• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to debate the Bible, djhwoodwerks?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am interested in what the Bible really teaches and like you @djhwoodwerks I am certain that the Jehovah's Witnesses, who claim they know it, do not. That belief might be the only thing we have in common. Do you want to have a go at it?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't see when @djhwoodwerks is on line as he does not have a green dot. I think it is a he. I am a she.
AND, even though my JW friend on line says surely I wasn't a Jehovah's Witness, I was one for approximately twenty years.
At one time I was interested in what the Bible says, but then I got busy ruining my life and I forgot about it. The JWs came to my garden
and said, "Jesus", so I listened. Then they came each week or so to study the Watchtower with me. I can't say it was fun.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think I might be at an advantage as I don't have a lot of things I must do. I am retired. I am 60 years old. I am a wife and a mother.
I have some real friends, but not many. I write a blog sometimes. It is not popular. I am from a lower middle class family but now I am middle middle class. That is only because of my husband who has no idea what I am doing most of the time. He knows I am not dusting.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suppose we could begin by declaring whether we believe the Bible is without interpretive error or not.

I believe some words interpreted are enough to "mislead the entire inhabited Earth".

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I realize there is a difference between knowing words and knowing meaning. If you do not want to talk about meaning, then there is no debating imo.
I do not debate words. I debate the meaning of words, so therefore, I debate meaning.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He he, I'm stupid, yes I meant to say I don't need to debate, I'll discuss though.:oops:
Perfect! You have demonstrated the difference between words and their meaning. I could discern from the sentence that you meant you don't debate. Thank you! Not stupid. Spirit directed. ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I personally see the bible stories as mostly metaphors, an example of the story of Peter and Jesus walking on the water.
Jesus Walks on Water
…28“Lord, if it is You,” Peter replied, “command me to come to You on the water.” 29“Come”, said Jesus. ThenPeter got down out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the strength of the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”…

I see the metaphor of this story as ourselves, when we are One with our true inner Being, or One with the Source or Consciousness, which is our true Home, we walk above the chaos of the world, but when we take our spiritual eye of the center of out Being we then sink under the chaos, and this is what the meaning of the storm is.

To take the stories literal is not seeing the spiritual significance of that story, you then see the meaning in the characters within the story, the whole bible to me is all about us, its our story.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hm The reasons why the fish isn't biting. Scared? Timid? I personally have eliminated timid as a reason. I read his posts. @djhwoodwerks isn't timid.

I understand "all scripture inspired of God" might mean (to some people - not me) that GOD inspired each word. I am not aware of any promise of God
to keep each inspired word pure. That is what I think I need to know to be able to consider the possibility that everything we have in the Bible is worthy of being considered "the truth".

Might I be convinced? I do not know. Nobody has ever tried.

djhwoodwerks

Hm The reasons why the fish isn't biting. Scared? Timid? I personally have eliminated timid as a reason. I read his posts. @djhwoodwerks isn't timid.

I understand "all scripture inspired of God" might mean (to some people - not me) that GOD inspired each word. I am not aware of any promise of God
to keep each inspired word pure. That is what I think I need to know to be able to consider the possibility that everything we have in the Bible is worthy of being considered "the truth".

Might I be convinced? I do not know. Nobody has ever tried.

I see you've decided to take me off ignore, why is that?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see God is True. I see the Bible is not God. There is ONE GOD. To be saying the Bible is true and is able to lead a person is to replace God with it.
To do so is a sin imho.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@djhwoodwerks please notice the date of the thread. It was before I put you on ignore for that day.

I am curious. Maybe the reason why God talks to me and not to you is because I do not quit asking.

What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?What does it mean?