• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to debate the Bible, djhwoodwerks?

djhwoodwerks

I understand "all scripture inspired of God" might mean (to some people - not me) that GOD inspired each word. I am not aware of any promise of God
to keep each inspired word pure.

Actually, if you think about it, Paul wrote that to Timothy. What was the Scripture to Paul? The only Scripture they had, our Old Testament. Paul wasn't referring to the New Testament, it hadn't been written yet.

djhwoodwerks

@djhwoodwerks why won't you explain how you know the Bible has been kept pure ie all right, nothing wrong in it?

Because the God I know, isn't a God of confusion. I don't, and can't believe He would have given His written word and then allow it to be screwed with and say, "oh well, that's not what I meant, but I'll just let them argue about it and try and figure out what I really meant. If they can't figure it out, oh well."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, if you think about it, Paul wrote that to Timothy. What was the Scripture to Paul? The only Scripture they had, our Old Testament. Paul wasn't referring to the New Testament, it hadn't been written yet.
I agree with you! :)

So? What about the new testament? Can the modern Bible be trusted to be all true, new and old together?

djhwoodwerks

I see God is True. I see the Bible is not God. There is ONE GOD. To be saying the Bible is true and is able to lead a person is to replace God with it.
To do so is a sin imho.

The why do you even read the Bible at all? If you believe the Bible has even one mistake, it makes the whole book invalid.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because the God I know, isn't a God of confusion. I don't, and can't believe He would have given His written word and then allow it to be screwed with and say, "oh well, that's not what I meant, but I'll just let them argue about it and try and figure out what I really meant. If they can't figure it out, oh well."
What would it take for God to make the people who chose the books and explained the books to be right about everything?
I think you might think about the difficulty in writing THROUGH people. God would have had to enter all those people who had anything to do with our modern Bible.

djhwoodwerks

What would it take for God to make the people who chose the books and explained the books to be right about everything?
I think you might think about the difficulty in writing THROUGH people. God would have had to enter all those people who had anything to do with our modern Bible.

Did God "enter" you when He told you the Bible was wrong for saying, "make" disciples of all nations?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The why do you even read the Bible at all? If you believe the Bible has even one mistake, it makes the whole book invalid.
NO, I don't believe you believe that. You seem to me to be a person of intelligence. How can you say a lesson must be without error to be useful?
I can learn from all the parts of it that are right. Why not?

Also, mistakes are for learning too. I am evolving. When I started writing on the internet I made many mistakes. But I learned from them.
I am learning from the mistakes in the Bible. I think that if you do not recognize the mistakes, you can not learn from them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did God "enter" you when He told you the Bible was wrong for saying, "make" disciples of all nations?
God didn't tell me that. The Bible is missing the verb make. It makes much, much, much, much, much, much ,much, much, much more sense that he said to BE disciples. You have shut off your thinking ability or you are posing.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A teacher dies so the disciples of that teacher are not disciples of that teacher any longer. True or false?

Matthew 26:31 Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: "'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'

Do not forsake gathering together......as what? Disciples

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why did Jesus say, "be my disciples" to his disciples? First of all, he was no longer in the flesh because he was killed. Their teacher seemed to be gone.
But he is telling them that he will keep teaching them. Of course, he could not say, "I will keep teaching you" because it is only true for the few who choose to be taught by him and are able. "He who has an ear......listen".
What does he end up saying to them? "I will be with you".

What is a disciple?

Please listen to minutes 9:28-10:20 especially

djhwoodwerks

God didn't tell me that. The Bible is missing the verb make. It makes much, much, much, much, much, much ,much, much, much more sense that he said to BE disciples. You have shut off your thinking ability or you are posing.

I think you are reading way too much into the word "make" when you read it, as if you are thinking it means to 'forcibly make' people disciples.

djhwoodwerks

Proverbs 3:5 (JPS 1917) 5 Trust in the LORD with all thy heart, and lean not upon thine own understanding.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Proverbs 3:5 (JPS 1917) 5 Trust in the LORD with all thy heart, and lean not upon thine own understanding.
I think you mean this. Djhoodwerks says, "trust in what was written long, long ago and translated with all your heart and on your own understanding do not lean"

Heads up! "Own" was added.

What it used to say is, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and on understanding do not lean".

Tell me. Are you going to say the Bible has understanding of its own so you lean on its understanding?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
g3100. μαθητεύω mathēteuō; from 3101; intransitively, to become a pupil; transitively, to disciple, i.e. enrol as scholar: — be disciple, instruct, teach.
Yes we have been over this many times. The teacher was dead. Maybe they thought they were not his disciples any more because he was dead. So he was reminding them that they WERE still his disciples.

Having gone, therefore, disciple to the nations. Jesus would be everywhere now. Right? He said, "I will be with you". Was he lying?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Answer me this. Does the Bible say that when Jesus died his apostles were done learning? Had they learned everything they needed to know to be complete at the time Jesus said, "disciple" (the verb)?

djhwoodwerks

I think you mean this. Djhoodwerks says, "trust in what was written long, long ago and translated with all your heart and on your own understanding do not lean"

Heads up! "Own" was added.

What it used to say is, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and on understanding do not lean".

Tell me. Are you going to say the Bible has understanding of its own so you lean on its understanding?

If you want to go there, none of the words, on, your, own, are in the original.