• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Love Humans

Hawkins

Did I create the apples in this analogy?

I appreciate the cander.

Well, you can create a painting yourself which you like then allow others with freewill to screw it up then ask yourself again if you like it!

That said, each analogy is to illustrate a point. An analogy doesn't need to be an exact of what the reality is as long as it illustrates the point good enough.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well, you can create a painting yourself which you like then allow others with freewill to screw it up then ask yourself again if you like it!

That said, each analogy is to illustrate a point. An analogy doesn't need to be an exact of what the reality is as long as it illustrates the point good enough.
So god created the apple and the worm, so if he gets mad that the apple rots, that would be kind of weird.

I know what your getting at though. Are you trying to say humans messed up Gods creation justifying any wrath that God wants to inflict on a corrupted creation? Is this out of love or hate or both? Didn't god also create everything that has a potential to corrupt?

Vee

Premium Member
Does God love humans or has it grown into hate or anger towards humans?

When we look at the world around us, does it give you feelings that, if there is a God, that it's rather apathetic to the human plight or God is loving and benevolent? Perhaps God is just so perfect and all knowing that it just considers human suffering insignificant.

My take is God is within all, and as such, is right here with us, suffering as humans do, loving as humans do, and anger too. The reason it seems this way is because humans make it so, we all have the power to do great harm or good.

"Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required." Luke 12:48

Maybe you think it is all just wishful thinking, that we are just animals with overactive imaginations projecting feelings into the unknown?

What's the verdict?

Do humans love God?
Do humans love themselves and each other?

Akivah

From my POV, G-d is unchanging. And outside of time, since G-d created time. G-d knows all of what we humans consider past, present, and future. Thus G-d's 'thoughts' on humans are unchanged.

When we look at the world around us, does it give you feelings that, if there is a God, that it's rather apathetic to the human plight or God is loving and benevolent?
G-d cares about us and He lets us use our own freewill to make the right choices. G-d always acts in our best interests despite our incomprehension about how things are.

Akivah

Or just be good for goodness sake. Those with no gods can simply choose to be the best people they can be without having to choose to recognize any gods. You might be a better person for it than the one doing it for a reward from this spirit or to escape its punishment. Altruistic inclinations become habits of thought when they are continually reinforced, as do self-serving motives.

That echos Jewish thought on the matter. We are taught that we should do good deeds not in expectation of reward, but simply because they are good. And the more good deeds one does, the easier it becomes to do more of them.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

When we look at the world around us, does it give you feelings that, if there is a God, that it's rather apathetic to the human plight or God is loving and benevolent? Perhaps God is just so perfect and all knowing that it just considers human suffering insignificant.

My take is God is within all, and as such, is right here with us, suffering as humans do, loving as humans do, and anger too. The reason it seems this way is because humans make it so, we all have the power to do great harm or good.

Maybe you think it is all just wishful thinking, that we are just animals with overactive imaginations projecting feelings into the unknown?

What's the verdict?
Actually the question should be, how come God still loves humans? Just last month, a major portion of the country was trying to take away healthcare from millions of people in order to give tax cuts to rich. The same people want to cut food subsidies for the poor, throw millions more into jail and throw millions of people out of the country and shut the door on refugees while the rest of the world struggles to taking care of them. Their next plan is to cut down on disability insurance to fund a tax cut.

What can possibly be lovable about such people?

Texas is one of the richest states in the union, but also the worst place for poor people - it has one of highest infant mortality, highest rates of deaths of pregnant women during birth, worst place for worker rights and for rights of immigrants.

In spite of all this, I believe God still loves us. He will take care of our suffering, if we only recognized the suffering of others as well as the earth and the environment.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Actually the question should be, how come God still loves humans?
That really is a good thought provoking question. Often times when pondering the question about love of God I feel satisfied that love is still there so long as we are still standing and we still exist. Does God grow in frustration or would it be more like a bi-polar melt down, God would be happy up to a certain hour then all of sudden someone defiles his cheerios and he just becomes a wrathful angry thing we never knew could exist? I would think if God wanted to be wrathful that he would have the power to be very selective about it and not destroy all the good with the bad.

PureX

Veteran Member
Here's where it's so much easier to be a faith based thinker. You get to make pronouncements like that as if they are fact. Look at this thread and the one on whether god has a sense of humor. No two believers seem to agree, but all are so sure, expressing whatever it is that they prefer to be the case as if it were.
Why do you assume that we should all agree? About anything? And anyway, it makes no difference. We have all experienced the healing power of love and forgiveness, kindness and generosity. It doesn't matter whether or not we agree on how to characterize it.
Here's where you lose me again. I don't need healing or saving from myself. Heal what? As I've told you before, I'm happy.
It's not a question of your being happy.

You never harm others through your selfishness and indifference? Or through anger, arrogance, or ignorance? Not even accidentally? Pardon me if I find this very hard to believe. What about their happiness? What responsibility do you have to them?

And you're not participating in the abuse and desecration of the physical world through selfishness, arrogance, ignorance, and indifference? I also find this very hard to believe. The world is full of people who pretend that nothing is ever their fault, or their doing. And yet the damage continues. Someone is clearly lying to themselves.
What do these ideas have to offer somebody that is content with how life has proceeded without them?
Enlightenment. Revelation. Reality. Self-awareness. A higher calling.

Bird123

What's the verdict?

As I see it, God loves everyone Unconditionally. People sometimes choose hard lessons for themselves. Isn't it really Love to show people what their choices really mean? There is more to the view than the mere surface. This world is a Masterpiece.

idav

Being
Premium Member
From my POV, G-d is unchanging. And outside of time, since G-d created time. G-d knows all of what we humans consider past, present, and future. Thus G-d's 'thoughts' on humans are unchanged.

G-d cares about us and He lets us use our own freewill to make the right choices. G-d always acts in our best interests despite our incomprehension about how things are.
All that makes a lot of sense to me.
I hope so.
Me to.
God loves all things even evil.
Now there is a tolerant God. If God makes the stuff it kind of looks odd that he might want to turn around and drown the thing out of existence.
As I see it, God loves everyone Unconditionally. People sometimes choose hard lessons for themselves. Isn't it really Love to show people what their choices really mean? There is more to the view than the mere surface. This world is a Masterpiece.
I like this unconditional view because it sort of solves any issue people might have with the problem of evil. The way I figure is a creation would be like a baby to God and once having several children, there would be no way of being able to choose one of them over the other, regardless of the harm they may cause each other. With that in mind God would blame the harm they cause each other on them, as God would be allowing the creations he loves, to strive for whatever they want and need. Only in the case of unconditional love can that be truly realized. Being God, he would also know that all it's creations are ultimately safe outside of their perceived view of things and at a higher level suffering is illusory.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You never harm others through your selfishness and indifference? Or through anger, arrogance, or ignorance? Not even accidentally? Pardon me if I find this very hard to believe. What about their happiness? What responsibility do you have to them?

And you're not participating in the abuse and desecration of the physical world through selfishness, arrogance, ignorance, and indifference? I also find this very hard to believe. The world is full of people who pretend that nothing is ever their fault, or their doing. And yet the damage continues. Someone is clearly lying to themselves.

I told you that I am content.

No, I do not harm others in any way. Au contraire. I have no enemies or detractors, and am very involved socially. Why would you assume otherwise?

And I do not desecrate the physical world. What is your carbon footprint? We have more solar panels on our roof than we need, and not only is all of our electric unrelated to greenhouse gases, 3/4 of our former propane need is met by a solar water heat next to the panels. We send green power to the utility to give to others, reducing their use of fossil fuels electrifying the region.

You simply keep insisting that I am defective and need help from a spirit. You refer to arrogance, perhaps because I told you that I don't need religion to feel complete, to have a sense of purpose in my life, or to discern right from wrong.

Regarding inadvertently harming others, how would any irrational belief positively impact that? What does your religion teach you to help you not inadvertently harm others?

You assume so much about what others need and what your advice can do for them - advice that implies that you think that all people are defective and want and need that advice. That idea that many Christians espouse that we are all broken sinners in need of salvation for some imagined moral crime is not one that resonates with me.

Sorry, but I am at peace with my surroundings and with myself. Do you really assume that that is impossible? It's not.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So you have no religion but you think Bird123 should follow Christian doctrine, what gives????? And which particular type of Christian doctrine would that be that you are espousing??

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

What's the verdict?

Your premise is based on a liberal worldview, where everything is decided by groups or as a whole. You come off that a bit in the text, but I'm here to say, first off that we're damned or saved completely on an individual basis. And further, if there is a Hereafter, we will be our own judges firmly
ensconced in the judgement seat, bathed in the undeniable Light of Truth.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I see it, God loves everyone Unconditionally.

So then you disagree with Christian doctrine? The god of the Christian Bible has conditions for loving human beings. He needs their worship and obedience, without which one incurs His wrath.

So you have no religion but you think Bird123 should follow Christian doctrine

No. I don't know why you would think that. I prefer Bird's take on things over Christian doctrine.

I was just surprised to see it. Somewhere, I had gotten the impression that he was Christian, but apparently not. If he is Christian, I'd say he's misdescribing the Christian god.

And which particular type of Christian doctrine would that be that you are espousing??

I'm not espousing any Christian doctrine. I am referring to the idea that the Christian god judges us after death and casts those not meeting his conditions for salvation into fire to suffer gratuitously for eternity to the benefit of nobody. I hope I don't have to explain why that's not love much less unconditional love.