• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God forgive???

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I was brought up to believe that God is bound by His perfect nature to be offended at sin. If you were raised to believe in God similarly, I suggest to you that you should think of all of the people you've known here on earth whose nature is to become offended easily.

If these beings are anywhere near perfect, would it not stand to reason that God must be the ultimate self-righteous hypocrite?
I don't think this is the nature of God. I don't believe that god is hypocrite. God defined by you looks like an angry person :D .

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you believe that God forgive your sins. Why and why not???
I don't believe in sin, therefore it is irrelevant to me what any alleged "god" would be inclined to do.

In my opinion, any being who sits in judgment on the daily activities of a member of the human race, is unworthy of being called a "god". Micro-manager, perhaps, but "god", not so much. Given the enormity of the universe, one would assume that such an exalted being would have far more interesting things to attend to than grade the performance of some amusing, but wholly insignificant, minor creations.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
I don't think this is the nature of God. I don't believe that god is hypocrite. God defined by you looks like an angry person :D .

I'm pretty sure I didn't give my definition there. What I gave was the implication following an absurd belief, the absurd belief being that God must be offended and/or must punish in cases of wrongdoing.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I'm pretty sure I didn't give my definition there. What I gave was the implication following an absurd belief, the absurd belief being that God must be offended and/or must punish in cases of wrongdoing.
I partially agree with you.
:D

starlite

Texasgirl
So acc to your concept people are free to crime because Jesus paid for their sins.:D

I believe you missed the point of his post....you can not continue in the same sin and be automatically forgiven....study what true repentance means...certain conditions must be met in order to be forgiven

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Divine justice is based on God's laws and principles....
Yes it is. :)

I believe you missed the point of his post....you can not continue in the same sin and be automatically forgiven....study what true repentance means...certain conditions must be met in order to be forgiven
My that comment was replay of the following comment---
Creator God forgives sins because the requirements of justice have been met through the payment for all sin by Jesus Christ. This payment is applied to the lives of all who believe God's way of forgiveness, repent and turn from their life of sin to a new life in Christ the Savior.
Can you explain this comment please. And also those conditions which must be met in order to be forgiven???

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well you only answered first part of question the second part is why??? :D

why does he forgive sins?

Because sin is not something we chose... rather we were born with it. Just as a person can inherit a genetic disease, we can inherit sinful traits & attitudes from our parents.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Won't you share with me where we disagree so that I may have an opportunity to fully win your agreement? :)
I believe that god does not feel offended even if we disrespect god. Neither it punish us if we disrespect it. But if we do something bad of evil due to which others suffers than god punish us in order to provide justice to those. However I neither believe in heaven nor in hell.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
why does he forgive sins?

Because sin is not something we chose... rather we were born with it. Just as a person can inherit a genetic disease, we can inherit sinful traits & attitudes from our parents.

Can you please read the post and comments. Here by sin I don't mean anything that we inherit but I mean here by sin is the bad or evil actions performed by humans.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I believe that god does not feel offended even if we disrespect god. Neither it punish us if we disrespect it. But if we do something bad of evil due to which others suffers than god punish us in order to provide justice to those. However I neither believe in heaven nor in hell.
Both the reality of heaven and hell, God's anger when he is acted against and his anger when we offend each other is found in the same book of books that 99% of people get the concept of God from. I do not see how the acceptance of God and the dismissal of concepts associated with him in every major religion is justifiable. Heaven and hell are an intuitive almost instict most people believe in regardless of faith. Ultimate accountability is almost an instict. Even animals feel shame.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Both the reality of heaven and hell, God's anger when he is acted against and his anger when we offend each other is found in the same book of books that 99% of people get the concept of God from. I do not see how the acceptance of God and the dismissal of concepts associated with him in every major religion is justifiable. Heaven and hell are an intuitive almost instict most people believe in regardless of faith. Ultimate accountability is almost an instict. Even animals feel shame.

So can you explain these concepts and how long we live in those heaven or hell???

Kemble

I always love Dan Barker's take on it:

"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being. "

- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist

Or as Edward T. Babinski put it:

"Any infinite Being who feels it is their duty to torture me for eternity, should switch to decaf."

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I always love Dan Barker's take on it:

"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being. "

- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist

Or as Edward T. Babinski put it:

"Any infinite Being who feels it is their duty to torture me for eternity, should switch to decaf."

No reason to get overly dramatic, the churches generally believe in purgatory and a "lesser" hell to some extent.

GlenS

Yes, God does forgive our sins. But, the only way to the Father is via the Son. My last thoughts every night is God please forgive me in the name of your Son Jesus Christ. And He does forgive us because He said He does.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
^ Eh, church doctrine seems to teach that we can't assume forgiveness, that's they said in another thread, at least.......................I'm not saying I agree with that doctrine, but it is a factor in the argument

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Yes, God does forgive our sins. But, the only way to the Father is via the Son. My last thoughts every night is God please forgive me in the name of your Son Jesus Christ. And He does forgive us because He said He does.
But the only way via the son?????
What about those who were born before jesus??