• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egypt Also Discriminates Against the Burkini, but Nobody Bats an Eye

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The translation of Sanathana Dharma = Eternal Religion
It's for all, not only for Hindus, according to my Master
Also, Hindus are all over the world, including Michiganistan.
Sure, it originated in India, but Christianity & Judaism originated
elsewhere, & they're not considered foreign religions in Ameristan.
I also know a bunch of Sikhs & Muslims here in SE Michiganistan.
They don't seem so foreign.
Btw, Scientology is one religion that originated here. But I
don't know any of them, so it seems more foreign. Go figure.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The translation of Sanathana Dharma = Eternal Religion
It's for all, not only for Hindus, according to my Master
That's nice, but it's still a non-Western religion just as Islam is. Islam can also claim that it is the eternal religion that is for all, and it does.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop bashing Islam all the time and spouting this nationalist rhetoric because it's making you look like a hypocrite.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In Holland due to terrorist attacks they decided to ban Burqa, Balaclava, and all face covering cloth
This I call common sense. Bank robbers can't use them now either.
I don't see this as oppressive (see below)

That makes me wonder now if they are still banned in view of mandated face coverings since Covid?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yes, true. Any religion you find anywhere

When I was younger (30 years ago), I read Scientology Bible; was interesting, but hearing it was a sect scared me off, so I did not visit them. But when 20.000 km from home (untraceable):D I visited them in Sydney, and did some of their programs, just curious. Was interesting, and worked even what I did. So, they are less foreign for me than for you. To which you might reply "I rather keep it that way, right?".

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Indian Hindu culture is obviously not a Western culture. Of course it's not a big deal here in America since we're multicultural but it still is a foreign culture. That's all I meant.

Christianity and Judaism aren't really foreign because the West has been Christian for centuries. "The West" is a Christian construct in the first place.

stvdv

What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop bashing Islam all the time
You replied to my post in which I only said that "Middle East culture is more strict in dress code than Western culture".
That's just a fact. Not bashing. You read more into this, than I was saying
Arabs and Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.
I would not call it oppressive what the West does

A) IF Western people go to Middle East THEN they have to follow their culture strictly
B) IF Middle Eastern people go to the West THEN they have to follow their culture strictly

There is a difference in "strict" though, if you compare Middle East and West, and it's BIG

Cooky

Veteran Member
Source and full article.

While many Egyptians have criticized such actions despite the relative silence from Egyptian mainstream media, this still needs to be more publicized for two main reasons:

1) So that resorts engaging in this discrimination are exposed and forced to change their prejudiced and arbitrary restrictions, and

2) so that Western liberals under the impression that "Islamophobia" and anti-hijabi bigotry are exclusive to non-Muslim countries wake up and realize things aren't so black and white and that Arabs and Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.

It seems to me that tackling these internal issues is way more important than nitpicking other countries to paint Arabs and Muslims as constant victims there even in cases where they aren't.

The liberals view Egyptians as "brown", therefore beyond reproach. To do so, would be considered racism.

stvdv

That makes me wonder now if they are still banned in view of mandated face coverings since Covid?
I always liked the Muslima cloth. Kind of a joke, to ban it in 2019 just before Corona. Nice coincidence. Islam was "corona-prepared" all the time

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe that the oppression of Muslims at the hand of authoritarian oppressive regimes in the Middle East somehow excuses the discrimination Muslims are facing in Western countries?

No, but your description is a bit oversimplified. It isn't just the regimes that do it; sometimes it's a subset of people doing it to another subset of the same religion over religious disagreements. Qur'anist, reformist, and pro-LGBT Muslims, for example, still face significant abuse in multiple Muslim countries both socially and legally.

Can you give examples where Muslims in the West have been portrayed as "constant victims" but were not, in fact, victimized or discriminated against?

The pushback against the idea of being more restrictive about letting Arabs into Europe and labeling it "racist" or "xenophobic" is a good example, albeit one coming from many individuals rather than any one famous person.

It seems to me examples of this mindset tend to be more more along the lines of a general mentality than isolated or particularly outstanding cases.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not call it oppressive what the West does

In this case? That's unfortunate and inconsistent, then.

A) IF Western people go to Middle East THEN they have to follow their culture strictly
B) IF Middle Eastern people go to the West THEN they have to follow their culture strictly

There is a difference in "strict" though, if you compare Middle East and West, and it's BIG

That doesn't mean dictating what women should wear is acceptable in either case.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Daesh wouldn't even exist without the West. :rolleyes:

That's extremely debatable. Many reformist Muslims would disagree, too--some of them (e.g., Islam Behery, who was almost imprisoned before for "contempt of religion" due to his reformist opinions) believe the lack of reform done to the more harmful, outdated, and prejudiced religious texts and interpretations is largely to blame for the conception of ISIS. I tend to agree.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's extremely debatable. Many reformist Muslims would disagree, too--some of them (e.g., Islam Behery, who was almost imprisoned before for "contempt of religion" due to his reformist opinions) believe the lack of reform done to the more harmful, outdated, and prejudiced religious texts and interpretations is largely to blame for the conception of ISIS. I tend to agree.
Daesh is a result of a power vacuum created by the Western forces destroying Iraq and the chaos that followed. Sure, a group with ideology like Daesh could have come about without the West making conditions good for them, but Daesh specifically was at least partially a product of that meddling. If we hadn't invaded and wrecked Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, much of our present situation could've been averted, including the spillover. So we can blame neo-con imperialism for this, for sure.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Given what daesh and others have done to Muslims who did not toe their fanatical rules, I put Muslims oppressing and murdering other Muslims (especially women) as worse than what the West had done.

I wouldn't call it worse at all. There's nothing worse than, say, drone strikes that reach weddings or killing 400,000 or more people in unnecessary wars. Instead, I think it's on par in terms of how important addressing it is. Innocent lives are taken in both cases; to focus on one but not the other seems quite selective and, more often than not, self-serving.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Daesh is a result of a power vacuum created by the Western forces destroying Iraq and the chaos that followed. Sure, a group with ideology like Daesh could have come about without the West making conditions good for them, but Daesh specifically was at least partially a product of that meddling. If we hadn't invaded and wrecked Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, much of our present situation could've been averted, including the spillover. So we can blame neo-con imperialism for this, for sure.

The invasions definitely didn't help or create a less fertile ground for extremist groups. That much we agree on.