• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the OT apply to modern day gentiles?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
*shrugs*
What is the pupose of all the NT teachings, then? You are implying that they aren't relevant, if one follows that one law
The people who say you must know what the Bible really teaches to obey God are misleading people imo.
I believe the purpose of scripture (both of them) is to be joined with Jesus. A person can obey God without being joined.
A person can be good without being joined.

I am a woman. Some women are very happy to just raise a family and never pursue a career, Some aren't.

I choose to pursue a career knowing God. To know makes me happy. Can a person be happy but not do that? Of course!

For me, to know is what the Bible is for.

Are you aware of Romans 2:14?

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The people who say you must know what the Bible really teaches to obey God are misleading people imo.
I believe the purpose of scripture (both of them) is to be joined with Jesus. A person can obey God without being joined.
A person can be good without being joined.

I am a woman. Some women are very happy to just raise a family and never pursue a career, Some aren't.

I choose to pursue a career knowing God. To know makes me happy. Can a person be happy but not do that? Of course!

For me, that is what the Bible is for.

Are you aware of Romans 2:14?

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.

Great, that doesn't mean that anyone calling themselves a Christian is adhering to Scripture by default. Your statements are a ''could'', not ''are''

meghanwaterlillies

Jesus never said do not call him good. He asked the question, "why"?

I actually do see your point. Its the matter on the heart. I'm pretty used to dealing with certain aspects in that use that phrase as well. Against well.. Jesus or even saying this person or that. It almost made me feel worried to call people good or even in general. It was mostly in certain areas dealing with islam, that pushed one side.

Akivah

Well, you brought up the abridged word. Seems pretty subjective to me

Have you tried looking up the definition of the word "abridged"? According to Merriam-Webster, abridged means:
1. to reduce in scope
2. to shorten in duration or extent
3. to shorten by omission of words without sacrifice of sense.

Tumah expressed surprise that you stated the Talmud is an abridged version of the bible. Given that the Talmud is multiple books and the bible is just one book, it defies reason that you think it is subjective as to whether the Talmud is shorter than the bible.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Have you tried looking up the definition of the word "abridged"? According to Merriam-Webster, abridged means:
1. to reduce in scope
2. to shorten in duration or extent
3. to shorten by omission of words without sacrifice of sense.

Tumah expressed surprise that you stated the Talmud is an abridged version of the bible. Given that the Talmud is multiple books and the bible is just one book, it defies reason that you think it is subjective as to whether the Talmud is shorter than the bible.

The ''Christian'' Bible is longer than the Judaism Torah/Tanach
Ot and NT

Flankerl

Does God abide to this? So, now I (or a gentile God fearing guy) can cook and eat my pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, and you can't? And what happens if one of my ancestors is a true Jew and I do not know? Am I offending God with my Saturday's barbie?

Yeah sure why not. If you are into the idea that God just hates you, sure.

If you are into some form of logic though, probably not.

Could you change your mind and start cooking and eating pork chops on Saturdays with impunity, too? If not, why not? Because of the choice of your ancestors? Maybe, if He closed an eye once, He could close it twice, who can say?

You are a Jew if you have a Jewish mother or converted. If neither applies you are not Jewish. Its not that difficult of a concept.

lostwanderingsoul

Let's imagine for a minute that you have a child. You make certain rules you want your child to follow. The child makes up excuses why he does not need to follow your rules. Is he still your child? Of course. Do you still love him? Of course. Are you maybe a little dissapointed that he does not follow your rules? Probably. So God made rules and Jesus says He wants you to follow tose rules. You look for excuses not to follw them. Are you still God's child? Does God still loveyou ? Might He be a little disappointed? The thing is, Christians do not have a problem with nine of the ten commandments. They agree people should not kill one another and should not steal.People agree they should worship God and respect their parents. It seems to just be that commandment about the Sabbath day thatthey have a problem with. But if God rested on the seventh day and wants people to honor that day why not just go along with it. Maybe God will be a little less disappointed.

meghanwaterlillies

Let's imagine for a minute that you have a child. You make certain rules you want your child to follow. The child makes up excuses why he does not need to follow your rules. Is he still your child? Of course. Do you still love him? Of course. Are you maybe a little dissapointed that he does not follow your rules? Probably. So God made rules and Jesus says He wants you to follow tose rules. You look for excuses not to follw them. Are you still God's child? Does God still loveyou ? Might He be a little disappointed? The thing is, Christians do not have a problem with nine of the ten commandments. They agree people should not kill one another and should not steal.People agree they should worship God and respect their parents. It seems to just be that commandment about the Sabbath day thatthey have a problem with. But if God rested on the seventh day and wants people to honor that day why not just go along with it. Maybe God will be a little less disappointed.
most people already do, not everyone can. Whos gonna run your power on Saturday, whos gonna be a doctor if someone needs their services?

meghanwaterlillies

most sticklers give people stigmas about things they couldn't do on the Sabbath. When anyone can rest themselves and be content the day or the days they have off. And I like a said a lot of people already do.

meghanwaterlillies

Oh and I forgot to mention that have you ever noticed that Sabbath keeping even along with Sunday goers has a bit to do with economy. Over expansive verse actual need. And then when there is a need. For example we have people in the bible it mostly regarded food and beverage prep so that your not out shopping or spending on that day not only are you not giving yourself a break but maybe even certain industries were your giving most because obviously todays world gas and stuff would be there. And then for example the Catholics used things like 7 seven deadly sins in regards to how maybe how economy has or a person has or "need" even in a personal area.
Also forgot it came to down an issue to buying and selling at the temple.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

You say a Christian can keep a Sabbath on Saturday or Sunday. God says to keep the seventh day. This is the same kind of excuse making that Christians like to do. I'll keep whatever day I want regardless of what God wants. If your child tells you he will eat whatever he wants for dinner regardless of what you want, you would not be very happy. How do you know this is not how God feels?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You say a Christian can keep a Sabbath on Saturday or Sunday. God says to keep the seventh day. This is the same kind of excuse making that Christians like to do. I'll keep whatever day I want regardless of what God wants. If your child tells you he will eat whatever he wants for dinner regardless of what you want, you would not be very happy. How do you know this is not how God feels?

Sunday is the risen significance day. Sabbath is merely the day of rest /Genesis, and is actually arbitrary to any modern calendars.

Do you worship Saturn?
'Saturns day