• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does satan actually exist?

Master Vigil

"But by your definition, the man yelling fire in a burning building shows great direspect to those wishing to disbelieve the fire."

Its too bad that satan and a fire are not even compareable. Since fires are real.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So you say. I believe the spiritual is every bit as real as the physical and far more important. But to each is own. Some can see the spiritual side every bit as clearly as others see the physical.

Does anyone smell something? Sorta like smoke? :D

Scott1

** Back on topic please..... let's be nice, everyone.:D
md_88 said:
. I think in the early days of Christianity, satan was conjured up from nothing as being the primordial evil because the christian leaders wanted to keep their followers in line and maintain their own power. they did a simmilar thing in the middle ages when they threatened to excommunicate world leaders who did not do as asked. what do you guys think?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Alright, back on topic. :) I do believe Satan is an absolute heap of dung. Some people use him to demonize their opponents. Some use him as a scare tactic. Some would insist he's whispering his lies into my ears right now. :biglaugh:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Supposing Satan exists, just exactly how does he influence people. Does he whisper things in our ears? Is he responsible for some of the thoughts we have? What is his mode of operation?

Scuba Pete

I do believe Satan is an absolute heap of dung.
On this I completely agree. He is that and worse.

Satan works by developing those niggling little doubts. Like in the Garden of Eden, he made Eve believe "You will not surely die!". He gets us to focus on the physical and completely miss the spiritual. We consequently lose sight of the important things in life: love, honor and sacrifice. Does he whisper in your ear? Not if he has you convinced he's a myth. Why bother?

Lightkeeper

barnardpi said:
Satan is a symbol used to represent the ego. If you read any scripture that mentions Satan and simply replace the word with "ego", this will become self-evident.
Welcome to the forum. We are very happy to have you here.:) Yes, that makes a lot of sense. The ego would interfere with the Divine.

Master Vigil

Back on topic... I don't believe in satan because I do know the spiritual. I work with the spirit world everyday, all day. And I have even worked with what christians think are "demons" and from knowing the spiritual side very well, I can assure you they are no such thing. From my extensive experience with the spiritual world, I have discovered that satan is just a myth.

Scuba Pete

I can't claim to "work" in the spirit world, but I exist in it 24/7. It is by far the most important part of our existence, and I can assure you, that he exists. That you can't see him and believe him to be a myth only means that he has been successful.

His biggest ally is our ego as barnardpi so eloquently pointed out. We don't want to appear foolish, and because everyone else associates Satan with the Boogeyman, we feel ashamed. The little seeds of doubt are his forte. He does nothing as extravagant as appear as a flaming beast with a forked tail and pitch fork. He just very subtly makes you hate your brother by imagining slights. He breeds intolerance and dissatisfaction.

Dr. Nosophoros

No, I do not believe in a Satan, demons, god(s) goddesses etc. the idea of an "evil" supernatural being originated and evolved in much the same ways the "good" god(s) did, they were born out of ignorance and were/are fed by fear. later they were used as a political and societical tool for control and still is to a degree. I think Satan as simply symbolism for ego is a modern interpretation because it is harder for people today to believe in a literal "Satan" as a being and as it has since it's inception, religion is morphed to fit it's society. Satan is represented in the bible as a being just as real as Jesus, if we are to believe that the physical representation of satan in the bible is simply a symbolic one, then logically, the same would go for Jesus- what did he represent if only a symbol for something else?

There is a popular saying that "The greatest trick of Satan is convincing people he isn't real", considering all of the persecution,suffering, death, torture, wars, hatred, etc. that have been caused by the people that did/do believe in him, I don't think an "evil" being that revelled in the suffering of humans would want anyone to forget him. I think he would be very pleased that all the suffering was caused because of belief in him in the name of his nemesis "good god" by his "good" followers- I think he would want you to believe in him so that cycle could continue and he would laugh in hell (or wherever he is supposed to be).

Or we could just completely absolve all the perpetrators of these horrors through history that have been committed against millions of human-animal kind and hold none accountable for any of it except for a cosmic "bad guy", of course if it wasn't "Satan" or "God", it probably would have been something else, that is as long as people gave those beliefs as much power as they have the satan/god myths, and that is the trick. There are plenty of places and beliefs in this world where the idea of "satan" does not exist, or do some want to believe that Abrahamic/Judeo-Christian etc. beliefs and resulting off-shoot cultures are universal and binding to the entire world?

Master Vigil

"I can't claim to "work" in the spirit world, but I exist in it 24/7"

Very true, but simply existing in it doesn't mean you understand it. And you base your beliefs on scripture written by men who also didn't understand it.

"He just very subtly makes you hate your brother by imagining slights. He breeds intolerance and dissatisfaction."

This is just more proof that he doesn't exist. Especially because I have found more love, tolerance, and respect in those who don't believe in him, than those who do. I wonder why that is? Hmm... Maybe its because he doesn't exist. And don't tell me that those who I'm talking about aren't "TRUE" christians, that doesn't cut it. Neither of us know what makes a "True" christian. But I'm sure you are going to tell me what you think makes a true christian. So go ahead, preach away.

Master Vigil

You know NetDoc, I just read your post in the "My daughters Teacher" thread, and I just want to say, I don't think you are stupid or anything for believing in the devil. Sure I don't believe it is true, but I do respect your opinion. I just wish people would accept their faith as opinion. I accept mine that way, I understand completely that my belief is my opinion based on my own perceptions of the world around me. I don't believe my way of thinking works for everyone, and I accept the possibility that I'm wrong. I just don't like others who claim theres is the only right way. Its not very humble in my opinion. So I'm sorry if I made you think that I thought you were stupid, that was not my intention. I only wanted to express that it was your opinion, not fact.

Scorn

Not to pick at you NetDoc but you are the one leading the charge in the opposition.:)

NetDoc said:
Satan is the Father of lies. His goal is to get everyone to think of him (and God) as mere fairy tales. Then nothing really matters. For most people he has done his work well.
What percentage does satan gain in that? If I don't believe santan exists (or God) and live my life well and respectfully of the planet and others then what harm have I done? Why on earth would any god (assuming from your perspective) have issue with me just because I had been duped by a powerful source yet still managed to live my live in a decent loving manner?

NetDoc said:
I can assure you, that he exists. That you can't see him and believe him to be a myth only means that he has been successful.
The same way you can assure me that god exists?

NetDoc said:
His biggest ally is our ego as barnardpi so eloquently pointed out.
I understood barnardpi's quote as satan = symbol in a allegorical sense.
"Satan is a symbol used to represent the ego. If you read any scripture that mentions Satan and simply replace the word with "ego", this will become self-evident."
I didn't get the idea that the satan abuses our egos. I really don't think your idea and barnardpi's are compatable.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am sure I will tick someone off with this one, but oh well.

If you look at the mythologies of different religions you will find the same archetypes. Deified human heroes, cycles of birth and rebirth, and gaurdians of the Underworld, just to name a few. Satan in the Christian mythology can be equilovated with several beings of other religious mythologies and pantheons. Take for example the Greek pantheon, Which truly mirrors the Christian one only older. Hades was Zeus' right-hand man and entrusted with many things Zeus would trust no other with. Hades rose up against Zeus and wanted his power as his own and Zeus banished him from Mount Olympus to Rule over the Underworld. Does this at all sound familiar? Let us not forget that Zeus had a child with a mortal woman and hence...Hercules...the mortal born son of God. There are truly so many similarities between beliefs that is it just not possible that these things have just been interpreted differently with different names and locations to explain the story of the supernatural world. I could name many cross references between religions but that would get for too lengthy here.

My personal definition of religion is simply this: Religion is belief in something besides yourself that makes you feel better about yourself and the world in general. With this comes the need of understanding and that is only obtained on a personal basis. What holds true for one doesn't for another and vice-versa.
Walk in the Light and Blessed Be

Lightkeeper

I think Satan or evil is everything we don't understand in ourselves. In otherwords it is the things we haven't discovered in ourselves or are not conscious of. God is what we don't understand in the outer world and Satan is what we don't understand in the inner world.