• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God forgive soldiers?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
The fact I was necessarily referring to is the one that is being continuously ignored. "Thou shall not kill" is *NOT* in the original text. Atheists ignore this when it comes to such topics.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I did answer the question! Example Al Quaida knows they are wrong when they are killing POWs on a camera. Sure there may be some that are so brain washed they don't know what is right anymore but I'm sure for the most part they do know that what they are doing is wrong.

The less humane people are and the more evil they are in their cause in the war the less righteous the war. It's really simple.
Now you are merely making unsubstantiated appeal to emotion claims to support your claim.

needless to say, I am not convinced.

McBell

Thanks for mocking me. It's not fault you can't grasp a simple concept.
Mocking you?
Are you now going to claim that there was not even one person on the "bad" side of each war who did not honestly believe that they were on the sanctioned by god righteous side?

As far as understanding your over simplified black/white concept, yes I understand it.
I just happen to find it inconsistent with reality.

Now perhaps we can get you to put your ego away and stop trying to play the martyr?

McBell

He's right! Religions need to acknowledge THAT simple concept. Anyone can say "God is with me."
And the fact is they do.
Furthermore, many, if not most of them, honestly believe that god is on their side.
Yet some people would rather toss out reality and replace it with their own "truths" and then try to claim martyr when it is pointed out.

McBell

The fact I was necessarily referring to is the one that is being continuously ignored. "Thou shall not kill" is *NOT* in the original text. Atheists ignore this when it comes to such topics.
I tell you what...
Once you get all those who believe the Bible is the word of God to agree on what that verse was supposed to actually say...

I suspect that herding a million cats across the state of Texas would be an easier endeavor.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
and you know this mystical "original text" why? because you are all knowning or because you choose to make God in your image? you could be wrong and you know it. killing is WRONG, and if you don't think so you have loose morals and an evil heart.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
Mocking you?
Are you now going to claim that there was not even one person on the "bad" side of each war who did not honestly believe that they were on the sanctioned by god righteous side?

As far as understanding your over simplified black/white concept, yes I understand it.
I just happen to find it inconsistent with reality.

Now perhaps we can get you to put your ego away and stop trying to play the martyr?

Of course there is always going to be a few bad apples or a few immoral men on a good side of a war. It is an individual thing but there are some wars that are fought for righteous reasons. Such as defending the world from Nazi's and Al Quaida.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought the topic was " Does God forgive soldiers?", not "should we?"
How can you forgive someone unless you've judged them and decided they need forgiveness?

IMO, if you want to know if God forgives soldiers you'd have to ask God. If you want to know if a soldier needs to be forgiven, you'd have to ask a soldier. Other than that, it really isn't anybody's business.

Reactions: kai

waitasec

Veteran Member

thats interesting...
can you support this claim?

kai

ragamuffin
I thought the topic was " Does God forgive soldiers?", not "should we?"
How can you forgive someone unless you've judged them and decided they need forgiveness?

IMO, if you want to know if God forgives soldiers you'd have to ask God. If you want to know if a soldier needs to be forgiven, you'd have to ask a soldier. Other than that, it really isn't anybody's business.

i agree here

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
thats interesting...
can you support this claim?
You've got a computer in front of you. Just google Thou shalt not kill. translation controversy, or something like that.
Scholars today generally agree that the passage doesn't refer to the sort of killing done in a "just war."

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
killing is WRONG, and if you don't think so you have loose morals and an evil heart.

I have but one question Luminous, do you have children? I don't believe protecting little ones is evil or immoral. In fact, I believe the exact opposite would apply to a self righteous spineless person who put their convictions ahead of their responsibility to protect their family if there was a threat.