• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending life on earth

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Do you think it's a wise decision to end life on earth by ending reproduction by the living humans and leaving earth to the existing animals to breed and multiply ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you think it's a wise decision to end life on earth by ending reproduction by the living humans and leaving earth to the existing animals to breed and multiply ?
Not yet. There is still hope for us learning better.

However... I don't think such a decision would be attained if the situation justified it, anyway.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

No, but a huge reduction in procreation would definitely be a good thing.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We definitely need to promote adoption, we should realize that those who do not want kids do not have anything wrong with them, and we need to stop pressuring people into having kids. We need to dramatically reduce our numbers, but we don't have to make ourselves go extinct.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Is this an anti-natalist thread?

Not exactly, but as many disbelievers think that we are brains, or in other words we aren't souls, then why the need for more children to come and suffer in this life, some will die by diseases, some others by accidents and at the end all will die, so if this whole journey has no purpose but just to live for a limited time and then die, then it's better to save the others from coming for this meaningless life.

Jumi

Life isn't meaningless. We derive meaning from different things than the believers.

sule007

i think so
g.png

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Such as ....
Art, learning things, discovering things, the company of friends, enjoying nature, gazing at the stars, the excitement of tomorrow.
And because I'm an Irish/German mutt, drinking beer and arguing! :D
Many of us have been able to sufficiently carve out our own meanings and purposes in life well enough that we don't need a god or an ancient religious book to give us one.

Kerr

Nah. But I am worried about overpopulation. And that we consume so much without regard to the long term consequences that we end up ruining the world for everyone in the future (finite resources and all that).

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Art, learning things, discovering things, the company of friends, enjoying nature, gazing at the stars, the excitement of tomorrow.
And because I'm an Irish/German mutt, drinking beer and arguing! :D
Many of us have been able to sufficiently carve out our own meanings and purposes in life well enough that we don't need a god or an ancient religious book to give us one.

Our brains do the same things as you do, except preferring coffee, tea and fresh juices than alcoholic drinks.

Our lives are very short and hence it's meaningless if that is the purpose we came for and then better if we don't.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Our brains do the same things as you do, except preferring coffee, tea and fresh juices than alcoholic drinks.

Our lives are very short and hence it's meaningless if that is the purpose we came for and then better if we don't.
I also like tea and juice, but not coffee unless I put so much sugar and creamer in it that I would be better off drinking a soda.
I'm not sure what you mean with your second point. As an existentialist, we define our own meanings in life, we give ourselves a purpose, and many of us do this without need of a god or a religion (although there are some theistic existentialist philosophies).