• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God forgive soldiers?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Their job is to kill whomever they're told to and destroy their property, and they attract more danger than they avert.
They abdicate moral responsibility for their acts. For them the only sin is failure to obey orders.
Such a mindset is hard to forgive.

Man of Faith

There is nothing to forgive because it isn't murder, it is self defence in most cases. However if a soldier kills on his own out of hate, when it wasn't his job then that needs forgiveness.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
There is nothing to forgive because it isn't murder, it is self defence in most cases. However if a soldier kills on his own out of hate, when it wasn't his job then that needs forgiveness.

Killing is killing. I suspect the distinction between murder and 'collateral damage' is wasted on corpses.

That said I don't hold the trigger pullers as ultimately responsible. I hold their masters responsible.

And even they should be forgiven.

Axel

But we have a choice to do what we believe is the right thing

Isn't following orders an excuse?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Does God forgive soldiers? They are simply doing their job in order to protect us.

They would be forgiven. See the example of Peter who cut off the ear of a slave in an attempt to protect Jesus. He was forgiven for that and even denying his own lord 3 times.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

We have a choice but situations are powerful.

Following orders is no excuse. Didn't work for Eichmann and it shouldn't work for anyone else.

Man of Faith

But isn't killing - killing?

A soldier goes to war knowing he/she can/could/will take a life

Killing isn't killing, there is a time to kill. If someone is about to stab your family to death and you have a gun, are you gong to say that killing the perp is the same as killing a nun walking to church?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They would be forgiven. See the example of Peter who cut off the ear of a slave in an attempt to protect Jesus. He was forgiven for that and even denying his own lord 3 times.

Luke 22:36-38:

36And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

37"For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, '(AL)AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS'; for (AM)that which refers to Me has its fulfillment."

38They said, "Lord, look, here are two (AN)swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
But isn't killing - killing?
Are you asking if every death is the same?
I would say that no, it isn't.

A soldier goes to war knowing he/she can/could/will take a life
Yes, and?
Now if you are the type that beleives all killing is wrong, then you ahve no business being a soldier.

Killing is killing. I suspect the distinction between murder and 'collateral damage' is wasted on corpses.
I disagree.
There are all manner of distinctions of killing.

That said I don't hold the trigger pullers as ultimately responsible.
Why not?
The person who takes an action is responsible for said action.

I hold their masters responsible.
Ah, so it is the fault of McDonald's that people who eat at McDonald's are fat?

And even they should be forgiven.
That is very nice of you.

Yes.
However, there is no guarantee that there will be no consequences for the choices you make.

Yes.
Just ask those who were still prosecuted for the role in the Abu Garcia affair who though that because they were "following orders" they would be free from prosecution.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
So people are not individually responsible for their actions?

They are of course responsible. But focus on individuals lets those higher up off the hook.
For example it is right that Fredrickson, English et al. were prosecuted for what happened in Abu Ghraib. But I think that their superiors are ultimately responsibile and focus on these individuals has left their superiors off the hook.