• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating a Dog

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
OK, about a decade ago, I was going to barbeque some meat that my wife was supposed to thaw out for me but forgot, thus I had my grill out but nothing to put on it. However, my neighbor's obnoxious dog was outside, so I went over to their house, took their dog, skinned it, cut it up, and then put it on the grill.

When the neighbor came home and found out what I'd done, I offered him money for the dog, but he still was angry. So, I asked him if he ever ate meat, and he said yes, so I then asked him what the problem was as I was more than willing to pay him for the dog. After all, if he eats meat, isn't that eating another animal as I did?

So, did I do wrong?

Staff edit per OP's request: The above story didn't really happen; it is only meant as a hypothetical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
You offered to pay for the dog, so no problem other than emotional damage, I think. You can't really compensate emotional damage, in such a scenario.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
OK, the above actually didn't happen, but my question for you is "What's the difference?" other than it's "not my dog".

I'll be back tomorrow. :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
OK, about a decade ago, I was going to barbeque some meat that my wife was supposed to thaw out for me but forgot, thus I had my grill out but nothing to put on it. However, my neighbor's obnoxious dog was outside, so I went over to their house, took their dog, skinned it, cut it up, and then put it on the grill.

When the neighbor came home and found out what I'd done, I offered him money for the dog, but he still was angry. So, I asked him if he ever ate meat, and he said yes, so I then asked him what the problem was as I was more than willing to pay him for the dog. After all, if he eats meat, isn't that eating another animal as I did?

So, did I do wrong?
So I do this to my neighbour's obnoxious wife. Did I do wrong?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
That specific course of action might cost you your life, in many places. People often love their animals, like family… and love brings out the most powerful emotions. Were you “in the wrong” (hypothetically)? I would not phrase it that way… but were they to lash out at you, vengefully, and violently, I can not say I would feel any sympathy for you. I would feel more sympathy for the dog.

I am not an advocate of unlawful retribution, but there are instances where I can understand it.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

So, did I do wrong?

IMO, should have asked first.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You offered to pay for the dog, so no problem other than emotional damage, I think. You can't really compensate emotional damage, in such a scenario.

Can't the same be said about killing humans though?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

So, did I do wrong?

That is quite the thing, isn't it?
It is the thing that makes me wonder why we aren't all vegetarians already.
The only thought that gives me pause is this: Is it better to be born just to be killed later on and eaten, or is it better not to live at all?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That is quite the thing, isn't it?
It is the thing that makes me wonder why we aren't all vegetarians already.
The only thought that gives me pause is this: Is it better to be born just to be killed later on and eaten, or is it better not to live at all?
Depends, is the hypothetical person in Kansas?