• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egypt Also Discriminates Against the Burkini, but Nobody Bats an Eye

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
From the article said:
Though the decision to ban the burkini contradicts with France’s secular principles, at least the majority of the French public who do reject the burkini claim that their reasoning is due to religious clothing being against secularism. However, in Egypt, a Middle Eastern country, where the majority of citizens are Muslim and the majority of women are veiled, several luxurious resorts have implemented their own ban and prevent women from entering pools wearing burkinis.

Society has constantly controlled what Egyptian women should and shouldn’t wear to various degrees, often encroaching on women’s comfort and freedom. Women are torn between what society wants, what society makes women think they want, and what they really want.

A young woman, who preferred to remain anonymous, told Daily News Egypt that she decided to wear the veil when she was 18; however, her family is considered aristocratic and they heavily criticised her decision. At first, they even prevented her from taking the step but she still wore the veil after what she calls “unjustified tension” with her family.

Source and full article.

While many Egyptians have criticized such actions despite the relative silence from Egyptian mainstream media, this still needs to be more publicized for two main reasons:

1) So that resorts engaging in this discrimination are exposed and forced to change their prejudiced and arbitrary restrictions, and

2) so that Western liberals under the impression that "Islamophobia" and anti-hijabi bigotry are exclusive to non-Muslim countries wake up and realize things aren't so black and white and that Arabs and Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.

It seems to me that tackling these internal issues is way more important than nitpicking other countries to paint Arabs and Muslims as constant victims there even in cases where they aren't.

Last edited:

MNoBody

the full body condom style may just become the new fashion craze with all this pandemic bs going on......i may just get one, start tailoring to make it comfy :confused:o_Oo_O

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't understand why you'd want to ban a burkini. I certainly don't feel comfortable in what's considered 'normal' swimwear.
Aye, the burkini is analogous to boardshorts, which I favor.
(The Speedo (aka banana hammock) is TMI.)
hawaiian-punch-board-shorts_large_6dcdcfa0-3fb8-47a1-959d-655ee9eb8965_1024x1024.jpg

You might like these with a suitable top.
hapuna-hic-8-way-octo-super-stretch-boardshorts-7.gif

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand why you'd want to ban a burkini. I certainly don't feel comfortable in what's considered 'normal' swimwear.

I suspect it is merely an extension of patriarchal desire to control what women wear. In Egypt, it also heavily involves the classist notion that the burkini and hijab are "lower-class" than the lack thereof.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Aye, the burkini is analogous to boardshorts, which I favor.
(The Speedo (aka banana hammock) is TMI.)
hawaiian-punch-board-shorts_large_6dcdcfa0-3fb8-47a1-959d-655ee9eb8965_1024x1024.jpg

You might like these with a suitable top.
hapuna-hic-8-way-octo-super-stretch-boardshorts-7.gif
Oof the first one I’d ban out of sheer principle alone. My poor virgin eyes :eek:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I understand, I don't feel comfortable in "normal" swimwear either...much too cold for me. I prefer a surf suit, not a burkini (still too cold)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.

Given what daesh and others have done to Muslims who did not toe their fanatical rules, I put Muslims oppressing and murdering other Muslims (especially women) as worse than what the West had done.

Tambourine

Source and full article.

While many Egyptians have criticized such actions despite the relative silence from Egyptian mainstream media, this still needs to be more publicized for two main reasons:

1) So that resorts engaging in this discrimination are exposed and forced to change their prejudiced and arbitrary restrictions, and

2) so that Western liberals under the impression that "Islamophobia" and anti-hijabi bigotry are exclusive to non-Muslim countries wake up and realize things aren't so black and white and that Arabs and Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.
Do you believe that the oppression of Muslims at the hand of authoritarian oppressive regimes in the Middle East somehow excuses the discrimination Muslims are facing in Western countries?

It seems to me that tackling these internal issues is way more important than nitpicking other countries to paint Arabs and Muslims as constant victims there even in cases where they aren't.
Can you give examples where Muslims in the West have been portrayed as "constant victims" but were not, in fact, victimized or discriminated against?

stvdv

Arabs and Muslims are in many cases just as oppressive toward each other as "white people" supposedly are toward them.
I would not call it oppressive what the West does

A) IF Western people go to Middle East THEN they have to follow their culture strictly
B) IF Middle Eastern people go to the West THEN they have to follow their culture strictly

There is a difference in "strict" though, if you compare Middle East and West, and it's BIG

Tambourine

A) IF Western people go to Middle East THEN they have to follow their culture strictly
B) IF Middle Eastern people go to the West THEN they have to follow their culture strictly

There is a difference in "strict" though, if you compare Middle East and West, and it's BIG
You don't see telling women what to wear as oppressive?

stvdv

You don't see telling women what to wear as oppressive?
A)
IF I use below definition THEN I would say that Middle East falls under oppressive and the West I would not call oppressive

B)
In Holland women are usually not allowed to go (half or full) naked on the street, neither are men. So, there is dress code anyway.
In Holland due to terrorist attacks they decided to ban Burqa, Balaclava, and all face covering cloth
This I call common sense. Bank robbers can't use them now either.
I don't see this as oppressive (see below)

oppressive

adjective
  1. 1.
    inflicting harsh and authoritarian treatment.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Since when are people in the West required to adhere to any sort of culture? We do whatever we want here. You make no sense. Do you only wear Dutch cultural clothing? You follow a foreign religion yourself, so don't be a hypocrite.