• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egypt Also Discriminates Against the Burkini, but Nobody Bats an Eye

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The translation of Sanathana Dharma = Eternal Religion
It's for all, not only for Hindus, according to my Master

It's still an Indian religion, hence one foreign to European and Western cultures.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's quite inconsistent to avail oneself of the freedom to follow a foreign religion while implying in any way that Muslims shouldn't have the right to do the same.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
In this case? That's unfortunate and inconsistent, then.
Maybe my definition of oppression is different than yours (In Holland we don't have "inflicting harsh authoritarian treatment")

You don't see telling women what to wear as oppressive?
A)
IF I use below definition THEN I would say that Middle East falls under oppressive and the West I would not call oppressive

B)
In Holland women are usually not allowed to go (half or full) naked on the street, neither are men. So, there is dress code anyway.
In Holland due to terrorist attacks they decided to ban Burqa, Balaclava, and all face covering cloth
This I call common sense. Bank robbers can't use them now either.
I don't see this as oppressive (see below)

oppressive

adjective
  1. 1.
    inflicting harsh and authoritarian treatment.

That doesn't mean dictating what women should wear is acceptable in either case.
In Holland we have comparatively very little rules for women what to wear. Mostly, don't run around naked, except where allowed
I think that is not too bad, although I agree, that they could take that rule out, but not sure if that would be smart.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe my definition of oppression is different than yours (In Holland we don't have "inflicting harsh authoritarian treatment")

It seems to me that banning the burkini falls under "authoritarian treatment" and clearly fits the definition.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Burkinis aren't illegal, which makes it even more egregiously bizarre and arbitrary that several resorts ban them. They simply do that of their own accord even though there's no law requiring it.
This changes things a good deal, to my mind.

The OP post implied, to me, that it was the government imposing the restrictions.

That's very different from private property management making rules that only apply to people who choose to patronize their establishment. I fully expect the management to make rules about such things. This isn't any different from an upscale restaurant requiring men to wear a coat and tie.

I don't know how many of those are still in business, but that used to be a thing here in the USA.
Tom

MNoBody

I still don't get what you meant, and I have a suspicion it was a juvenile jab at the appearance of the burkini. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
a prophylactic is a condom, designed to protect
how is a bunch of garb whose sole purpose is for modesty, to quell the animal passion not to be fair game for relating to a condom...its a condom for the mind if that makes it work better for you....
a jest yes, juvenile is your label.
cheers

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, true. Any religion you find anywhere

When I was younger (30 years ago), I read Scientology Bible; was interesting, but hearing it was a sect scared me off, so I did not visit them. But when 20.000 km from home (untraceable):D I visited them in Sydney, and did some of their programs, just curious. Was interesting, and worked even what I did. So, they are less foreign for me than for you. To which you might reply "I rather keep it that way, right?".
I've no desire to keep people of any particular religion away from me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Indian Hindu culture is obviously not a Western culture. Of course it's not a big deal here in America since we're multicultural but it still is a foreign culture. That's all I meant.

Christianity and Judaism aren't really foreign because the West has been Christian for centuries. "The West" is a Christian construct in the first place.
Hindus, & the others I mentioned managed to fit into western
culture while retaining some different views & practices without
conflict. The problem is with those who object to western
values & culture, & become intolerant & violent. This has
been a problem for some Muslims....& some Christians.

Tambourine

In Holland we have comparatively very little rules for women what to wear. Mostly, don't run around naked, except where allowed
I think that is not too bad, although I agree, that they could take that rule out, but not sure if that would be smart.
You just said the exact opposite in the very same post:
In Holland due to terrorist attacks they decided to ban Burqa, Balaclava, and all face covering cloth
So I guess you think it's okay to intrude on people's rights to express themselves when we pretend it's for "security reasons" (because those protesters who get beaten up by cops sure are so dangerous as to warrant a law that bans freedom of expression via clothing).

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You just said the exact opposite in the very same post:
Not that I know. Could you give me my quote saying so

So I guess you think it's okay to intrude on people's rights to express themselves when we pretend it's for "security reasons" (because those protesters who get beaten up by cops sure are so dangerous as to warrant a law that bans freedom of expression via clothing).
I did not say so, I said that that this is the Law in my country. I did not say I agree with all Laws in Holland, but do my best not to break Laws
* I agree with common sense Laws (not running naked)
* I agree with following RF Rules