• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matter to you what happens to other people in the forums?

Does it matter to you what happens to other people in the forums?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No (explain if you want to)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Jim

Nets of Wonder
No one will see your vote. This is a serious question, triggered by a recent discussion. I’m curious now, how much and in what ways people care about what happens to other people how other people’s lives are affected by what happens in the forums. This might help explain some mysteries for me.

;(edited to add the following)
I would also like to see comments on these questions:

- Do you have any concerns about how other people besides you and your friends or people you like might be suffering, and other adverse effects on their lives, from insults, personal attacks, stereotyping or other things happening in these forums, enough to want to help reduce and counteract those effects? Even if you think the problem is all in them, would you want to help them if you thought you could? This is not about contrary views that people wrongly take as insults and personal attacks. It’s about possible adverse effects on people’s lives of actual, real insults, personal attacks stereotyping and other things happening in these forums.

- Sometimes I try to give some friendly attention to people when they might be adversely affected by insults, personal attacks and stereotyping in the forums. What do you think about that idea, as a way of helping to reduce and counteract those effects? Have you tried any other ways?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No one will see your vote. This is a serious question, triggered by a recent discussion. I’m curious now, how much and in what ways people care what happens to other people in the forums. This might help explain some mysteries for me.

It depends on the person's personality and involvement. I've seen birthday parties and genuine concern for the absent of some members all of the sudden. I've noticed others who left for one reason or another badly, I'll say, are never asked about. So, I guess it depends.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No one will see your vote. This is a serious question, triggered by a recent discussion. I’m curious now, how much and in what ways people care what happens to other people in the forums. This might help explain some mysteries for me.
Your OP is a result i think, of something I said in another OP :) That is not a problem for me @Jim, I don't have a problem with your exploring this question, and you were right to ask me about it too since my answer could be seen as if I did not care, But to answer you again here, I do have compassion toward each one of the members here, even when someone says something that stings, I may not handle it well at the moment, but when I get some time to think I see I was my own worsed enemy in that discussion that leads toward me getting frustrated or angry. But yes i do care.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How would the happenstance of anyone you can't see affect your life?

Whether I care for someone quite often has very little to do with whether they affect my life in any notable or remarkable way. I do not need for someone to be my benefactor for me to like or care about them.

Beyond that, lots of people have enriched my life with their acts of kindness and humanity to each other (if not always to me), their humor, their enthusiasm, their love, etc. To me, a large measure of the value and worth of living is made up of "small moments of beauty" -- which include such "little" things as seeing a couple of strangers be kind to each other -- or even just reading someone's true and insightful comment about something.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Forum "relationships" can't be the same as the physical world (although of course forum members may meet up and...end up married or living together). But with that proviso yes people on forums can become friends and so care about each other to a greater or lesser extent. It can be sad when, for whatever reason, an online friendship ends unexpectedly, or else just gets lost in the ether.

A Vestigial Mote

What literally "happens" to people in their lives outside of these forums, yes. What happens within the forums "to" people here in the forums? I have to say, "not much."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, I do care, although I also believe caring for some more than for some others is quite natural.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I care how other people are affected by what happens in the forums. What I do about that is try to give some friendly attention to people when I think they might be adversely affected by what’s happening. I do that sometimes with people I don’t like, but maybe not as much as with people I like.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Certainly some matter, i consider some posters a friend and feel for them

If one who matters to me drops off the forum i need to know what's happened. Could be simply fed up with it and need a break but it could be something far more serious.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Chose other
Depends on the people and our engagements and if we have no engagements then I believe they are being truthful. There is very little personal interactions with us in the RF and the internet is full of people pretending to be something they are not.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Whether I care for someone quite often has very little to do with whether they affect my life in any notable or remarkable way. I do not need for someone to be my benefactor for me to like or care about them.

Beyond that, lots of people have enriched my life with their acts of kindness and humanity to each other (if not always to me), their humor, their enthusiasm, their love, etc. To me, a large measure of the value and worth of living is made up of "small moments of beauty" -- which include such "little" things as seeing a couple of strangers be kind to each other -- or even just reading someone's true and insightful comment about something.

So you think the actions of others plays an important part of who you are?

Nimos

Not sure what you mean with the question? You mean what is going on in their live in general? or do you mean the results of them talking to others here, that then might affect their lives in one way or another?