• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emigration - if you need to leave, where can you go?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I came across an interesting article the other day on the topic of immigration and emigration. It pointed out that much of human history is the story of people coming and going. The foundation of my own country in particular, the United States of America, is a tale of emigrants leaving their home countries to try and find a better life for themselves. The reasons typically fall into one of three general categories: hunger, work, or community (including religion). Today, the reasons for emigration remain much the same.

Unlike in our historical past, however, there are no unclaimed spaces to flee to. Loads of bureaucratic red tape have been affixed to what were once relatively open doorways of opportunity. For some, they present insurmountable barriers. If you need to leave your country, where can you go? Who will take you in?

That question has become harder to answer in today's world.

It's something to think about as we approach debates about immigration policy. Immigration hasn't tended to be an issue I pay much attention to, but this got me thinking about it in ways that personalized the discussion. Imagine being in that scary space of needing to leave, but not being able to go anywhere. It's an unsettling thought, isn't it?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For my family, it would be Canada as I have relatives in Quebec. Now whether they'd lower their standards to let me in is another matter.

BTW, my wife & I almost moved there in the early 70's but to Ontario, not Quebec. I also had a job offer to Australia, which was tempting, but we'd be too far from family.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I came across an interesting article the other day on the topic of immigration and emigration. It pointed out that much of human history is the story of people coming and going. The foundation of my own country in particular, the United States of America, is a tale of emigrants leaving their home countries to try and find a better life for themselves. The reasons typically fall into one of three general categories: hunger, work, or community (including religion). Today, the reasons for emigration remain much the same.

Unlike in our historical past, however, there are no unclaimed spaces to flee to. Loads of bureaucratic red tape have been affixed to what were once relatively open doorways of opportunity. For some, they present insurmountable barriers. If you need to leave your country, where can you go? Who will take you in?

It's something to think about as we approach debates about immigration policy. Immigration hasn't tended to be an issue I pay much attention to, but this got me thinking about it in ways that personalized the discussion. Imagine being in that scary space of needing to leave, but not being able to go anywhere. It's an unsettling thought, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is. Made worse by the fact there is a large group of people in the US that hates immigrants for who they are. That emphasis is important. Meaning, no matter what they do, they will be hated. I cannot imagine how hard that is.

Flame

Beware
About 3 generations of mine would pack up and move back to Italy if we had the chance. I know that my grandparents looked into when I was younger but decided against due to red tape.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Refugees are very desperate. Imagine, in the pioneer days, a 10 year old kid who can't seem to get along, has no living relatives besides his immediate family, and they just drop him off somewhere in a strange town. Yes, it's scary, and on a grand scale. Unfortunately, I see no easy solutions. Many of the 'have' countries that do take in refugees are simply getting kind of full. They want more, but just as a water container has a limit, so does this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Quite a few Brazilians are leaving these days, mainly due to a serious lack of either economic or political perspective here. It is not exactly easy, though. Favored destinations include Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The Americas weren't really unclaimed. We had to subjugate the native population. Europeans had superior technology and took what they wanted.

It's hard solo. Europeans came in groups which provided support. Unless you have family in the country, it'd be really hard. Most countries require that you have a means of support before accepting you in. The exception being for humanitarian reasons. Then however you're totally dependent of the whims of the government. you don't have a whole lot of say what happens to you.

Might as well stay local and improve your life as best as you can, either way it's a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I read this months ago, Travel State (US) Gov, when I thought about traveling out of the US. If I werent born here and came over, compared to living here, Id live where there is safety, medical benefits, and adaquate resources for foreigners. I like how countries have requirements to know the culture and language of a given country. Others say you need to at least know a family member there or go by job. A lot of which you need permission. A few dont accept foriegners at all.

One thing I dislike about america is its too open. I teach foeigners english as a second language; and, a lot of people come here for safety and better government to the people, then job, then everything else. I dont know if america is making better requirements to live here; but, it would be benefitical not because we dont want people to come in but we have culture, language, and history too. How can we improve ourselves if we are expected to welcome anyone outside the country that other cointries did not give themselves the "leizure" of doing.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I read this months ago, Travel State (US) Gov, when I thought about traveling out of the US. If I werent born here and came over, compared to living here, Id live where there is safety, medical benefits, and adaquate resources for foreigners. I like how countries have requirements to know the culture and language of a given country. Others say you need to at least know a family member there or go by job. A lot of which you need permission. A few dont accept foriegners at all.

One thing I dislike about america is its too open. I teach foigners english as a second language; and, a lot of people come here for safety and better government to the people, then job, then everything else. I dont know if america is making better requirements to live here; but, it would be benefitical not because we dont want people to come in but we have culture, language, and history too. How can we improve ourselves if we are expected to welcome anyone outside the country that other cointries did not give themselves the "leizure" of doing.

It's not like the US immigration rate is particularly high though...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's not like the US immigration rate is particularly high though...

True. I wasnt around when it increased dramatically. I do remember when I was young, I only remember seeing native, Americans before I noticed an increase of nationalities as I aged. Two sides of a coin, really. Not like that now, so its hard to develop an unbias opinion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How does that hinder your "improving" yourself?:smirk:

Our country has been trying to keep our culture, but so many come from other countries, we are mixed. We have mixed values. Its a cultural hinderance. Not many people want to value money, but thats how our society is set up and agreements with other countries for our countries basic needs.

In part political and definitely cultural.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It certainly is an unsettling thought, but history has already shown that immigration just takes one set of problems and consequently creates another set of problems when running into indigenous populations.

If history could be rewound do you think Native Americans had they been aware of the consequences would have been so accepting of immigrants given what has transpired?

Sometimes I think if a group of people are having that many serious unresolvable problems, it would follow that somebody has to take a stand and fight back.

Yes.. I agree.. When a person needs to 'flee' a war torn country diplomatically with proper emigration rules and policies being followed, it could get pretty 'hairy'.

Outside for physical danger purposes, why would a person need to emigrate? All other reasons would the same as why many might 'immigrate' into the U.S.

For something 'different'.

Tired of the same ole same ole? Emigrate. why not.. Life is an Adventure!!!