• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to debate the Bible, djhwoodwerks?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't believe that a perfect God, Who wants us to have perfect knowledge, would allow His Words to be tampered with and then say, 'I didn't say that, oh well, I'll just fix it later, if they ask me to'.
Switch that around and see if it works.

A perfect God would not give us something to obey instead of God.
The conversation would go more like this: I was led by the words YOU , God, gave me. Now what will YOU do, God, to get me out of this pit YOU led me into?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
, 'I didn't say that, oh well, I'll just fix it later, if they ask me to'.
By magic? One day we will all wake up and the Bibles won't say do not by your own understanding ..............and make disciples.
What about all the words which are right but are being taught wrong? Should God fix that too? How? (I don't dare.)

I just realized that if you put them together they DO make sense.

Hear oh people I do not know

Do not by your own understanding be making disciples!

I believe that!

djhwoodwerks

I agree God is perfect. Can you convince anyone that what God wants is for "us to have perfect knowledge"? It seems to me that would counter this: Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that "We all possess knowledge." But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. (1 Corinthians 8:1)

You should not take scripture out of context to try and prove your point, it's rather silly to do!

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 (ESV Strong's) 1 Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.” This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. 2 If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.

Please read the whole of chapter 8 and see if it means that God doesn't want us to have knowledge of "HIM".

djhwoodwerks

Just know that I believe that view is childish. It is as though you believe the words can save you.
John 5:39
Matthew 11:28 Are you not going to the Bible?
Matthew 28:20 If he is with you, why not listen to HIM?

That's your opinion, everyone has one.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You should not take scripture out of context to try and prove your point, it's rather silly to do!

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 (ESV Strong's) 1 Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.” This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. 2 If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.

Please read the whole of chapter 8 and see if it means that God doesn't want us to have knowledge of "HIM".
Please stop making everything black OR white. You say, ""God wants us to have "perfect knowledge"" Prove it. My point was that love is what God wants us to have. Knowledge is something that not everyone can own. Sometimes (and this is evident many times over) knowledge can become a person's idol.
It would not be written at all if only the knowledge of idol worship makes a person puffed up.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see this:

My stand: You will know Jesus and Jesus will set you free

Your stand: You will know what the Bible really teaches and if you follow what you know you will be set free.

djhwoodwerks

You say, ""God wants us to have "perfect knowledge"" Prove it.

Romans 15:14 (ESV Strong's) 14 I myself am satisfied about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able to instruct one another.

1 Corinthians 1:5-6 (ESV Strong's) 5 that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge— 6 even as the testimony about Christ was confirmed among you—

1 Corinthians 12:8 (ESV Strong's) 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,

djhwoodwerks

I see this:

My stand: You will know Jesus and Jesus will set you free

Your stand: You will know what the Bible really teaches and if you follow what you know you will be set free.

John 8:31-32 (ESV Strong's) 31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

djhwoodwerks

So? Why not address the point? Do you believe words can save you?

Matthew 12:36-37 (ESV Strong's) I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Romans 10:9-10 (ESV Strong's) 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
John 8:31-32 (ESV Strong's) 31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
Now your being just plain silly. He says my word is truth. YOU say the Bible is the truth. FYI most of the Bible is not Jesus' words. Ever hear of the Red Letter Bible?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Matthew 12:36-37 (ESV Strong's) I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Romans 10:9-10 (ESV Strong's) 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Sorry, wrong again. It doesn't say, "is saved". It says "in the mouth moreover is confession unto salvation." It means to confess salvation. It doesn't say to be saved.

To confess that I am saved does not make it so. It helps.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't that what "EVERYONE" on earth does?
No. I think that slaves can't follow what they know. Children don't follow what they know. Some wives and husbands do not follow what they know. Sometimes students can't follow what they know. So, no, not everyone follows what they know.

So far this is an easy win for me. Can you step it up a bit?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Romans 15:14 (ESV Strong's) 14 I myself am satisfied about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able to instruct one another.

1 Corinthians 1:5-6 (ESV Strong's) 5 that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge— 6 even as the testimony about Christ was confirmed among you—

1 Corinthians 12:8 (ESV Strong's) 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
First of all they might just be full of knowledge of the Hebrew scriptures. 2 Timothy 3:15
Also, full of knowledge is not the same as perfect knowledge. You said perfect, not filled.

If you had listened to the video you might have learned that Jewish children learned scripture. They could recite it. They KNEW it.
If you had paid some little attention to it you would have learned that each young man learned the meaning of scripture as their mentor taught it.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the funny 'vision' I just received. It is based on some people's perception that if there would be anything wrong in the Bible, none it of can be considered right.

I think most people will agree there is wisdom contained in the Bible.

But to believe that the wisdom in it isn't worthy to be called wisdom if the whole thing isn't wisdom is like this:

Wisdom isn't wisdom if it isn't standing next to wisdom. Haha It's probably not funny, but I think it is.

Do you get it?

Just so you know, it isn't me who ever thinks that wisdom isn't wisdom if it isn't in a book of ALL wisdom.

djhwoodwerks

By magic? One day we will all wake up and the Bibles won't say do not by your own understanding ..............and make disciples.
What about all the words which are right but are being taught wrong? Should God fix that too? How? (I don't dare.)

I just realized that if you put them together they DO make sense.

Hear oh people I do not know

Do not by your own understanding be making disciples!

I believe that!

You can put any verses together, that doesn't make them right!

1 Corinthians 9:14 (ESV Strong's) In the same way, the Lord commanded that, Genesis 37:26 (ESV Strong's) we kill our brother and conceal his blood.

djhwoodwerks

If you had paid some little attention to it you would have learned that each young man learned the meaning of scripture as their mentor taught it.

And who were their mentors?

Matthew 23:13 (ESV Strong's) 13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

Matthew 23:15 (ESV Strong's) Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

Matthew 23:23 (ESV Strong's) “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

Matthew 23:25 (ESV Strong's) 25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!