• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dutch Government censors David Icke (not allowed to come to Holland)

Select those you agree with:

• 01: I think it's good to disallow David Icke to speak

• 02: I think it's good to allow David Icke to speak

• 03: I am 'glad' they censor free speech more and more

• 04: I am 'sad' they censor free speech more and more

• 05: I don't like David Icke, but he should be able to share his beliefs

• 06: I do like David Icke, and he should be able to share his beliefs

Results are only viewable after voting.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
We might differ on proscriptions & consequences
regarding different kinds of speech. What works
in Holland might not here.
I just think that with the privilege of a public platform, comes some type of responsibility.

I think there is freedom of speech as in you should be able to express whatever you want. But if you are going to make claims on public platforms, you should also have to provide evidence for them (=responsibility).

Surely there should be some kind of filter in place to make sure that the spreading of demonstrable falsehoods or baseless serious claims sould not simply pass by unchallenged.
Then there's also forms of hate speech and incitement which also should not simply be allowed to go on unchallenged, without some type of filter, and / or without consequence.

We see in the world in this day and age what doing exactly that leads to.
We have seen it with Brexit (pure lies, unchallenged).
We have also seen it on that infamous january 6.

Yes, not even the POTUS should be able to spew his nonsense unchallenged and without consequence. In fact... the more of a position of authority you occupy (political power or just through expertise of whatever), the more important such becomes. The bigger your responsibility is, the more accountable you should be.

Freedom is great and means a lot of power for the people.
But as the saying goes: with lots of power comes great responsibility.

Without the proper checks and balances, this "obsession" with "absolute" freedoms will inevitably cause western secular democracy to collapse in on itself.
And we'll turn into autocratic charades like Russia.

The problem is not the freedom. It's the abuse thereof. There should be a framework that on the one hand keeps the legit use of the freedom yet on the other prevents the abuse thereof.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just think that with the privilege of a public platform, comes some type of responsibility.

I think there is freedom of speech as in you should be able to express whatever you want. But if you are going to make claims on public platforms, you should also have to provide evidence for them (=responsibility).

Surely there should be some kind of filter in place to make sure that the spreading of demonstrable falsehoods or baseless serious claims sould not simply pass by unchallenged.
Then there's also forms of hate speech and incitement which also should not simply be allowed to go on unchallenged, without some type of filter, and / or without consequence.

We see in the world in this day and age what doing exactly that leads to.
We have seen it with Brexit (pure lies, unchallenged).
We have also seen it on that infamous january 6.

Yes, not even the POTUS should be able to spew his nonsense unchallenged and without consequence. In fact... the more of a position of authority you occupy (political power or just through expertise of whatever), the more important such becomes. The bigger your responsibility is, the more accountable you should be.

Freedom is great and means a lot of power for the people.
But as the saying goes: with lots of power comes great responsibility.

Without the proper checks and balances, this "obsession" with "absolute" freedoms will inevitably cause western secular democracy to collapse in on itself.
And we'll turn into autocratic charades like Russia.

The problem is not the freedom. It's the abuse thereof. There should be a framework that on the one hand keeps the legit use of the freedom yet on the other prevents the abuse thereof.
Don't call me Shirley.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We might differ on proscriptions & consequences
regarding different kinds of speech. What works
in Holland might not here.

That is even not wrong/false. I only accept links to pure true STEM. You are nothing but an irrational believer like the rest of us including me. Welcome to the silly side. ;)