea to produce a glowing soda. The glow would be chemical in origin, similar to that of a firefly. You put some chemical in the soda and fill the rest of the bottle with nitrogen. When you unscrew the cap, oxygen from the air seeps in and oxidizes the chemical, producing light. However, producing such a chemical that would be safe to consume as well as affordable would be quite a challenge.

Two posts, two potential inventions, it looks like we have an inventor here, folks :).

Last edited:

ScottySatan

I really like that. But I think it would take hours for the oxygen diffusion. Glow sticks are non toxic. What if you take the little glass vial that you break in a glow stick and attach it to the cap such that it gets broken when you open the soda?

Parsimony

I really like that. But I think it would take hours for the oxygen diffusion. Glow sticks are non toxic. What if you take the little glass vial that you break in a glow stick and attach it to the cap such that it gets broken when you open the soda?
I think they are relatively non-toxic. The hydrogen peroxide required to start the reaction is definitely toxic (at least in large amounts) and would add a metallic taste to the soda. You'd also want to avoid getting glass shards in your drink after breaking it.

I considered using luciferin and luciferase (the same chemicals fireflies use), but it turns out that one or the other (I can't recall which) is toxic and costs a crapload if you wanna buy it. Another strategy would be to add a strain of bacteria to the drink which have had bioluminescent genes spliced into them, such as from a jellyfish. Then you'd have people crying foul over GMOs and it would also be expensive.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
What about the artists here ? How about if we create new media and materials for painting and sculpture ?

And what about the musicians ? What if we create new instruments with materials possessing novel acoustic properties ?

Anyone have anything to add to a wish list ?

I'd love to see a clay body with the characteristics of stoneware but better resistance to thermal shock (so it could be used in one the stove top in addition to the oven).

Avi1001

I'd love to see a clay body with the characteristics of stoneware but better resistance to thermal shock (so it could be used in one the stove top in addition to the oven).

Very cool, Tar. There could be some interesting possibilities related to clay recipes, chemistry, materials, and other areas. Artistic areas as well !

freethinker44

It's a good idea, but the suspension might cause a problem. Springs would need to get stiffer as the ride height gets lower. Suspension would be almost non-existent if the ride height was a few inches and you needed to carry any type of load. If the body was made from an ultra light weight material to allow softer suspension. Then again, if ride comfort or stability isn't an issue to the driver or passengers, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Or better yet, develop a load sensing variable suspension to allow for an appropriate stiffness with different loads would improve stability and ride comfort while still allowing for increased loads and lower ride height.

Last edited:

Parsimony

Want another of my kooky ideas?

I also once thought it might be possible to decrease the radar signature of stealth aircraft by using nonlinear crystals to cause parametric down-conversion of the incoming radio waves. When a photon passes through such a crystal, it splits into two photons, each with half the energy of the original. If an aircraft's skin were coated with one (or many) layers of such a crystalline material, the theory then goes that the frequency of the radio waves that are received by the enemy aircraft are much lower than the waves that it originally sent out. Since the aircraft's radar is designed to detect specific frequencies, the received frequencies may in fact not even be detectable (if the difference can be made sufficiently large).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's a good idea, but the suspension might cause a problem. Springs would need to get stiffer as the ride height gets lower. Suspension would be almost non-existent if the ride height was a few inches and you needed to carry any type of load.
- I'm proposing a lower floor height rather than lower ground clearance.
This is doable by eliminating the prop shaft & rear drive axle, which could be simple solid drop axle, or even stub axles.
- Adjustable springs (air) are already on the market to adjust ride & height.
Moreover, this would allow the vehicle to lower itself for loading purposes.
(I have a 15,000# trailer which drops all the way to the ground for loading.)
The big issue is cost. I doubt there's a big enuf market.

If the body was made from an ultra light weight material to allow softer suspension. Then again, if ride comfort or stability isn't an issue to the driver or passengers, it wouldn't be a problem at all.
Comfort & stability are always an issue.

Or better yet, develop a load sensing variable suspension to allow for an appropriate stiffness with different loads would improve stability and ride comfort while still allowing for increased loads and lower ride height.
This is old technology. I explored it at GM Truck & Bus back in the 80s.
(I designed a new heavy truck air brake control system for them. It was really really cute.)

Last edited: