1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Does God have a proper name? What for?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by firedragon, Apr 14, 2021.

1. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Of course not. Since its not a language you would know, although you spoke of all the religions as if your studies have encompassed all the religions.

Dont make rhetorical claims. I know this, I know that are just claims without substantiation.

Please substantiate your claim. Here you go once again since you ignored it the second time. "So can you based on this substantiate your statement "The facts are simply that the names of God in all the different religions reflect the human cultural and linguistic perspective of names of God." Be specific.

It means he exists. Go and do all your research in the world just to defy this statement but it would always be "YHWH means he exists".

2. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Nope. Thats not an argument from ignorance. It was a question asked since you said "All". All means all. Which shows that you have not made your research to make that statement but you just made a general statement without that due diligence. It is not intellectual honesty to now not accept that.

Just for your information, Devi is a word for God. Devian is a pluralis majestatis. Plural of God. Wahansa is a word that can be translated as Lord or lordship. When someone says "Un Wahansa" it means "his lordship". Devian is used for God, Un Wahansa is used for God, Devian Wahansa is used for God. All of them in one language, Pali, and its derivative languages, and even Christians use the same words to refer to the Christian God, while Muslims use the same word to refer to the Islamic God, and many other religions use these words to refer to their own respective religions.

The Arabic word Allah is a generic word for God, and it means God. It is similar to Elohim which is a generic word, but not the same. Allah means "The God", while Elohim means "Powers" or plural of Might and more often than not used in the plural form just like the Asians who use it in the pluralis majestatis form, as common as can be. But Allah is just a word for "The God". Is that a cultural thing? Is that a name for their respective religion? No. Christians, before Muhammed referred to themselves as Abdullah as in Servant of God.

3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,287
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    You are 'arguing from ignorance' not me, because you are arguing, because ALL is not known my statement is false. That is the definition of 'arguing from ignorance' in a dialogue or argument.I qualified my response and you DID NOT acknowledge my clarification. In fact your response here justifies my conclusion.

4. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Alright. So please show your research that you did. Quote me the data.

Thanks.

5. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,448
    Sounds to me as if you are saying if 'God or Lord' is capitalized that indicates a proper name.
    I find there are two (2) LORD/Lord's at Psalms 110.
    KJV makes a distinction by putting one LORD in ALL capital letters.
    Just by saying and hearing the word Lord who would know which LORD/Lord _______
    Where the Tetragrammaton stands is where KJV decided to use ALL capitals.
    No Tetragrammaton, then using the title Lord with some lower-case letters.

6. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,287
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Google search yourself. Every religion known is on internet sources.

Let's back up again to the original question. You brought up many of the descriptions and names of God used in different religions. OK. The question was 'Is there a 'proper name' for God? Out of the thousands of different names and descriptions of God in the different religions what could be the 'proper name' for God be?

#106 shunyadragon, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +66,160
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I use secular conventions.

8. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,517
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Also since the Hebrew term for both “breath” and “spirit” is ruach. God is breath, just as God is Spirit.

9. Jedster

Jedster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,201
    You may also find it interesting that the word used for breath in Hebrew is Neshima (נשימה) and for soul is Neshima(נשמה)(meaning the divine spark within us)

10. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    So it was just arbitrary statements! You have no clue.

11. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Would God need one?

12. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,287
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No

13. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,287
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No it is based on the facts anyone including you can find on the internet. I do not spoon feed what you can find yourself.

14. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    When people dont have their research, they do resort to this "I am not gonna spoon-feed, do your googling" back up.

Thanks.

15. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Lets see if your love for rhetorical responses work. Your same sentences right back at you would work too.

Why are you getting into this childish up and down? If you have not done any research, just say you have no clue.

1. Make a claim with no data or research
    2. When asked for the information you say "go google".
    3. Then of course, some ad hominem, an insult, call them names, mental, something that makes you feel superior since have no character whatsoever.

Pathetic. I can't believe really that grown up people can be like this. Of course, your next response will be again "go google".

#115 firedragon, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
  16. cataway

cataway Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    jw עדי יהווה
    i do hope you' do practice what you preach. all to often i see people with set ideas which belie scripture. it sometimes easy to see why they come up with the miss-understandings they have. they have not read enough of the bible to get a clear and correct understanding

17. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,287
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Why are you getting into this childish up and down? If you have not done any research, just say you have no clue.

Pathetic. I can't believe really that grown up people can be like this.

18. firedragon

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Religion:
    Islam
    Excellent. Thank you so much.

19. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,448
    Very interesting I find because when Adam become a living soul he had the divine spark (of life) within him (Gen2:7).
    At death that ' spark ' that ' breath ' went out just like a burned-out light bulb goes out. No more life in it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,448
    According to what I find in Scripture God needs a name because how else would Jesus manifest God's name as Jesus said at John 17:6; John 17:26.
    God's name was also important to Jesus that his God's name be hallowed, made/held sacred, holy, sanctified.
    Clergy often try to hide God's name (Tetragrammaton YHWH) in order to promote their own ideas over Scripture.

• Like Like x 1