• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matter to you what happens to other people in the forums?

Does it matter to you what happens to other people in the forums?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No (explain if you want to)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I am concerned about these online acquaintances as I am concerned about acquaintances offline, simply because I care about people...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How much a person matters to you depends on distance, or attachment. Every person on the planet counts. But because of the way life works, the degree of caring decreases as distance (emotional) increases. Our immediate family, close friends, then acquaintances, etc ... That said, I'm personally not particularly emotionally attached to anyone here, but I work on not being attached to people period. It's fun while it lasts, but we choose sadness if we become overly attached to anyone. I'm not a person who cries at funerals.

Back in my youth, I remember how odd it was to meet a total stranger (hitchhiking) for a few hours, and then when we separated, say, 'See you later," as if somehow that random bond would occur again. It enlightened me as to the folly of seeing the temporal as permanent.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the strongest attachment, I would put this forum at about a 3. A 1 would be somebody off in some foreign land I hardly know exists.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I care enough to try to speak truly. Everyone is important. Though I may never really truly know them. Life matters to me!

I have grown use to some of the commenters on here. I wish them well!

If RF was just an insult pool I would not be here.

Reactions: Jim

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
No one will see your vote. This is a serious question, triggered by a recent discussion. I’m curious now, how much and in what ways people care what happens to other people in the forums. This might help explain some mysteries for me.
Yes, very much. Each individual soul is unique in all of time, and while still in this temporary time of choosing here, could turn to Love and live with me -- me personally and others -- or instead be lost forever in the second death after the accounting that all will come to after this temporary life.

Each here and anywhere that turn to love in repentance I expect to know forever, so of course they each have basically an infinite value.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't wish harm to any here so why wouldn't I care if something bad happened to them. I know people have lives as well as posting here, but often it's difficult to know how people are coping with such.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So you think the actions of others plays an important part of who you are?

I'm afraid I do not understand your question. Could you please elaborate on how the actions of other people could play an important part in who someone is? I mean, in your view, how is that possible?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
No one will see your vote. This is a serious question, triggered by a recent discussion. I’m curious now, how much and in what ways people care what happens to other people in the forums. This might help explain some mysteries for me.
What's the point of religion or the lack thereof if not the golden rule?

MNoBody

what-if-i-08fe9e1fd4.jpg

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Not sure what you mean with the question? You mean what is going on in their live in general? or do you mean the results of them talking to others here, that then might affect their lives in one way or another?
I mean, does it matter to you how people are affected by what happens in the forums?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Some responses look like people saying that they only care about what happens to people they like. I’m wondering if that’s really how they mean it.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ve revised the OP to try to make it more clear what I was asking.

The responses have awakened me to a possibility that I hadn’t considered, which might help explain some misunderstandings about what I was doing in these forums. When I answered the question, the people I was picturing, thinking that I care about what happens to them, were not any people I know. There were no names or avatars associated with them. They were nameless and faceless. Now I see people apparently saying that they only care about what happens to their friends or people they like. I actually had not thought of that possibility. It puts everything in a new light for me, online and offline.

Nimos

I mean, does it matter to you how people are affected by what happens in the forums?
Sure, hopefully everyone that chooses to participate in sharing ideas gets something useful out of it. Whether that is to share knowledge and gain clarification in regarding their current religious views with fellow believers or whether it is to get challenged by those with different views, maybe things they hadn't thought of and so forth. Some might just do it for the social interaction. So hopefully it have a positive impact on people here and we can all learn a bit about different views.

But if you mean in regards to whether someones life gets screwed up or something from being here? I haven't really thought to much about it, I hope not, but on the other side its probably what could be expected, if one chooses to go to a forum with so many different views. :) But in general, I think its positive to have ones beliefs and views questioned (Doesn't necessarily have to be religious), as they might not be as sound as one wished they were. So probably better to get it sorted sooner rather than later, so one does not run around in doubts or believing in lies, because there were things they never thought of. I see, little benefits in that.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I’m thinking that when people seem to be saying that they only care about what happens to their friends or people they like, they might not actually mean it that way. For example, when they hear about a natural disaster or about child abuse, they might actually care a lot about what happens to people they don’t know.

Lots of food for thought for me here.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think of the welfare of posters in general.

Like those who have stopped posting such as... @YmirGF , @zenzero , @Smoke to name a few off the top of my head.

It kind of reminds me of the philosophical saying in anime such as Trigun, where life is essentially just a series of meetings and partings.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Sure, hopefully everyone that chooses to participate in sharing ideas gets something useful out of it. Whether that is to share knowledge and gain clarification in regarding their current religious views with fellow believers or whether it is to get challenged by those with different views, maybe things they hadn't thought of and so forth. Some might just do it for the social interaction. So hopefully it have a positive impact on people here and we can all learn a bit about different views.

But if you mean in regards to whether someones life gets screwed up or something from being here? I haven't really thought to much about it, I hope not, but on the other side its probably what could be expected, if one chooses to go to a forum with so many different views. :) But in general, I think its positive to have ones beliefs and views questioned (Doesn't necessarily have to be religious), as they might not be as sound as one wished they were. So probably better to get it sorted sooner rather than later, so one does not run around in doubts or believing in lies, because there were things they never thought of. I see, little benefits in that.
I’m not thinking of people being adversely affected by views contrary to theirs. I’m thinking of people being adversely affected by insults, personal attacks and stereotyping. Do you think that those things never happen?

Nimos

I’m not thinking of people being adversely affected by views contrary to theirs. I’m thinking of people being adversely affected by insults, personal attacks and stereotyping. Do you think that those things never happen?
Ohh no, that happens a lot :D

But I also think that its important for people to know the difference between personal attacks and simply attacking someones view.

I have some long discussions going on with dear Trailblazer and will often use words like "make no sense", "incompetent" etc. But that is not personal against her, I just really disagree with her views. I don't think insults or personal attacks on anyone is acceptable, but someones views are not holy.

I haven't really experienced a lot of what I would refer to as personal attacks and should they occur, I would probably just ignore them and not spend time on it. These things happens online and should not really be taken all that serious. Think about it, some random person you haven't met, saying something about you, which they know nothing about, why even bother taking that serious :)

So sticking with peoples arguments seems more interesting to me anyway, at least.