• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

During Hiatus: Been re-evaluating Christianity and Islam, and here's my conclusion

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I have decided that I believe Christianity is more true then Islam. That does not mean I want to become a Christian, I believe all religions contain degrees of truth. I have decided that Christianity is more true then Islam based on several factors, which I will list below.

1) Christianity is 600 years older then Islam historically, and hence has more of a leg to stand on when speaking of the person of Jesus and beliefs concerning him.

2) That the Christian idea of undeserved grace actually makes a lot of sense, even to me as a Pagan. None of us are perfect and we shouldn't pretend we are, we all need grace from god.

3) Christianity allows for more of an open mind and freedom of thought and ideas, while Islam is traditionally oppressive of ideas which is thought to be against traditional Islam. I do not believe God wants us to be like programmed robots.

Those are a few of the reasons I have determined I hold Christianity to be more true then Islam on the religious scale. I will now proceed to examination of other religions.

Peace everyone

Renji

I don't want actually to compare Christianity to other religions, but i do believe in its teachings. But the problem with the whole Christendom is that it is divided into many sects. There's so many that some non-christians will find it to be a bit hard because of different doctrines. But if there's something that is common with all of us Christians, well it is only one thing: Christ. I just hope that Christianity will be united someday through Christ....

Rainbow Mage

Storm in the case of number 3 that may be, but it also kind of happened within Christianity itself. The Reformation and Rennescience brought about a lot of what led to the freedom from the Catholic Church.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm in the case of number 3 that may be, but it also kind of happened within Christianity itself. The Reformation and Rennescience brought about a lot of what led to the freedom from the Catholic Church.
The Catholics had nothing to do with Salem.

Rainbow Mage

Does the Salem Witch Trials truly compare to what the Church did in Europe for centuries? Secondly, the Salem Witch Trials took place across a span of a few counties in Massachusetts, by what I would argue were religious extremists, even by Puritan standards.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Does the Salem Witch Trials truly compare to what the Church did in Europe for centuries? Secondly, the Salem Witch Trials took place across a span of a few counties in Massachusetts, by what I would argue were religious extremists, even by Puritan standards.
They certainly did their best to emulate it, so I'd say yes. Anytime you put religion into power, it gets ugly.

Rainbow Mage

Well Christianity no longer has any power, so I'd say it's a moot point. I was talking about how I feel Christianity as a religion holds more truth then Islam, not about politics.

Renji

Well Christianity no longer has any power, so I'd say it's a moot point. I was talking about how I feel Christianity as a religion holds more truth then Islam, not about politics.

If there's any power left to us, it's not political power, but the "power" to preach about God and how to do things according to His 'will'.:yes:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Number three is problem some. Christianity is such a diverse religion that of course it is going to be more laid back than Islam. At the same time though, you can see Christian sects that are as oppressive if not more oppressive than Islam. Basically, one could say that Christianity is the most and least oppressive religion out there simply because it spans such a great span of ideas and beliefs.

Does it really matter which one is more true though? If I was a Christian or Muslim, you saying that your opinion is Christianity is more true simply would be moot. Even not being either, I still find your opinion on the matter to be moot simply because you, nor anyone else, can prove that either religion is necessarily more true than another.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That's not quite true unless you've changed your mind recently. I clearly remember you stating that Christianity, specifically the conservative faction, has a lot of power in American politics. You citied examples such as homosexuality.

Wombat

1) Christianity is 600 years older then Islam historically, and hence has more of a leg to stand on when speaking of the person of Jesus and beliefs concerning him.

Um...Why would the criteria of what is said about 'Jesus' be used to determine which faith is more or less 'true' unless Christianity is already the standard and measure of 'truth'?

Also...in terms of instruction from any authority (Police, Commander in Chief, God) which instructions hold greater authority and sway? The oldest instructions or the most recent?

2) That the Christian idea of undeserved grace actually makes a lot of sense, even to me as a Pagan. None of us are perfect and we shouldn't pretend we are, we all need grace from god.

Is the notion of "undeserved grace" eliminated/spoken against within the Quran?
Is not God described as the All Mercifull? the All Compassionate?

3) Christianity allows for more of an open mind and freedom of thought and ideas, while Islam is traditionally oppressive of ideas which is thought to be against traditional Islam. .

"more of an open mind and freedom of thought and ideas" in reguard to what?
Science? Medicine? Social Justice? The Arts? Architecture? Music?

A few quick examples-
Are you aware that melodic music (as opposed to the drone of 'praise singers') can be traced directly to the first (Islamic) Troubador?
Likewise- table settings, courses and table manners....from Islam.
Inheritance rights for women (unknown in Europe) first established under Islam?
Algebra?....not a product of "open mind and freedom of thought and ideas"?
The list goes on and on....even to the establishment of the first Universities in Europe...the only reason they came into being was to translate the immense bounty of knowledge collated and preserved by Muslims in Spain. It took 700 years to get through most of it and allmost >everything< we know about our Western/Greek heritage was preserved therein.
Please....I am not a Muslim defending Islam....I am a human being who knows he owes an immense debt to open minded Islamic thought and culture.

BruceDLimber

Senedjem, you might also want to investigate the Baha'i Faith, which is newer than Christianity and Islam and offers a somewhat different perspective.

Regards, :)

Bruce

neves

Well that makes sense, you’re a Pagan and Christianity seems truer than Islam...as Islam is opposed to all belief systems pagans hold dear and Christianity with its Trinity system and all... Why did it take you a hiatus to come to this conclusion?

Smoke

Done here.
3) Christianity allows for more of an open mind and freedom of thought and ideas
That's a rather startling statement, considering that the majority of Christians are Roman Catholics and a sizeable percentage of the remainder are fundamentalists. Not saying I disagree with your conclusion, just that it doesn't say much for either.

Rainbow Mage

Well that makes sense, you’re a Pagan and Christianity seems truer than Islam...as Islam is opposed to all belief systems pagans hold dear and Christianity with its Trinity system and all... Why did it take you a hiatus to come to this conclusion?

That has nothing to do with it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It seems to me that they are equally untrue, even though they equally hold their part in beauty, grains of truth, admirable traits, and less admirable traits like misogyny and homophobia.