• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easy way to prove the Earth is at least a million years old

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
To make something 'appear' older or younger than it is would be 'fraud'.
God can not lie- Titus 1v2.
That's what I thought too. Which is why I think it strange that so many Christians are willing to believe that God made the universe to appear billions of years old, if it really was only 10,000 years old.

URAVIP2ME said:
Where does the idea of a 10,000 year time frame come from?
None of the creative days are given a time frame.
How long is the 7th day?_______
Your argument is not with me, buddy, but with fellow Christians who do subscribe to young Earth theory.

If you believe that the universe really is billions of years old-- just like it appears-- then you are in agreement with us heathens. :yes:

RedOne77

To make something 'appear' older or younger than it is would be 'fraud'.
God can not lie- Titus 1v2.

Where does the idea of a 10,000 year time frame come from?
None of the creative days are given a time frame.
How long is the 7th day?_______

I've never done this, but when you go to the genealogies in the Bible and add up all the dates you get 4004 BC. Adam wasn't made on day 7, so the length of day 7 is irrelevant. Also, I think scholars have determined that 10-20% of the Hebrew Bible has been lost over the years because scribes unintentionally skipped a few words. So it is quite possible that day 7 had an ending in the original, but was then lost.

How we go from 6000 to 10,000 has to do with people thinking that there is a time difference between verse 1 and 2. As far as I know this is simply bad theology and hermeneutics that didn't appear until the Bibles was in English.

I'd also say that each day (perhaps not 7) does have a time frame as each day is said to be a sunrise and sunset. This indicates that each day is what we would call a 24 hour day; a normal day.

DarkSun

:eltiT
I've never done this, but when you go to the genealogies in the Bible and add up all the dates you get 4004 BC. Adam wasn't made on day 7, so the length of day 7 is irrelevant. Also, I think scholars have determined that 10-20% of the Hebrew Bible has been lost over the years because scribes unintentionally skipped a few words. So it is quite possible that day 7 had an ending in the original, but was then lost.

How we go from 6000 to 10,000 has to do with people thinking that there is a time difference between verse 1 and 2. As far as I know this is simply bad theology and hermeneutics that didn't appear until the Bibles was in English.

I'd also say that each day (perhaps not 7) does have a time frame as each day is said to be a sunrise and sunset. This indicates that each day is what we would call a 24 hour day; a normal day.

Why are you trusting a book written 2000-10,000 years ago by Jewish nomads...?
What reasons do you have to trust this book instead of all the other books made over that time period?
And why are you taking this book's information as a literal truth when all the objective, verifiable evidence points the other way?

Last edited:

javajo

Where does one get the idea the sun, moon and stars were not created until the 4th day?
And God made two great lights...he made the stars also...And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

If we examine the verse in a literal sense, while the verses describe why he made them, which part I omitted for simplicity sake, they say he made them on the 4th day. Which would make sense if the plants were created on the 3rd day, they need the sun. The light source on the first day is unknown and was apparently removed after the sun, moon and stars were made. Of course this is one possibility depending on one's method of interpretation. The Golden Rule of Interpretation is:
When the plain sense of Scripture​
makes common sense,​
seek no other sense;​
Therefore, take every word​
at its primary, ordinary,​
usual, literal meaning​
Unless the facts​
of the immediate context,​
studied in the light​
Of related passages and​
axiomatic and fundamental truths​
indicate clearly otherwise.

RedOne77

Why are you trusting a book written 2000-10,000 years ago by Jewish nomads...?
What reasons do you have to trust this book instead of all the other books made over that time period?
And why are you taking this book's information as a literal truth when all the objective, verifiable evidence points the other way?

:areyoucra Because I have a brain. Care to tell me why you believe everything came from a giant explosion and how a rock evolved into a human?

Skwim

Veteran Member
God's ways and thoughts are far above mine, but my Bible says he is a good God. God is good all the time, all the time God is good. I trust him that everything will pan out in equity and fairness in the end.
God said it. I believe it. That settles it. With that approach I don't see why you even bother discussing religion.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
God said it. I believe it. That settles it. With that approach I don't see why you even bother discussing religion.
Because when a group of 10 people hear god say "hello" it is interpreted to mean about 50 different things.

So then they have to argue over whose interpretation is the "One True Word of God".

RedOne77

Can you please explain why you think I even hold that opinion? :facepalm:

Care to explain why you think I hold the position that the Bible is literally true?

fantôme profane;2188362 said:
Cut it out, it is not funny anymore.

I am not trying to be funny. There was a question about where the creation date came from and about day 7. I answered how such came to be and I am then accused of being a creationist. One doesn't need to accept creationism to explain adding up genealogies and getting 4004 BC or how the verse 1 to verse 2 gap theology came to be. To ask me why I believe this is like asking DarkSun why he believes we evolved from a rock.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Care to explain why you think I hold the position that the Bible is literally true?

I am not trying to be funny. There was a question about where the creation date came from and about day 7. I answered how such came to be and I am then accused of being a creationist. One doesn't need to accept creationism to explain adding up genealogies and getting 4004 BC or how the verse 1 to verse 2 gap theology came to be. To ask me why I believe this is like asking DarkSun why he believes we evolved from a rock.

If you don't believe that, then it's better to clarify than to further confuse us.

The Neo Nerd

Not proof at all. When god created everything a few thousand years ago he created the light coming from the stars already on its way and arriving at Earth.

That tricky *******.

Always putting evidence that he doesn't exist just to fool us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Hebrews chapter four is set in the apostle Paul's day,
and the 7th day was still on going in his day according to verses 4-10.

Yes each of the six creative days have a sunset and a sunrise [evening and morning] but please notice Genesis 2v4 because all of the creative days are summed up as in 'the day' that God made.... So the term 'day' in Scripture has various shades of meaning including the creative days showing not literal six 24-hour days.

There is nothing about CMBR [cosmic microwave background radiation] dating the universe or earth that is out of harmony with Genesis.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And God made two great lights...he made the stars also...And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
If we examine the verse in a literal sense, while the verses describe why he made them, which part I omitted for simplicity sake, they say he made them on the 4th day. Which would make sense if the plants were created on the 3rd day, they need the sun. The light source on the first day is unknown and was apparently removed after the sun, moon and stars were made. Of course this is one possibility depending on one's method of interpretation.

In a literal sense the word 'create' and the word 'made' are two different Hebrew words. Just like in the English language create and made are two different words.

God 'created' the light on day one.
God 'made' the already created light do something on day four.

Please notice what God made the created light do in verses 16-18.
God makes the already existing light to 'rule'......
God gives the light a job to do.

A parent can create a child.
The created child can be made to do something.
The child can be made to go to school.
In connection to the 4th day, the already created light was made to rule over day and night.

savethedreams

:areyoucra Because I have a brain. Care to tell me why you believe everything came from a giant explosion and how a rock evolved into a human?

lol I find that funny, now if you had a brain you would trust the writing of people who actually know or meet, not some random guy 9000 years ago. I think the 'rock becoming a human' has more brain cells then a jewish nomad.

savethedreams

Hebrews chapter four is set in the apostle Paul's day,
and the 7th day was still on going in his day according to verses 4-10.

Yes each of the six creative days have a sunset and a sunrise [evening and morning] but please notice Genesis 2v4 because all of the creative days are summed up as in 'the day' that God made.... So the term 'day' in Scripture has various shades of meaning including the creative days showing not literal six 24-hour days.

There is nothing about CMBR [cosmic microwave background radiation] dating the universe or earth that is out of harmony with Genesis.

It's even funnier to me that, one would think '6,000' years ago people would have jumped on earth already knowing math with a Calendar in there hand.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It's even funnier to me that, one would think '6,000' years ago people would have jumped on earth already knowing math with a Calendar in there hand.
and yet they still believed the earth was flat, that women were nothing but incubators, and that the sun revolved around the earth.

Perhaps all that bouncing up and down whilst riding the dinosaurs scrambled their brains a little?