• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism provide peace of mind to its adherents?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If yes kindly provide both the claim from Atheism in this connection and the evidence that it instils peace in a person.
If it does not have a claim and or evidence then it is a failed world-view for humans . Please
Regards

Laika

Premium Member
Atheism is not a worldview. it can however be part of many world views, but is not one in itself. the "bigger" picture of how man defines his relationship with the universe generally determines whether such a belief system can provide peace of mind. a world without god is not necessarily bad, but it isn't necessarily good either. "it depends".

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Some religions teachs good moral values , for exemple : Don't steal, don't abuse, don't lie, don't do any bad thing to others, help the others , help poor people , visit your family ...etc

How Athiests deal with good and bad deeds toward the others ?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Some religions teachs good moral values , for exemple : Don't steal, don't abuse, don't lie, don't do any bad thing to others, help the others , help poor people , visit your family ...etc

It's called reason and compassion, which are innate parts of our humanity. You don't need external forces from beyond in order to use your brain or your 'heart'.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If yes kindly provide both the claim from Atheism in this connection and the evidence that it instils peace in a person.
If it does not have a claim and or evidence then it is a failed world-view for humans . Please
Regards
What exactly do you think atheism is?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Regards

Anyone know what this particular logical fallacy is called?

Buttercup

Veteran Member

We're taught the exact same things. These morals have nothing to do with religion, they come from our conscious.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Regards
Are you saying that we are lying?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Pretty much like anyone else, except that we usually don't even use a concept of God.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Regards

I try to do the right thing, because it's the right thing, NOT because if I don't, some capricious god will punish me. I don't want to die, life is too much fun, but knowing that this is my one shot helps me appreciate every day.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Just like theists.

Except atheists aren't doing good things to score brownie points with god or because they fear burning for all eternity for doing bad things.

Erebus

How does one provide evidence for having personal peace?

You know, I was wondering the same thing.

I know a few atheists who've told me that not believing in any gods brings them peace of mind. For some it's because they consider atheism to be their natural position, so to go against it wouldn't be being true to themselves. For others it's because the gods some theists believe in are frankly terrifying.

I see no reason to question their sincerity.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I know a few atheists who've told me that not believing in any gods brings them peace of mind. For some it's because they consider atheism to be their natural position, so to go against it wouldn't be being true to themselves. For others it's because the gods some theists believe in are frankly terrifying.

I see no reason to question their sincerity.
I was a Christian for a very long time. I have far more peace now that I've let go of the Abrahamic God than I ever did as a believer.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Regards

I find great solace in the idea that there is no carrot and stick of heaven and hell to try and keep me in line. And great comfort in the idea that there is no Big Brother watching me.

Plus church songs are really formulaic and cruddily written. So it's definitely a bonus that I never have to sit through those.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Regards

. How is peace of mind even associated with Athiesm?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

Atheism is not a religion or worldview to which acts as a religion for a person. Everyone was born without belief in god/s (atheist) and would still be atheist unless influenced or taught otherwise. There would be no thing such as atheism if theism didnt exist. Since it does, of course theres an opposite.

Im an atheist. It doesnt make me sad or happy. Its just an opinion that god/s do not exist. There is no rituals, no prayers, etc in relation to belief in no deity.

Its an opinion/statement/claim not a worldview or religion.