• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating a Dog

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
OK, about a decade ago, I was going to barbeque some meat that my wife was supposed to thaw out for me but forgot, thus I had my grill out but nothing to put on it. However, my neighbor's obnoxious dog was outside, so I went over to their house, took their dog, skinned it, cut it up, and then put it on the grill.

When the neighbor came home and found out what I'd done, I offered him money for the dog, but he still was angry. So, I asked him if he ever ate meat, and he said yes, so I then asked him what the problem was as I was more than willing to pay him for the dog. After all, if he eats meat, isn't that eating another animal as I did?

So, did I do wrong?
Yes because you stole from your neighbor. Barbecue your own dog!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
OK, about a decade ago, I was going to barbeque some meat that my wife was supposed to thaw out for me but forgot, thus I had my grill out but nothing to put on it. However, my neighbor's obnoxious dog was outside, so I went over to their house, took their dog, skinned it, cut it up, and then put it on the grill.

When the neighbor came home and found out what I'd done, I offered him money for the dog, but he still was angry. So, I asked him if he ever ate meat, and he said yes, so I then asked him what the problem was as I was more than willing to pay him for the dog. After all, if he eats meat, isn't that eating another animal as I did?

So, did I do wrong?
It was wrong on two counts.
1. You stole. Had you stolen a necklace, and then offered to pay for it, it would still be theft.
2. As a society, we agree not to eat companion animals. This was not a food source for the person you stole it from -- it was family. Civilized countries no longer eat companion animals.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, the above actually didn't happen, but my question for you is "What's the difference?" other than it's "not my dog".

I'll be back tomorrow. :)
I don't know that there is any difference in reality, but we have come to view certain animals emotionally. Dogs, cats, horses, and other companion/pet animals.

I had a friend in college that had a picture of a pig next to his bed. I asked him about it. He said that was his pig Greasy Clyde. Whenever he would come back from home after a weekend he would mention Greasy Clyde. This went on for a while until one day I noticed the picture missing and he hadn't mentioned Greasy Clyde for a while. I asked how Greasy Clyde was. He said, "Delicious". Had some of him for breakfast last weekend. I was flabbergasted. I thought he was a pet. He was for food. My comment was that you don't name it if you're going to eat it. I suppose it doesn't really matter. I love pork in all its various forms. Even pigs feet. I just thought it was a pet and was surprised at how I found out it wasn't.

firedragon

Veteran Member

So, did I do wrong?

Yes. You did something so wrong.

You stole another persons animal. Pet or stock is not a matter. You missed the plot Metis. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

So, did I do wrong?
Yes. Theft, kidnapping, failing to discuss the barking problem with the neighbor, trespassing, animal cruelty and the emotional harm caused to your neighbors family.

RestlessSoul

Dogs are people too. So are horses.

Cats obviously aren't people, but you shouldn't eat cats, cos cats are too cool for school.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
OK, the above actually didn't happen, but my question for you is "What's the difference?" other than it's "not my dog".

I'll be back tomorrow. :)

The dog was his property and you had no right to kill it and do whatever with it without his permission.
That by itself is already enough to argue that you would be in the wrong.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

So, did I do wrong?

Do your morals involve empathy with human suffering? If so then you seem to have disregarded your neighbours. Though beyond this, there is no objective difference between eating the meat of one animal over that of another. A disconcerting thought, like seeing a spring lamb, and then imaging chopping it up and eating it. Still, lamb chops....mmmm

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Do your morals involve empathy with human suffering? If so then you seem to have disregarded your neighbours. Though beyond this, there is no objective difference between eating the meat of one animal over that of another. A disconcerting thought, like seeing a spring lamb, and then imaging chopping it up and eating it. Still, lamb chops....mmmm

Imagine for instance I know that my neighbour in question has murdered someone but that he found a way to get a 'not guilty' verdict, such as bribing the right people.

To what extent is this person deserving of empathy? I would say very little, if any. Would you agree? If so, would you say there is nothing morally wrong (I am not discussing the legality of it) if I were to kill his dog?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

So, did I do wrong?
I just realized that you never mentioned killing the dog first in your story. Did you skin it alive? That would put your story and question into a different light all together. There may be deeper concerns here. Do you like starting fires? You did mention a grill.