• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your "Lifestyle" Predict Your Political Beliefs?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
After taking the test, i feel this test is far from accurate and the choices provided are often weird
That's my assessment as well. It comes across as a parody quiz like the belief o matic was where my inclinations were that of an orthodox Jew at the time I took it.

Good harmless fun.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm a right-leaning centrist. That's actually true if the right was a 1950's/1960's republican and not today's Trump party republican.

political-left-right

Rational Agnostic

The test is here:

Political Left / Right Test

From the description:

"Scientists like John R. Hibbing, Ph.D., Kevin B. Smith, Ph.D., and John R. Alford, Ph.D., argue that differences between the political left and right are not just a cultural phenomenon, but that they are rooted in genetics as well.

Scientific research has shown that the same genes that predispose you to certain political options also predispose you to lead a certain lifestyle. Thus it should be possible to deduce your political orientation from your lifestyle."

My result:

View attachment 36680

Admittedly, this is basically where I was politically several years ago, and my lifestyle probably still matches. In terms of my personality and values, elements of conservatism are appealing to me. But in terms of policy I've moved considerably to the left as I've aged.

How about you? Does the test predict your beliefs any better?

I scored "genuinely in the middle." I'd say that's pretty close but I would probably say I am a left-leaning centrist. Keep in mind the test did not only ask "lifestyle" questions. It also asked about beliefs, though in a somewhat indirect way.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I scored "genuinely in the middle." I'd say that's pretty close but I would probably say I am a left-leaning centrist. Keep in mind the test did not only ask "lifestyle" questions. It also asked about beliefs, though in a somewhat indirect way.

Agreed. I suspect part of the reason I scored as leaning right was because of a few questions where I chose a preference to "do the right thing."

epronovost

I found many of the question a bit weird and pointless. I don't like carrots (I picked the orange one on a coin flip); I don't want neither a minivan or a motorcycle (are any form of personnal vehicle, I walk or use public transportation); when I visit, I do all of the three first options; I couldn't care less about who is using the streets in front of my house, etc.

I ended up with a 60/40 in favor of left wing policies. It's a bit more moderate than I would have expected a more solidly left leaning stance, probably something like 75/25.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Admittedly, this is basically where I was politically several years ago, and my lifestyle probably still matches. In terms of my personality and values, elements of conservatism are appealing to me. But in terms of policy I've moved considerably to the left as I've aged.

I've neither moved right or left... My political beliefs are always governed by the idea of what is reasonable. What I view as the most unreasonable idea is someone claiming my mental territory -- my mind is mine. That means I don't have to adapt to your views if they don't make sense to me. :D

There is the the "left" which I would call "classically liberal" that I'm completely supportive of, but the modern liberal / progressive ideology is garbage to me. It believes in imaginary things like identities and reinforces inequality as a boogeyman to push it's agenda points. I'm not down with that or fooled by it...

We live in a time where the only reason you aren't doing something is your own laziness or lack of will to do so. Color, gender, or anything else won't keep you back. Sometimes people don't know how good they got it right now... seriously.. :D

As long as Dems are courting that imaginary "struggle" I'll reject them. But, it's worth noting that no one is "completely left" or "completely right". Some conservatives may believe in limited government, but certainly see the value in aiding the unfortunate with benefits like welfare, social security, government run healthcare, etc. Kinda funny on the healthcare -- most conservatives aren't really against it, they just think that Obamacare sucks and jacked up the costs. I tend to agree.. :D

Riders

The test is here:

From the description:

"Scientists like John R. Hibbing, Ph.D., Kevin B. Smith, Ph.D., and John R. Alford, Ph.D., argue that differences between the political left and right are not just a cultural phenomenon, but that they are rooted in genetics as well.

Scientific research has shown that the same genes that predispose you to certain political options also predispose you to lead a certain lifestyle. Thus it should be possible to deduce your political orientation from your lifestyle."

My result:

View attachment 36680

No. But its an interesting question. It seems to me that I run into conservative Christian men who have had a lifestyle of wanting to have a sexual lover instead of relationship, kind of like what I have been talking to my friend about where you just have a cuddling buddy or sex buddy instead of relationship, or conservative Christian men who think its ok to live together first.

I don't see anything wrong with that lifestyle if they are not having an affair on their wives if they're not married why not? But their Republican conservative ideas and the church is against it, so quite often many of them do not agree with their own politics and church when it comes to sexual life style, so what that those people?

Ayjaydee

The test is here:

From the description:

My result:

View attachment 36680

Swing and a miss

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The problem with such a test is that I'd wind up near the
middle, despite having extreme positions on both sides.
I don't want my extremism looking like fence sitting....or
worse yet, moderation.
Totally with you on this.

I'm really fairly extreme, in a nuanced sort of way. But my morality and world view doesn't match any of usual patterns.
Tom

gnomon

The test is here:

From the description:

My result:

View attachment 36680
testing

It's garbage.

Ayjaydee

The test is here:

From the description:

My result:

View attachment 36680

Nope, far too simplistic

Laika

Premium Member
Just tried it again,

political-left-right

Keep in mind that when my sixth form politics teacher asked the class "what would you do if you saw someone burning a British flag?" my responses was "Give them an American flag..." :D

political-left-right

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Somewhat Left-Wing, 65%:35%. I blame Corbyn for dragging me to the right since I would have expected that I would have been much more left-wing. But then the options were a little limiting.