• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism provide peace of mind to its adherents?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Aetheist if it means to reject exclusiveness is far better and healthy than religionists preaching harmful ideas of superiority. If you believe in humanity & equality of all people you are way ahead of fanatics who blow up people. I believe in all religions and all humanity but reject violence in religion as evil and destructive.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Does Atheism provide peace of mind to its adherents?

Nobody could quote a claim from Atheism to start with that provide peace of mind to its adherents. Did one? Please
It is only Quran/Islam that provides both claims and reasons/brilliant-signs on every important issues to relating ethical,moral and spiritual issues of human life.
So all Muslims have peace of mind? No frustration? No anxiety? No hatred? No wants to act violently? They're all peaceful and love all people and want them no evil? Sounds like denial to me because there are some (not all of them, but few) that do.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If yes kindly provide both the claim from Atheism in this connection and the evidence that it instils peace in a person.
If it does not have a claim and or evidence then it is a failed world-view for humans . Please
Regards

I haven't read the thread, so apologies if this has been covered but...
No. Atheism doesn't provide me peace of mind. On the plus side, though, it also doesn't provide me cognitive dissonance.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some religions teachs good moral values , for exemple : Don't steal, don't abuse, don't lie, don't do any bad thing to others, help the others , help poor people , visit your family ...etc

How Athiests deal with good and bad deeds toward the others ?

Just change your post to read 'some religions and philosophies teach good moral values' and away you go. In truth, I got most of my morals from my mum. She is Christian, I'm not, but morally we tend to make the same choices in most circumstances and are ridiculously 'straight. Guess what my girls are taught as 'good morals'?

cambridge79

So all Muslims have peace of mind? No frustration? No anxiety? No hatred? No wants to act violently? They're all peaceful and love all people and want them no evil? Sounds like denial to me because there are some (not all of them, but few) that do.
i just spoke to a muslim who admitted me he won't speak his heart because he is afraid that if he does than god will put him to test to see if he is sincere.
i don't call it "peace of mind" i call it "living under a dictatorship".

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
i just spoke to a muslim who admitted me he won't speak his heart because he is afraid that if he does than god will put him to test to see if he is sincere.
i don't call it "peace of mind" i call it "living under a dictatorship".
Also, the Bible says that you shall fear God. That's not having peace either. The only religion that I suspect promotes inner peacefulness is Buddhism, and in particular the kind that's atheistic.

Corthos

Great Old One
Jainism and, I suspect, Sikhism are likely to do so as well. As is Judaism, when carefully practiced.

From what I've read up on, so does Gathic Zoroastrianism. It is similar in a lot of ways to Buddhism, I've noticed, but I'd like to learn more about Buddhism first before I can draw those kind of conclusions with certainty. =)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
From what I've read up on, so does Gathic Zoroastrianism. It is similar in a lot of ways to Buddhism, I've noticed, but I'd like to learn more about Buddhism first before I can draw those kind of conclusions with certainty. =)
There's a huge difference, though. Zoroastrianism is a monotheistic religion, Buddhism is not. Ahura Mazda.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is it a huge difference? People do not have to lend a lot of significance and meaning to their god-beliefs.

Christianity and particularly Islam usually do, but that is not inherent to the idea of monotheism.

Sight unseen, I would not assume any monotheism to be remarkably different from its non-monotheistic counterparts.

Corthos

Great Old One
There's a huge difference, though. Zoroastrianism is a monotheistic religion, Buddhism is not. Ahura Mazda.

Very true. =) Keep in mind, however, that the Gathic Zoroastrian concept of the divine is more naturalistic, rather than a guy who sits on a throne in the sky. That said, not all Zoroastrians feel this way; Gathic Zoroastrianism isn't recognized by traditional Parsis

In terms of philosophies, though, is where I see the similarities, or at least in conversations I have had with people who have expressed their Buddhist views. I realize that isn't solid proof, however, which is why I will look into Buddhism in the future... There are a lot of aspects about it that I respect, and I see truths in there. =)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If yes kindly provide both the claim from Atheism in this connection and the evidence that it instils peace in a person.
If it does not have a claim and or evidence then it is a failed world-view for humans . Please
Regards

There are atheists who find no peace of mind and others who do. For instance, B. Russell had an existential crisis when he realized the ultimate pointlessness of the Universe and our conquers. Our highest achievements will be forever lost when the universe decays in a cloud of boring gas. It will be like nothing ever happened.

I don't see it this way. My newly acquired nihilism gives me actually a warm and cozy feeling, for some reason I cannot explain.

I also agree with Dawkins when he says that the fact that we will soon meet our final annihilation makes us the lucky ones. At least we lived, which seems, prima facie, better than not having lived at all. I am not sure it is a rational argument, but it sounds good.

So, it depends. But I agree that is not everybody's cup of tea.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Some religions teachs good moral values , for exemple : Don't steal, don't abuse, don't lie, don't do any bad thing to others, help the others , help poor people , visit your family ...etc

How Athiests deal with good and bad deeds toward the others ?

Do you think you will start to do horrible things if you lose your faith tomorrow?

If yes, then keep believing. Please. :)

Ciao

- viole

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Jainism and, I suspect, Sikhism are likely to do so as well. As is Judaism, when carefully practiced.
Probably any religion could do, including Islam, but it all depends on the practitioners and their attitudes. Is their goal to find peace of mind or are they after some power trip rooted in insecurity and fears? It all starts with the heart.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
One of the highest and noblest forms of love and expressing our love and belief in a God is enshrined in this saying.
"The best way to thank God is to love each other". God created man, so to love man is to love God. Loving a statue of a Book is not as noble as loving another human being. But today people often love an idea or a belief more than they love each other so in reality they worship not God but themselves. That's why we see so much killing in the name of God because it is not God being worshipped but an idea.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
One of the highest and noblest forms of love and expressing our love and belief in a God is enshrined in this saying.
"The best way to thank God is to love each other". God created man, so to love man is to love God. Loving a statue of a Book is not as noble as loving another human being. But today people often love an idea or a belief more than they love each other so in reality they worship not God but themselves. That's why we see so much killing in the name of God because it is not God being worshipped but an idea.
I like that view and agree with it.

But, the only thing I would like to add is that love doesn't necessarily give peace. Love can be frustrating and even upsetting. Perhaps only certain kinds of love gives peace?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Unconditional,love of all humanity regardless of race, colour, religion or no religion, class or nationality does bring so much peace & joy because you expect nothing in return. The love which is conditional where one expects something in return is the one that brings misery and unhappiness often because it is centred on the self. Another saying helps explain this.
"Self mastery is self forgetfulness". So I love you and praise you and that makes me so happy. But if I expect something in return for that love and I don't receive it then is the time we get disappointed. Love all humanity "unconditionally" then you can have peace. Many religionist love only to convert which is insincere. We must love all with no hope of reward or benefit.