• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your "Lifestyle" Predict Your Political Beliefs?

Galateasdream

image.png

Yes and no. I'm economically left, socially libertarian. I'll take it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I took it as one of those questions with no choice.

I chose motorcycle. I remember all the fun I had dirt biking.

I had a motorcycle and got bored with it in less than a season. I also don't do mini-vans. But I picked mini-van because I prefer four wheels.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
interesting, but some of the forced choices are sometimes bizarrely unrelated...

This also misses some of my more extreme positions--such as strongly disliking and wishing to greatly inhibit any large organizations...

I'm 85 percent liberal...
Hardcore left-wing...
political-left-right

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I may have to agree with you considering results I've gotten from the test personally.

The gears are burning a little bit in nowhere man's head. I may have to lay down a bit....

I always knew there was a soft, mushy bleeding heart under that contrarian conservative facade. Let it out, Nowhere! :p

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I always knew there was a soft, mushy bleeding heart under that contrarian conservative facade. Let it out, Nowhere! :p
I just react negatively to loss of economic and personal freedom. Primarily the Nanny state mentality and pro big government There are better ways.

Everything else like equality, income disparity, out of control corporations, healthcare and the ecology I am very supportive and positive towards provided only if it's done right and proper without the need for knee-jerk legislation.

Otherwise I'll rip it down like a rabid dog wearing a red maga hat.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The test is here:

Political Left / Right Test

From the description:

"Scientists like John R. Hibbing, Ph.D., Kevin B. Smith, Ph.D., and John R. Alford, Ph.D., argue that differences between the political left and right are not just a cultural phenomenon, but that they are rooted in genetics as well.

Scientific research has shown that the same genes that predispose you to certain political options also predispose you to lead a certain lifestyle. Thus it should be possible to deduce your political orientation from your lifestyle."

My result:

View attachment 36680

Admittedly, this is basically where I was politically several years ago, and my lifestyle probably still matches. In terms of my personality and values, elements of conservatism are appealing to me. But in terms of policy I've moved considerably to the left as I've aged.

How about you? Does the test predict your beliefs any better?
I came out as mildly left wing 60:40, even though I have been a UK Conservative voter most of my life. But I think this is an American test. I always feel the political spectrum in the USA is to the right of that in Europe, so I suppose I could out left of centre on a US scale.

Jeremiah Ames

The test is here:

Political Left / Right Test

From the description:

"Scientists like John R. Hibbing, Ph.D., Kevin B. Smith, Ph.D., and John R. Alford, Ph.D., argue that differences between the political left and right are not just a cultural phenomenon, but that they are rooted in genetics as well.

Scientific research has shown that the same genes that predispose you to certain political options also predispose you to lead a certain lifestyle. Thus it should be possible to deduce your political orientation from your lifestyle."

My result:

View attachment 36680

Admittedly, this is basically where I was politically several years ago, and my lifestyle probably still matches. In terms of my personality and values, elements of conservatism are appealing to me. But in terms of policy I've moved considerably to the left as I've aged.

How about you? Does the test predict your beliefs any better?

I thought I would be more left wing, but then I prefer country music and living in the country.
upload_2020-1-31_17-38-38.png

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't know about that. Left and right is pretty determinant of party affiliation.
30 years ago, in America, there were both liberal and conservative Democrats, and liberal (well, moderate really) and conservative Republicans...both parties have participated in practicing bipolar politics...

however, I find my politics not matching either party's platforms...I am not a moderate, but most of my preferences are far outside any "middle" between the two extremes...

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I just react negatively to loss of economic and personal freedom. Primarily the Nanny state mentality and pro big government There are better ways.

I understand. The thing is, I reject this right-wing framing we're so often told that deregulated markets and businesses equals "economic freedom." It doesn't. Requiring our employers to pay us enough to live makes us freer. Enforcing standards of how we're to be treated by at work makes us freer. Enforcing standards that prevent vendors from selling us food or other products that will kill us or poison our environment makes us freer. There is of course a balance, I dont want a North Korea-style dictatorship. But the diagnosis of what gives or takes away "economic freedom" is not as simplistic as "government bad."