• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does animals have souls?

Polarbear

Do animals have souls? Are their souls different then human souls? What happens to animals when they die?

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

arthra

Baha'i
In the Baha'i view there is a kind of spirit but it is not like the soul of man..

Abdul-Baha explained it this way:

The animal spirit is the power of all the senses, which is realized from the composition and mingling of elements; when this composition decomposes, the power also perishes and becomes annihilated. ...

The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul; and these two names -- the human spirit and the rational soul -- designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings.

But the human spirit, unless assisted by the spirit of faith, does not become acquainted with the divine secrets and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, polished, and brilliant, is still in need of light. Until a ray of the sun reflects upon it, it cannot discover the heavenly secrets.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 316

It's also true though that kindness to animals is a necessary responsibility of man:

Then, O ye friends of God! Ye must not only have kind and merciful feelings for mankind, but ye should also exercise the utmost kindness towards every living creature. The physical sensibilities and instincts are common to animal and man. Man is, however, negligent of this reality and imagines that sensibility is peculiar to mankind, therefore he practices cruelty to the animal. In reality what difference is there in physical sensations! Sensibility is the same whether you harm man or animal: there is no difference. Nay, rather, cruelty to the animal is more painful because man has a tongue and he sighs, complains and groans when he receives an injury and complains to the government and the government protects him from cruelty; but the poor animal cannot speak, it can neither show its suffering nor is it able to appeal to the government. If it is harmed a thousand times by man it is not able to defend itself in words nor can it seek justice or retaliate.

Therefore one must be very considerate towards animals and show greater kindness to them than to man.

Educate the children in their infancy in such a way that they may become exceedingly kind and merciful to the animals. If an animal is sick they should endeavor to cure it; if it is hungry, they should feed it; if it is thirsty, they should satisfy its thirst; if it is tired, they should give it rest.

Man is generally sinful and the animal is innocent; unquestionably one must be more kind and merciful to the innocent. ...

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 373

It's often the case that cruelty to animals is a sign of emotional and psychological disorders in humans and should be taken very seriously!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To answer simply with three phrases related to each of the three questions of the OP: Yes. Sort of kind of not really. Roughly the same thing that happens to every other biological organism.

All a "soul" is in my book is the characteristic essence of something. All things of reality have a characteristic essence that may be defined. And, that essence is interwoven with the essences of everything else. When things "die" they are rewoven into some other part of the fabric.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Animals don't have souls. Neither do humans. Both humans and animals are souls. Genesis says that once the breath comes into the nostrils, then the lump of clay becomes a living soul.

Jain

Humans are animals. If souls exist, I'm sure that all animals have them, as well as all plants.

Yes, animals have souls. Why would one life form have souls but not another? :shrug:

It would make no sense for one animal (human) to have a soul and not the others. Either all animals have souls (includes humans) or all animals don't have a soul. I believe that all animals have a soul, it is what separates us from being inanimate.

Animals are reincarnated, just as we are reincarnated until we get it right. ;)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why would they need them, and why would anyone want to punish them with a soul?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What does jivatma mean?

Oh, sorry. :eek: Jivatma is the Hindu approximation of 'soul'. But it's composed of two parts... the jiva is the living essence of the being, that which makes us alive. The jiva changes through all its births, and becomes a different living essence. To the best of my knowledge it even exists between births.

The atma(n) is the actual Self (note the capital S), the unchanging Self. If one is Advaitin, it is Brahman within each of us. If one subscribes to another school of Vedanta, it is some portion of Brahman. The atman exists without the jiva, but the jiva doesn't exist without the atman.

Straw Dog

Life takes on many forms and some forms come to falsely believe that they are somehow separate from the greater flow of life that spawned them. In their isolation, they feel alien in the natural world when in reality it is their home. Holding onto a form indefinitely surmounts to denying the greater flow from expressing original beings. Acceptance of death in due time involves a sense of gratitude towards life for the opportunity to experience and a gift for new beings that have not yet formed, waiting for their time to shine. There are no isolated souls. There is only the Flow of Life with its infinite potentials for beautiful expression.

chinu

chinu
Do animals have souls?
Even rocks have souls.
Are their souls different then human souls?
No, their souls are not different from human souls, But.. their minds are different from humans.
What happens to animals when they die?
They also get next birth like humans, For example one insects can get the form of bird in next birth, One bird can get the form of animal in next birth, One animal can get the human form in next birth, All it depends on the conscious levels of the minds, If conscious level rises up then it gets upper froms, if conscious level lower downs than it gets lower forms.:)