• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anyone Know where Hell is located?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Hel the female deity rules over the underworld (Hel); which thought was a cold misty place of lost souls?
Hel(heimr) is where most of the dead reside. It is described as a tundra land, covered in mist, but this is likely meant to mean the "shroud of death". In Heathenry, there isn't really such a thing as "lost souls".

rusra02

Premium Member
I am late for an appointment and my GPS seems to be fried.

Seriously.
What do all of the religious traditions say about Hell?
Is there any proof or did someone make it up?
The word "Hell" is an English word. Insight Vol 1, p.1087 states about hell; "Collier’s Encyclopedia (1986, Vol. 12, p. 28) says concerning “Hell”: “First it stands for the Hebrew Sheol of the Old Testament and the Greek Hades of the Septuagint and New Testament. Since Sheol in Old Testament times referred simply to the abode of the dead and suggested no moral distinctions, the word ‘hell,’ as understood today, is not a happy translation.”
It is, in fact, because of the way that the word “hell” is understood today that it is such an unsatisfactory translation of these original Bible words. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, under “Hell” says: “fr[om] . . . helan to conceal.” The word “hell” thus originally conveyed no thought of heat or torment but simply of a ‘covered over or concealed place.’ In the old English dialect the expression “helling potatoes” meant, not to roast them, but simply to place the potatoes in the ground or in a cellar." So I believe hell should properly be rendered grave.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard about the Highway to Hell. I think it's in Australia.

And then I've heard about going to Hell in a handbasket, although I'm not sure why a handbasket is the preferred vehicle for making the trip to Hell.

I'm not sure where it is. I always thought it was underground, perhaps in the Earth's core.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Seriously.

Earth, Earth is Hell. Jesus was one of the folks trying to spring your backside outta Hell. You think this is not Hell, then just ask yourself, who's running this place?

Baladas

An Págánach

Seriously.
My mother-in-law, or one of her friends might know. ;)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Seriously.

heaven and hell are states of mind. One man's trash might be another's treasure.

one idea of states of mind and heaven/hell is explained in the parable of the rich man and lazarus. there is a gulf between the perspective of the rich man vs Abraham and Lazarus.

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

those who listen and understand, have open minds.

Last edited:

Baroodi

The stick versus carrot. Basic logic of absolute justice. Those who commit unspeakable attrocities in this life and manage to escape for various reasons from the mundane justice can not dodge the ultimate devine justice. Hell is a genuine truth

Baroodi

(on that day people will proceed in scattered groups to be shown their deeds* then whoever has done an atom's weight of good, see it* and whoever has done an atom's weight of evil,see it) Quran 99:6:7:8