• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

enlightenment?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I'll try to answer from a Buddhist perspective, and simplify a bit. The four Noble Truths of Buddhism are ...

1. Suffering. Our life on Earth consists of suffering.
2. The cause of suffering. Attachment to the things that make us miserable.
3. The cessation of suffering. There is a way out!
4. The way out. The eightfold path as set out by the Buddha.

I'll try to make it relate to our lives. We suffer because we react inappropriately to certain things. We want things we can't get, for example. Fear is also an attachment. The answer is to realize how transitory and unimportant these things are, and detach ourselves from them, or more precisely from our emotional attachment to them. What do we get from that? I have experienced a small taste of it, and I would say the most amazing sense of peace. Imagine a mental state where you never worried about anything for a partial example.

To add a religious element, we are (supposedly) stuck in a endless cycle of rebirth, where we get drawn back into the world over and over, because of our attachment to it. Ultimately, the goal is to end that cycle and not be reborn again.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What is enlightenment?

And how might a person become enlightened?

And why should a person want to become enlightened? What's so good about it?
In my opinion

Enlightenment is Knowledge of Truth.

An unbiased search for the truth to the knowledge you want to know.

No one needs to be enlightened. The only thing good about it, is the feeling of success. The journey is actually the most important part, all the knowledge you learn along the way and how it changes you. For me I feel I am better for doing it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is enlightenment?
Acquiring knowledge (figuratively "seeing the light"), particularly about how the world works and what brings the most lasting satisfaction, the latter being the subset of knowledge called wisdom.
how might a person become enlightened?
By learning.
And why should a person want to become enlightened?
To maximize his chances of finding lasting satisfaction.
What is the opposite to enlightenment?
Ignorance, but you might like this synonym for it: Benightment - "the state of being in physical, moral, or intellectual darkness."
what worked for you?
The application of valid reason to the evidence of the senses and to the intuitions of the conscience. Over time, one tweaks his beliefs and methods according to how well they achieve their desired effect.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Enlightenment, IMO, are those Ah-ha moments where a spiritual thought or question becomes clear. I don't believe it's a one-and-done phenomena, but as others have said, a journey of collecting, revising, and growing to final enlightenment as the Christ possessed for final resurrection.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What is enlightenment?
A series of *doh* moments
By overcoming ignorance through soul-searching, becoming aware of what is actually in your unconscious mind.
You begin to think consciously instead of defaulting to unconscious habits, programming, and presuppositions, and this empowers you to change that programming.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What is enlightenment?

Process, not product. Put another way, it is when one understands the journey is the destination.

By not seeking it in the first place. Process, not product. That said, the remaining mystery schools/religions out there will have you on the path. And they may or may not use words like "enlightenment" at any point. You'll just be walking the path and then go "oh." It is an experience, a process, not a product or destination.

Personally, I didn't; that wasn't why I joined the Order. I joined the Order because it felt like it was time. Sure, there were some more technical reasons, but fundamentally? It was just time. It was time to be a proper Druid and really commit to something. So I did, and I walked on a journey without really understanding where it was going or that it was a mystery school or what the Awen really was either. But that became apparent during the journey. And I started going "oh" a lot. When you're on the journey, the "oh" doesn't stop, in my experience. Sometimes it is an "Oh!" or an "oh?" or "oh..." but lots of "oh" on the path.

As for it being good? I dunno. I've been deeply religious for a very long time. Before walking that path. It's less that it's good than... just... who I am? Helps one be in keeping with who and what one is? But it is not the who and what one is for everyone, oh, no, no. Others have different callings. And they should follow those. Go with that flow. Be what you are. When you find that current? I suppose "good" is a word to put to it.

King Phenomenon

Enlightenment is when one finds out how we got here and where we’re going. O was enlightened by thinking about these very questions. It’s just cool to know the truth about life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice questions, nice answers. Appreciate.
If the place that I end up being is decidedly worse than where I am now does it still count as enlightenment?
You still are enlightened that this way was not correct.
What is enlightenment?
Clear understanding.
One learns, not just from the books.
Someone said 'Satisfaction', 'no more questions to be asked'. It is a big relief, sets one free.
Enlightenment, IMO, are those Ah-ha moments where a spiritual thought or question becomes clear. I don't believe it's a one-and-done phenomena, ..
I do not think it is a long journey. It is one-and-done thing. It is our prejudices which stop us from being enlightened.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Enlightenment is the expansion of an individual consciousness into unity with the single, Universal Consciousness.

Last edited: