• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the OT apply to modern day gentiles?

Hey guys, I became a born again christian 2 years ago. Since then I have been trying to find answers to questions which just won't leave me. I have been subscribing to three main forums [Christian, Jewish and Messianic] and I am now more confused than ever because these 3 groups all have different interpretations of the scriptures. Going back and forth between those three forums was too much so I was led here by someone in the hopes that all three faiths mentioned [or more] can join in and discuss everything here under one roof, if ok with you guys?

My first very basic question is, as a modern day gentile, does the OT apply to me? I am being told NO, the OT refers specifically to the Jews. And where it does apply to Gentiles, it was meant for the gentiles "of that era ONLY". If anyone disagrees with this, please state why? Thanks.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Who was there before the Jewish ?
Where was that 'God' ?
And of course......who wrote Genesis 1 & 2.
~
Oh well......waste of time
~
'mud

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, I became a born again christian 2 years ago. Since then I have been trying to find answers to questions which just won't leave me. I have been subscribing to three main forums [Christian, Jewish and Messianic] and I am now more confused than ever because these 3 groups all have different interpretations of the scriptures. Going back and forth between those three forums was too much so I was led here by someone in the hopes that all three faiths mentioned [or more] can join in and discuss everything here under one roof, if ok with you guys?

My first very basic question is, as a modern day gentile, does the OT apply to me? I am being told NO, the OT refers specifically to the Jews. And where it does apply to Gentiles, it was meant for the gentiles "of that era ONLY". If anyone disagrees with this, please state why? Thanks.
I think the blessings promised the Gentiles were for them who lived with the Jews peacefully and I think those apply the same now. I think that the condemnation of the Gentiles in the OT was for them alone.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Whoever is telling you that, is very misinformed. ''Christian'' basis beliefs, use the OT as well as the NT. The argument that somehow the OT was only for that era Xians, makes no sense. Theology is derived from the OT, among other things. A person does not have to use the OT, but they won't be a Jesus adherent. They can call themselves a ''Christian'', if they want, of course. Do you want to not use the OT?

Skwim

Veteran Member

As I understand most Christian thinking, only those laws, rules, injunctions, etc. of the Old testament that are referenced in the New Testament are important, be they confirmed, rejected, or modified.

A person does not have to use the OT, but they won't be a Jesus adherent. They can call themselves a ''Christian'', if they want, of course. Do you want to not use the OT?
Appreciate the input guys. No, I do want to use the OT as it is the foundation of everything biblical. Some are saying that I can abide the OT's laws but I would first need to convert to Judaism for it to apply to me. Others are saying that I can abide by the OT if I would like to become more spiritual but not bound or obligated to do so since it does not apply to me.

As I understand most Christian thinking, only those laws, rules, injunctions, etc. of the Old testament that are referenced in the New Testament are important, be they confirmed, rejected, or modified.

Yes, that has been my findings too. My issue with that is it seems like a christian would be picking and choosing which laws to follow. I am thinking all men on earth should be observing ALL 10 commandments of the OT but you see the reason for my question.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Appreciate the input guys. No, I do want to use the OT as it is the foundation of everything biblical. Some are saying that I can abide the OT's laws but I would first need to convert to Judaism for it to apply to me. Others are saying that I can abide by the OT if I would like to become more spiritual but not bound or obligated to do so since it does not apply to me.

So, we are discussing the OT Biblical laws, and if they pertain to you. That is actually up to the individual, technically, besides the specific things mentioned, as not applying to ''Christians'', in the NT.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, that has been my findings too. My issue with that is it seems like a christian would be picking and choosing which laws to follow. I am thinking all men on earth should be observing ALL 10 commandments of the OT but you see the reason for my question.

Thanks for keeping women out. It would indeed be silly, for most of them, to expect that they have problems to not covet their neighbor's wife.

Ciao

- viole

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

In my opinion, I'd side with the Jews. I don't feel any scripture would be "outdated" and non-applicable if it were god's actual word. Pardon my French, but, to me, it just sounds more like laziness. I say that because Jesus followed Jewish customs. If Jesus did, why not Christians?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, that is it, you've stated it better, thanks. Sorry I am not understanding the 2nd part of your sentence, can you put it any other way please?

The NT gives specifics on what 'laws', people are not to follow. Or at least, people /in this context, not practicing Judaism.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, the laws themselves and following them are two different things. From what I've seen, all Christians pretty much pick and choose which laws they follow and what to believe. The Christian religion is extremely flexible in its demands and expectations. If a particular denomination emphasizes some aspect of Christianity that is unappealing there are always others a person can turn to that don't emphasize it. It's one reason Christianity has survived and grown as it has. It's almost a do-it-yourself kind of religion. The World Christian Encyclopedia says there are 33,000 denominations. So, decide what you need to believe to be satisfied and then find the denomination that meets these needs.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Other than answering new questions that you have not already asked, I think I've already responded elsewhere as much as I can to be helpful. Welcome to this forum.

I should note that you have posted your question in the General Religious Debates section so pretty much anyone of any religious persuasion, or lack thereof, can respond.

I should also note that the Jews who participate on this forum are also a mixed lot, although we have at least one ultra-Orthodox Jew on the forum and a couple of Orthodox Jews, including an Orthodox rabbi (not me, but you know that already.) Furthermore, we have many different types of Christian who are members of the forum and some of those Christian members would deny that members of a different group of Christians are Christians.

So be prepared to be even further confused than you are!

ronandcarol

Premium Member
Does the OT apply to modern day gentiles?
The Ten Commandments are located in the Old Testament! Of course the O.T. is
relevant to us today. The entire Bible is God inspired and the Old Testament has a
wealth of information. Many references to the New Testament are found there. Thank
God that the death and resurrection of Jesus put an end to all those bloody sacrifices,
as well as saved us from our sins. So we do not have to sacrifice sheep like they did
in the O. T.

ronandcarol

Zigzangle

I was a 'born again' as a kid, but lost my faith by the time I became an adult, when I realised that the 'born again' dogma was highly unpleasant and had no validity.

The Bible was written well before science was studied, it should not be taken literally in my opinion.

This is what I have gathered so far. I should live my life trying to keep all 10 commandments, the only commandment in question is if to observe sabbath. One Orthodox rabbi has told me that while I am not required to keep the sabbath I can do so if I wish to have a closer relationship with God BUT I should "purposely break one or more of the sabbath laws not to be in violation being a Gentile" so that is my current issue. I wish I could find other Orthodox Rabbi's to confirm or deny this, any thoughts please?