• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the OT apply to modern day gentiles?

jonathan180iq

Hey guys, I became a born again christian 2 years ago. Since then I have been trying to find answers to questions which just won't leave me. I have been subscribing to three main forums [Christian, Jewish and Messianic] and I am now more confused than ever because these 3 groups all have different interpretations of the scriptures. Going back and forth between those three forums was too much so I was led here by someone in the hopes that all three faiths mentioned [or more] can join in and discuss everything here under one roof, if ok with you guys?

My first very basic question is, as a modern day gentile, does the OT apply to me? I am being told NO, the OT refers specifically to the Jews. And where it does apply to Gentiles, it was meant for the gentiles "of that era ONLY". If anyone disagrees with this, please state why? Thanks.
Do you see any of this questioning leading you closer to your pursuit of God?
Do the denominational schisms that exist within your own faith and especially between the parent and daughter faiths of Judaism and Christianity do anything at all to deepen your faith in God?

If the answer is No, then why worry about it?

The point of any religious text, regardless of how you use it, is to draw you nearer to your concept of the divine.
Ask yourself what you truly believe about the whole thing, stop listening to so many differing voices, and follow your faith. If you're honest, you can't go wrong.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think that when scripture says the Law is forever or God's word is forever, it means that to keep it forever will make you wise. It is like knowing History.
Those who know history are at an advantage over those who do not know it. Those who know ancient wisdom are at an advantage over those who do not know it.

That doesn't really seem like anything Jesus said

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes. Your ancestors wanted the abridged version and mine was willing to take the unabridged one.

Does God abide to this? So, now I (or a gentile God fearing guy) can cook and eat my pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, and you can't? And what happens if one of my ancestors is a true Jew and I do not know? Am I offending God with my Saturday's barbie?

Could you change your mind and start cooking and eating pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, too? If not, why not? Because of the choice of your ancestors? Maybe, if He closed an eye once, He could close it twice, who can say?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That doesn't really seem like anything Jesus said
What? Jesus says to obey Mosaic Law? Can you show me that he did?
John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him Obeys the law shall not perish but have eternal life.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. by obedience to the law

Have I got it right now?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Does God abide to this? So, now I (or a gentile God fearing guy) can cook and eat my pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, and you can't?

Could you change your mind and start cooking and eating pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, too? If not, why not? Because of the choice of your ancestors? Maybe, if He closed an eye once, He could close it twice, who can say?

Ciao

- viole

you don't have to be a christian to cook whatever you like

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him Obeys the law shall not perish but have eternal life.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. by obedience to the law

Have I got it right now?

The sacrifice is conditional/ Do you think it means all the laws are moot, because of Jesus's sacrifice? Some laws were modified, and some were redacted..not all, as far as i know

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Have I got it right now?

The sacrifice is conditional/ Do you think it means all the laws are moot, because of Jesus's sacrifice? Some laws were modified, and some were redacted..not all, as far as i know

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
you don't have to be a christian to cook whatever you like

Of course. Atheists cook whatever they like, within reason. But I might be a Jew. i cannot really say, since I have no knowledge of my ancestry beyond a couple of generations.

So, what shoud I do?

Ciao

- viole

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Of course. Atheists cook whatever they like, within reason. But I might be a Jew. i cannot really say, since I have no knowledge of my ancestry beyond a couple of generations.

So, what shoud I do?

Ciao

- viole

I would say do what you think is religiously best. Since your listed religion is ''gnostic atheism'', that might not even be an answer.

Akivah

So, what shoud I do?

Ciao

- viole

The question is, what do you want to do? If you feel a pull to Judaism, then go to it. If you don't, then don't.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Does God abide to this?
Yes.
So, now I (or a gentile God fearing guy) can cook and eat my pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, and you can't?
Correct.
And what happens if one of my ancestors is a true Jew and I do not know?
There's only one ancestor who would be able to affect your status in any given generation. So the chances are pretty slim. If somehow you lucked out, I guess you'd probably fall under the category of a "captured child". At any rate, the dictum "G-d is not tyrannical with His creation" would probably apply, so since you would have no way of knowing, you couldn't be held accountable for it.
Am I offending God with my Saturday's barbie?
G-d doesn't have feelings with which to be offended.
Could you change your mind and start cooking and eating pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, too? If not, why not? Because of the choice of your ancestors?
No, I couldn't. Once your in, you can't leave. So in a way, yes, because of my ancestors.

Maybe, if He closed an eye once, He could close it twice, who can say?
I'm not sure what you mean by this closing an eye.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, it is either obey them all or obey love. A consequence of love is the law needing to be obeyed will be obeyed.

meghanwaterlillies

Well, it is either obey them all or obey love. A consequence of love is the law needing to be obeyed will be obeyed.
Doesn't always fit and if others don't especially intention to do harm outside of what is written, bend of those within even within what is written. What if your father or authority wants you to kill someone, you love your father or that authority. Now the things you might feel even if you follow might make you feel subject to the law even if it didn't seem so bad. But what if they did it intentionally too, what if the intention was to make you feel the guilt, and they felt whatever.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Doesn't always fit and if others don't especially intention to do harm outside of what is written, bend of those within even within what is written. What if your father or authority wants you to kill someone, you love your father or that authority. Now the things you might feel even if you follow might make you feel subject to the law even if it didn't seem so bad. But what if they did it intentionally too, what if the intention was to make you feel the guilt, and they felt whatever.
Love is about serving God, not about serving other people imo. So if you love someone but he is not good, you do not follow his directions. Follow The Spirit. How? Faith is following without knowing how.

meghanwaterlillies

Love is about serving God, not about serving other people imo. So if you love someone but he is not good, you do not follow his directions. Follow The Spirit. How? Faith is following without knowing how.
right this might be a new testament thing, ever notice that we are to call God good, but suppose that we cant even call Jesus good. Well who is good.

meghanwaterlillies

right this might be a new testament thing, ever notice that we are to call God good, but suppose that we cant even call Jesus good. Well who is good.
easily someone could make a very nasty God and scribe it up and say that its the same god as yours no example of that or what is good. This might be a law instead of a Living Everlasting God.